Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Lowering a Neon

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Ryan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a Neon

Hi I am about to order wheels for my neon at the same time I want to lower it... If I go with the Eibach kit which comes with springs that lower it 1.5" Will I be able to do this myself.. If anyone knows how to can they let me know..? Also if i need to take it someone where would I take it to a reg. mechanic..? I have a pretty good set of tools only thing Im lacking which I can eaisily rent is a spring compressor...

Old 11-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Cr@zy Squ33
Default RE: Lowering a Neon

Its not too hard to do. You are going to want to remove the nuts fromt he top of the tower then the bolts on the controla arm from underneath. You will need an impact wrench to get the top nut off of the center of the strut. YOu will also need the spring compressor. And when its all said and done you will definitely need an alignment.

Also, sinc eyoua re lowering it it's recommended to buy new struts at the same time. Otherwise a few months down the road you'll be taking it apart again to change the struts.

Old 11-21-2004, 10:57 PM
nightstreetneon
Rookie

Would a car shop be able to put these on and how much would that run?

Old 11-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Yes, but expect to pay in blood and your soul.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:11 AM
casper
Legend

It really should not be that bad, I mean I would expect to pay $300-$400 in labor, but at $50 an hour, it is about a 5-6 hour job.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

It's a garage. Regardless of how long you think its going to take they will see $$$$ signs and tell you it'll be 2 days.

It happened to me and I ended up paying $1k for some suspension work.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:47 AM
casper
Legend

Thats crazy, if you get a quote they can't legally charge you more than the quote by 10% here in Connecticut, I don't know about any other state though. Should be able to do it yourself, but you can get hurt or end up with a car you have to now tow to a service station, if you don't know what your doin.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:53 AM
NeonDriver01
Rookie

Yea my older brother works at a garage and they charge 50 an hour just for labor...but on the plus side i get all my upgrades and stuff put on for free at home cause he can borrow engine pullers and all that good stuff...
On a different note i just bought new 16" wheels that i will be putting on in the spring and i just needed to know what i will need to get the speedometer accurate cause i know with larger tires the speedometer wont be accurate what would i need to buy or adjust??
thanks!

Old 11-22-2004, 01:01 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I put mine on myself with the help of my buddy. We did it in probably 5-6 hours in my friends garage. And my struts are not blown out yet...I've been lowered since may.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:17 AM
GroundControl
Veteran

i got coilovers for mine. they came off my friends srt4. i put them on in a few hours.
go rent the spring compressor for free at auto zone. (good deal) I think my left rear strut is blown. how can i tell? I forgot to put loads of greese in where the berrings go so i just ordered new berrings and top plate. Just warning you if u get coilovers to greese them. good luck

Quick Reply: Lowering a Neon