Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Craig82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

Engine swap. Can you swap a 4.7 magnum motor in a 2008 dodge magnum that came with a 2.7liter v6. If so, how difficult would it be.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:53 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 227 Likes on 207 Posts

LMAO......I will start out by saying that anything is possible with enough money and know how. If you are asking here then you definitely don't have at least one of those; Hopefully you have more of the other if your common sense doesn't take over.
So, the 4.7 was strictly a Ram and Jeep engine. It was never offered in an LX and with good reason; it would've been a heavier V8 that made less power than one of the available V6's. The standard (not counting the HO, because those are as rare as hen's teeth) 4.7 from 1999 to 2007 only made 235hp. The 3.5 V6 available in the LX platform made 250hp. I feel I should mention that upgrading from a 2.7 to a 3.5 is actually a viable swap and has been successfully done. In fact there is a 4.0 V6 of the same engine family that makes a bit more power than the 3.5 and is a bolt in when used with a few 3.5 parts. The 4.7 was upgraded for 2008-13 with more cam timing, compression, better heads and intake manifold, to the tune of 310hp in the Rams. Regardless of which one you would try to use, it was never meant to sit in an LX chassis. You'll need custom mounts most likely. The 4.7 was also never hooked to the only two transmissions offered in the LX, the 42RLE and the NAG1. The 42RLE was hooked to the 3.7 (4.7's baby bro) so you could bolt the trans to the engine, though it wouldn't last long from the higher torque of the V8. Since the the hemi was both hooked to the RFE and the NAG1, and the 4.7 was hooked to the RFE, logically a 4.7 should bolt to a NAG1. Problem is you don't have one, you have the weak 42RLE trans. This would require more custom wiring than you're already going to have because to run a NAG1 you need a TCM wired in (2.7 PCM does double duty for engine & trans). Your stock PCM is designed for a V6 in a CAN bus environment. The only CAN bus 4.7 installs were again, Jeeps and Rams but different bus speeds so you can't just integrate one of those PCM's into the car. Even worse with the 2008-13 4.7 because it has twin plug heads. The only way I could possibly see this working would be to convert the car to a hemi car PCM and TCM setup, then wire it to the engine and get a custom tune to DETUNE the stock parameters. By this point, you'd be better off swapping in a 5.7 hemi.

I have to ask, what led you to this idea? Have an 08 Magnum with a blown up 2.7 and someone offered you a 4.7 or you found one in a junkyard and though that might work?

Old 10-17-2020, 04:44 AM
Craig82
Default Magnum swap

Originally Posted by Magnoom
LMAO......I will start out by saying that anything is possible with enough money and know how. If you are asking here then you definitely don't have at least one of those; Hopefully you have more of the other if your common sense doesn't take over.
So, the 4.7 was strictly a Ram and Jeep engine. It was never offered in an LX and with good reason; it would've been a heavier V8 that made less power than one of the available V6's. The standard (not counting the HO, because those are as rare as hen's teeth) 4.7 from 1999 to 2007 only made 235hp. The 3.5 V6 available in the LX platform made 250hp. I feel I should mention that upgrading from a 2.7 to a 3.5 is actually a viable swap and has been successfully done. In fact there is a 4.0 V6 of the same engine family that makes a bit more power than the 3.5 and is a bolt in when used with a few 3.5 parts. The 4.7 was upgraded for 2008-13 with more cam timing, compression, better heads and intake manifold, to the tune of 310hp in the Rams. Regardless of which one you would try to use, it was never meant to sit in an LX chassis. You'll need custom mounts most likely. The 4.7 was also never hooked to the only two transmissions offered in the LX, the 42RLE and the NAG1. The 42RLE was hooked to the 3.7 (4.7's baby bro) so you could bolt the trans to the engine, though it wouldn't last long from the higher torque of the V8. Since the the hemi was both hooked to the RFE and the NAG1, and the 4.7 was hooked to the RFE, logically a 4.7 should bolt to a NAG1. Problem is you don't have one, you have the weak 42RLE trans. This would require more custom wiring than you're already going to have because to run a NAG1 you need a TCM wired in (2.7 PCM does double duty for engine & trans). Your stock PCM is designed for a V6 in a CAN bus environment. The only CAN bus 4.7 installs were again, Jeeps and Rams but different bus speeds so you can't just integrate one of those PCM's into the car. Even worse with the 2008-13 4.7 because it has twin plug heads. The only way I could possibly see this working would be to convert the car to a hemi car PCM and TCM setup, then wire it to the engine and get a custom tune to DETUNE the stock parameters. By this point, you'd be better off swapping in a 5.7 hemi.

