Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

'06 5.7 engine cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:56 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '06 5.7 engine cuts out

Okay has anyone had the issue with the engine cutting out I get a chime engine light blinks and then the motor catches again? Only happens when in drive checked it no codes. I've got 116,000 on it. The other weird thing is that during the winter I will get the code for coolant temp sensor but when the weather warms up it goes away. Is the ECM going wonky on me?

Dudester

Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 PM
anton188
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check the spare well!!

Gonna sound weird but my 06 R/T was doing the same thing. Per chance I happened to go into the spare well for something and discovered almost 4" of water!! Apparently, the seam at the right side rear hatch below the roof channel had split and water was running down the body into the well.
On semi-hard acceleration or when going uphill or when turning, the water was sloshing around just enough to get into the relay box behind the battery! The jack was ruined and it took quite a while to clean everything up. Local body shop found the leak and repaired from the inside. Maggie has been fine since.
This may not be your issue but when was the last time you looked in the spare well? Good luck!

Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 PM
soar_dude
Professional

Yeah I checked that already at one time I had a leak in the sun roof and water would travel to the spare well. Now that has me wondering if I could some mositure damage issues. More investigation when the weather gets better.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:35 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Default Eureka I think

Found some obscure info on a possible solution. Guy had a similar issue changed out the crank position sensor and it fixed the problem. Well I mistook the cam sensor for the crank sensor I cleaned the contacts and put so dielectric grease in the connector well it was good for a couple of days then things went downhill quick. Installed a new cam sensor and have not had it stall out so far. I will post again in a week or so if it is still working.

Dudester

Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Default Success

Okay successful solution the cam position sensor was sending intermittent signal to the PCM causing the cutting out of the engine.

Dudester

Old 08-04-2017, 10:35 AM
Mom's magnum
Default Cam position sensor

I've had the similar problem for the last 2 years. My engine will cut of, as if you turn switch off, while sitting at a red light, stop sign, or drive through. It will restart while holding throttle a quarter of the way. I'm curious if replacing this sensor has cured your problem, since it's been about a month?

Old 08-04-2017, 12:04 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Default Yeah not quite

It has started cutting out again. When it happened though I caught the throttle system warning light come on and go out. So checking what could be causing it is either the pedal position sensor or the throttle body itself. I'm starting with the pedal sensor on the thought that I had a leak in my sun roof for some time and that moisture has messed up the sensor.

D​​​​​udester

Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Mom's magnum
Default Throttle body

Nope that's not it either. I had mine changed also, but in about 3 weeks it started doing the same as before. This is what I've had done to try and fix my problem, throttle body and position sensor, coil packs, new plugs (non platinum), replace fuel tank (recall). My technician has kept and drove it while monitoring PCM with code reader, it throws no codes. We are both pulling our hair out. Like I've said it been 2 years, now it's not wanting to start anytime I start it. But the second try it will start right up. Thanks for your help, but if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:22 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

3 major things that cause cutouts on the LX cars.

1: There are BUS wires to the TCM (NAG Trans Only) that are routed by the parking brake assembly and they can rub through temporarily shorting the BUS to ground. May or may not have TCM/PCM communication codes show up.

2: The orientation of the PCM (vertical and sideways) causes the wiring harness to stress or pull down on the PCM connectors. This, in turn causes loose solder spots where the connector terminals meet the ckt board. C-2 is the biggest offender. Usually accompanied by ETC/Throttle Body codes.

3: Hemi only. Ignition Coils....around 120K or so, you'll get one that is a little overworked. It can and WILL spike the PCM and make it die or almost die and will also wipe the memory so no DTCs will show up. I have fixed 10 or so like this just this summer.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 AM
soar_dude
Professional
Default Coil packs

Thaks for the tip on the coil packs! I passed the 120k mark. If this does not fix it then on to the coil packs. When I was going through the logged engine data it showed a couple of misfires on the number one cylinder.