Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Any and ALL complaints about your magnum

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 03:35 AM
Hemi RT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any and ALL complaints about your magnum

Post all your complaints....radio...sterring...noises...squeaks. ..let others know what you have to say

Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 AM
69RoadRunner
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any and ALL complaints about your magnum

It hasn't been scheduled to be built yet!![:@]

Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 PM
shiltz
Captain

the only complaint I have is I wish the visors had the little slide out extenders like the neon I owned a few years back did cause they really aren't long enough when the sun is on the drivers side of the car.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:02 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

Just a few:

Radio (6-disc, MP3): Seems prone to skipping, especially when playing MP3 encoded discs.
Tires: Understeer is significant in rain.
Paint: While beautiful, the paint on my black R/T is very thin and fragile. A light hit will allow you to see the metal of the body panel. Buy some good touch-up!

Other than that I can't complain. Having owned a few Mercedes and Cadillac products (as well as a handful of street rods and 60'/70's muscle cars) a can say without hesitation that the Magnum is easily among my favorites.

Nick

Old 07-20-2004, 03:14 PM
fullauto

The exhaust note, or total lack thereof, sucks. I'm looking high and low to find a shop I trust to do a custom exhaust. It should give some hint to the power it has.

I haven't noticed a single skip with my MP3 / 6 disc changer. I live near Chicago and the roads suck around here... lots of pot holes. Not a single skip yet, and it's always on.

The car really doesn't handle well in turns. Like my old C4 Vettes, when you hit a bump in a turn, the car over steers. It doesn't inspire confidence in the handling department... but then it is a very heavy passenger car, so I can live with it.

I wish it had more aggressive tires/wheels. While the rims are tall, they aren't very deep. The tires still look too small for the car. 20" rims with lower profile tires are definitely in order.

Fit and finish seem pretty good so far. The paint does appear to be a little thin.

No rattles or squeaks to report thus far.

Tim

Old 07-20-2004, 06:46 PM
dcguy2

For my SXT:

1) Obviously, the alignment issue was a big pain in the **** and not acceptable on a brand new car with zero miles. Anyway, it finally got fixed, but it is still very sensitive to road crown and I'm not 100% convinced it's properly fixed. You can see lots of posts about the Magnum pulling to the right.

2) A tad too much understeer, especially not good in the rain. Fyi, I noticed MORE understeer after they monkeyed with the alignment the second time. If you are considering buying a Magnum, you may want to wait for the AWD model (of course, it will cost you more). I bought mine primarily because of price. $24k for an SXT with sunroof (no leather).

3) Mine has an annoying wind noise issue. It's like a flapping sound coming from the left A-pillar or engine compartment area. Another SXT did not have this. So far, service has not been able to pinpoint the issue.

4) Hard materials in the cabin where you really need padding: i.e., center console armrest, and the center console down by the steering wheel where sometimes you rest your knee or shin.

5) Transmission ratios. Granted I have an SXT, but it the trans. seems to sap the power out of it. I don't like the shifting periods. I owned an SUV before this, which was almost 400 pounds heavier. It had a less powerfull 230hp engine with 230ft-lb torque (whereas the SXT has 250/250) and my SUV just "felt" faster than the SXT. The shifts were so sharp that it would almost chirp the tires going from first to second. I liked that (it was a 4-speed also).

6) Cloth seats are a bit hard, especially if you're wider in da butt. I'm 6'1, 220lbs, and the bolsters on the side of the seat bottom (not the side of the back rest) sometimes get uncomfortable.

7) The tailgate grip handle is pretty useless when trying to shut the hatch. But my SUVs was about the same.

8) Oh yeah, mine had a broken headlight assembly right off the bat, even before I drove it off the lot. It was a broken plastic clip in the engine compartment that held the assembly tight, but again, pretty unacceptable for a brand new car. The salesman said they had other SXTs with the same problem. Probably happens during transport.

9) I also have a broken headliner clip causing a slight sag in the rear headliner. They have a new clip on order but of course the parts supply on these cars is very tight so it's taking a while.

Okay, so those are my main gripes so far. I test drove this car twice so I knew what I was getting into. I like everything else enough that it was worth buying for $24k. If I had paid $30k+ for the R/T and experienced these same problems I would be upset.

There are a lot more things I like about this car than I dislike at the moment. Please don't let my list of problems/comlaints scare you from buying one or being excited about yours! I have a high threshold for dealing with these new model bugs.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:13 PM
jibber11

I've had less problems so far, then with any other new car I bought. I think people expect more from this car for some reason, maybe because it is so cool! My mp3 player has not yet had a skip. I did however got a scratch on the roof, just by putting a plate on the roof while i opened the door, and the car was heavely waxed(also black), but Man this car is way cool, and you atrract attention like you can not even guess.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Hemi RT
Professional

HEY BLACKMAG!!

Where'd you get the red R/T emblem?

Old 07-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Redhouse
Rookie

I've had my SXT for a month now and right off the lot it has been 100% perfect. The car runs awesome. I have not experienced any of these problems that have been mentioned. My Magnum is in the Mineral Gray color. The paint is rich and thick and as with all my new cars, it got a nice coat of Maguire's Gold Class, which gave it a deep, lusterous shine. I have the 6 disc MP3 Player, the stereo was weak when I got it, so I customized it. New speakers, Amps and Sub's. There was nothing wrong with the factory stereo, it's just that my personal preference is higher end after market Audio. I must be one of the lucky ones. My Magnum by far is one of my favorites. I can not park anywhere without drawing a crowd. I had the dealer rust proof it with the undercoating, they said it went on a inch thick. It made the ride so quite, you hear nothing while driving. Just like the commercial it fits my guitars and amps perfectly. Redhouse

Old 07-21-2004, 02:24 AM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

It is from a '70 Challenger R/T. I'll see if I can dig up the part number for you but they are pricey (in the $40-50 range).

Nick

Quick Reply: Any and ALL complaints about your magnum