Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004 | 01:28 AM
Cr@zy Squ33
Default RE: 97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly

ORIGINAL: NeoAngelo

Ok, a couple things. Squee, I love you. Secondly, don't hate me, but I'm lost. I know where the throttle body is (I plugged in my intake there, right? :P Thirdly, I need pictures or something, I have a real hard time visualizing... I'm so sorry for all the trouble, It's my only car and I can't drive it right now. Thanks again guys!

Linkage.

Top view.

Ok, keep in mind this is my 62mm Jeep TB but the setup on it is for a Neon so the sensor placement is going to be the same.

We'll start witht he first pic. The one of the linkage. See where the black plastic half-moon shaped thing is? That's where the throttle cable goes. Directly to the right of that you'll see a tab with a button type **** on it. That's where the transmission kickdown cable goes.

Now, the second pic. Directly across from the linkage to the left you see a part sticking out? That's where the throttle position sensor is. And on the bottom of the picture is where the idle air control sensor is. Hope that helps ya.

Old 10-01-2004 | 02:36 AM
NeoAngelo
Rookie

THANK YOU SQUEE! I love you! I can do this now, it just takes me a little visualization. You didn't take that off just for me, did you?

Old 10-02-2004 | 02:58 AM
NeoAngelo
Rookie

Hey, I got a chance to look under the hood today... and there's a blue tube hanging from the like... the rear of the vavle cover.. sorta. Any clue?

Old 10-21-2004 | 10:34 PM
NeoAngelo
Rookie

Ok, I finally got the cash togather and called auto zone. They said that the car does not have a idle air sensor, he said they have a air control valve and the prices they gave me are
air control valve 66.99
throttle positioning sensor 89.99
Are these about right? I mean, I'm not sure here, just let me know! Thanks!

Old 10-21-2004 | 10:54 PM
casper
Legend

as far as I knew it was an Intake air temp sensor

Old 10-21-2004 | 11:00 PM
NeoAngelo
Rookie

Intake air temp? Thank you! I looked and saw two sensors, but I couldn't figure out why he said it didn't exist. :P THanks again!

Old 10-21-2004 | 11:19 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

FYI whomever told you that at AutoZone is an idiot an dneeds to be smacked.

There are two sensors ont he TB which are: Idle Air Control and Throttle Position Snesor.

TPS is the one in the center of the TB.

The IAC is off to the side. It is mechanical in design but acts as a sensor. It senses the air at idle and adjusts accordingly. Basically, it's a "Choke" in the simplest of terms.

So, the price he gave you for the air control valve of $66.99. Is wrong. Not only is it the incorrect part but the price is way too steep. You can get teh IAC for about $35-$40. I'd go somewhere with more intelligent employees. In fact, I may already have a spare in my closet I could sell you. I'd have to dig it out and check.

Quick Reply: 97 Neon Shuts Down Suddenly