I have to ask, what led you to this idea? Have an 08 Magnum with a blown up 2.7 and someone offered you a 4.7 or you found one in a junkyard and though that might work?
I have the know how just needed to see if the mounts would on the motor or if the motor would fit an what wiring would have been involved. Has nothing to do with know how.. I have a magnum wit a junk 2.7 liter an have a 4.7liter sitting in a dodge durango that has a blown rear end. Thats why i was asking.. Not to be insulted. But thanks.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Old 10-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Craig82
I have the know how just needed to see if the mounts would on the motor or if the motor would fit an what wiring would have been involved. Has nothing to do with know how.. I have a magnum wit a junk 2.7 liter an have a 4.7liter sitting in a dodge durango that has a blown rear end. Thats why i was asking.. Not to be insulted. But thanks.
If you got insulted from that reply (especially if you actually read the whole thing and didn't pick out the bits that triggered you) then your skin is too thin to be an actual mechanic anyway and this won't work regardless lol. Good luck! Make sure you post update pictures!

Old 10-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Craig82

If you got insulted from that reply (especially if you actually read the whole thing and didn't pick out the bits that triggered you) then your skin is too thin to be an actual mechanic anyway and this won't work regardless lol. Good luck! Make sure you post update pictures!
wow what a bunch douche bag trolls. You all can eat a bag dicks an the same with the forum. Must be nice to sit in a basement an copy an paste a chiltons manual. You ****ing tools. Simply question..just needed a simple answer, not some wanna be tire an lub guy that couldnt hack it as a mechanic pipe of hp an pins ****ing poser...

Old 10-18-2020, 12:08 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

1. Right back at ya.
2. I use factory manuals because Chiltons and Haynes blow goats (sounds you should be familiar with the goat blowing).
3. I have been a professional mechanic for over 30yrs (added HVAC tech to that about 11yrs ago) and have been specializing in LX's and 3rd gen Rams and their systems (which is how I knew all the **** I typed int he first post off the top of my head....ya know, the **** you didn't know and couldn't be bothered to look up for yourself because you're a lazy POS lol) since they were introduced.
4. Are you drunk or having a stroke? What in the actual f@ck is "that couldnt hack it as a mechanic pipe of hp an pins ****ing poser..."???? English??
5. I stand by statement, every mech and tech I've ever worked with is full of pranks and insults; there's no way in HELL you'd hack it as one with ***** skin that thin, or else you're the guy everyone HATES LMAO.

I do wish you the best of luck attempting this lunacy, especially after I told you how you could make your life easier. Have a few drinks, snowflake. Life is hard. It's harder when you're dumb lol.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:47 PM
Default Dude was asking an honest question

Dude was asking an honest question, you didn't have to be a complete douche with the answer you gave. A single yes/no woulda worked.
And holding your dad's flashlight for 30yrs doesn't count as a mechanic

Old 03-31-2022, 09:12 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 512029
Dude was asking an honest question, you didn't have to be a complete douche with the answer you gave. A single yes/no woulda worked.
And holding your dad's flashlight for 30yrs doesn't count as a mechanic
It was laughable question
You're right, but 30+ years as a mechanic does
Did you create a generic account JUST put your worthless two cents in on a 2 year old thread? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAA

Old 09-03-2023, 01:33 PM
Tricey J

Ok so having said all that, can u swap out the 2.7 for a 3.5? I have an 08 magnum as well, motor locked up. I understand what u said about the PCM and transmission, but I'm a beginner and a female and this is only my second project.

Quick Reply: Engine swap