Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Jus Bought `05 SE, makin list of fixes for dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:03 AM
kww
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jus Bought `05 SE, makin list of fixes for dealer

Just bought the wife an `05 Magnum SE 2.7L RWD, it was a good deal and should get better gas mileage than our `95 Explorer 2WD did in the city. We also considered the Chrysler 300 base model with same specs. All she does is city driving. What a big car the magnum is to manhandle around!

I attached some photos of the one we bought. Right at 20k on the ODO when we got it home.

The dealership had two rental returns, both which ended up pulling to the right upon test drive. Looks like I'll be tabulating the TSB numbers (from this site, thanks a million) and asking that the cradle get realigned on ours (or whatever it is supposed to take). The other Magnum was silver and had been treated poorly. DR side A-pillar cover looked like someone opened it up with a screwdriver to install XM radio... back seat had a major tear in the middle, body wasn't as clean and ding free, etc. The only blem I could find on ours was a small scrape on the PS front fascia.

Here's what I've noticed so far:
- Both rear tires are cupped/feathered on the outside edge (kinda like the tread is serrated, one high, next one low and so forth). They must have been rotated off the front.
-PS side floor rattles when you put your foot down, sounds like the floor vent isn't secured. Anyone heard of or seen this?
-Rear seat vents don't blow hardly at all on any setting. What could this possibly be? I hope they don't have to dismantle the interior to find it. Front vents work great. The left side seems to work a little better than the right... maybe a poor vacuum connection or ???
-looks like the rear diff leaked at one time... there is some orange silicone between the cover and the casting. Am questioning what happened back since this was a rental return. It is dry now but still quite a bit of residue back there. I'll be checking it regularly for a while until I am satisfied its okay.

Other than that, what a fun car. I currently drive an `02 GTI 1.8T on the daily commute and am wondering how much more fun a 300 with the 2.7L would be! I know I wouldn't have nearly the same power to weight ratio but what fun cars the Magnums/300s are to drive. People really give you funny looks driving a Magnum around. Seems like they're still quite rare around here (Carson City, NV).

PS - No fair anyone bashing us buying a rental return, we played it to our advantage during the sale with the CarFax!

Kris

[IMG]local://upfiles/23942/BEF1CC0639704A66A98DCC48511E4A18.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23942/63BE5230B03C42C39743C9B58550D2B4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23942/F77FF90F6327470BADCD946AC1054803.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-08-2005, 08:30 AM
strippedhemi
Veteran
Default RE: Jus Bought `05 SE, makin list of fixes for dealer

My buddies V6 had a rear end pinion seal leak that they repaired. Ive got some cupping as you describe on my Hemi with 10K. Ive seen others with the same thing so it might be something in the front end geometry that was misdesigned. Im not able to rotate my tires front to rear because of custom rim differences. It is strange though because other than the feathering, normal wear is even across the whole tire in general. There is a plastic snap on panel underneath both sides over the front part of the floor. It snaps on with plastic clips from the floorpan to the wheelwell liner. It could possibly be loose. I actually removed both sides of mine to make room for side pipes. Just pulling them off and undercoating that area has created no problems. Also check that the engine compartment lower plastic cover is properly reinstalled. It has to be removed to change oil and filter....and we know how incompetent oil change places are.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Magman3
Professional

I'm not sure on how the warranty works on these cars. I would bet that you will be stuck with the tires if you bought used. You may could throw a temper tantrum or threaten to return the car if they don't replace the tires. As far as the vents and rear differential those are things that should be covered by the standard 3/36 warranty. I read somewhere that the powertrain 7/70 warranty does not transfer owners, but you should be ok since the car has only 20k miles. As far as the noise goes, my Magnum makes every possible noise when on the highway at high speeds. I've had it at the dealership several times but they can't find anything wrong with it. Good luck with her, these cars are great!

Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 AM
undropped
Veteran

welcome to the se club, we be far and few, hope you not in too much of a hurry in the commute. But going slow isn't all bad, people have more time to stare at that naked lady on the side.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:43 AM
kww

Thanks guys. What I mean by the sound on the passenger side floor is that, on the inside of the car, when you set your feet on the carpet, it sounds like the vent is not secured. It seems like putting your feet on the plastic vent duct makes it shift and cause a noise. No driving of the car required.

undropped - thanks for the vote of confidence. The car seems to get around fine but you're right, no speed records for us. BTW, I dig your car, kudos for making an already low car even lower! Wish ours had the roof rack, we ended up buying the removable rack at cost which wasn't bad.

Magman3 - I agree the warranty on the tires is questionable, and you were right the standard 3/36 warranty is what we have. I'm wondering if Les Schwab Tires (West Coast tire dealer) has a choice for these cars yet...

I checked the front tires and they have some cupping on the outside edge as well. I'll be making the dealer appointment this week for sure.

Lastly, wife noticed today that the PRND3L panel gets HOT... probably due to the bulb underneath. I wonder if it could be converted to LED? Or is this something the dealer should review?

Kris

Old 11-15-2005, 02:24 AM
wisconsinmagnum
Rookie

KWW I WANT YOUR HEADLIGHTS.......

but you are to far away to meet for a swap if you wanted to.

I have been looking for a while now and it is so hard to find people to swap. maybe its the fact that i live in wisconsin???? lol
but anyway nice ride i would have bought a V6 bought i couldnt pass up the HEMI.

as far as the headlights go i already got on that one site for swaping but my name is not on the list yet... whats with that i dont know?

there are a few SE's in town but i always see them when i am working and cant stop to ask them if they wanna swap headlights. the other day my buddy told me to becareful who i say that to cause a woman might think the wrong thing about headlights lol. so if anyone knows any wisconsin people that have an SE and wanna swap please send them my way.......

thanx again
DJ MATTYBOY

Old 11-17-2005, 05:29 PM
snailtek

welcome to the SE-lite club.. i too have bought a return rental vehicle last september @ 14900 miles on it at a price u can't imagine.. 17K, it comes with 3/36 basic manufacturers warranty and a 7/70 extended free of charge from a non-dodge dealer, its a silver and swapped the headlamp to a friend last two weekends with a chrome one.. (looks better), anyway, rental returns aren't that bad, my last vehicle is a 98 durango, a rental return also has 69k when i bought it in year 2001 and have no failures whatsoever.. if the gas prices didn't jacked-up that bad? i would still be driving my ole durango with 140k on it still.. hehehe

enjoy the forum..

Old 12-12-2005, 02:16 AM
LakeErieFish
Rookie

Hello Snailtek!
I couldn't resist the reply but, I recently bought the Red Hemi R/T RWD that was on display at the Chicago Auto Show last year. The basic 3/36 warranty is Free. BUT the 7/70 Powertrain warranty is a $150.00 transfer cost to the second owner. Please do yourself a favor and double check to make sure you have the 7/70 Powertrain coverages. You also must pay for the 7/70 transfer with-in 30 days of purchase. Just don't want to see anyone get the screwed later-on.....

Happy Holidays!

Quick Reply: Jus Bought `05 SE, makin list of fixes for dealer