Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 01:04 AM
01NeonR/T
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why you should run platinum plugs in the neon!

Oh this is perfect. I was just about to go to the parts store to find some new plugs. I changed from the original owner's +4's to +2 from Bosch and since then the car has had some problems keeping a steady idle. Sometimes it jumps like the timing is off, other times it nearly dies, and still other times the needle stays steady but the motor feels really rough. Vibrates quite a bit. I looked under the hood and think I also need new motor mounts. I think I need to rebuild the motor. Eats a bit of oil. Once underway it's okay. Well I do drive the snot out of the car. It IS my daily driver after all. Since it still runs relatively well I'm surprised. Lasted lot longer than that old Integra I used to have :-P So what would you all suggest I should change to? BTW I found later that #3 cylinder plug had actually BACKED out a bit.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:55 AM
01NeonR/T
Rookie

I just changed over to NGK V"Power" Copper core plugs. $1.79 per plug. All I can say is.. WOW.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
casper
Legend

I just pulled the plugs in my car and the +4's look brand new, just for fun, I put some NKGs in and it runs worse, I have better response with the +4's.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:48 AM
ewetho
All Star

Consider thyself lucky as they mentioned before that even Bosch admits they are truly not compatable with DIS ignition. So best bet is either a Double Platinum plug (Developed because of DIS problems) or copper. Iridium should be just fine as well.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 AM
neonnot
Default RE: Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!

I've been having poor performance from a neon, so I started reading some of the info in the forum, and it matched the problems we were having on a 2000 model. So, we went back to the standard NGK plug and changed the wires since the car has 93k on it, and our problems went away.....the platinum plugs had 38k on them, gas milage was down to 20 mpg hi-way, and under hard accel. from a stop it was life threating to pull out into traffic. During the r&r of the plugs we referanced a Chiltons for various info and discovered that neons of different year models use different plugs......look on the sticker under the hood to be sure what your neon was using when it was built.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:20 AM
tonedef1

When i brought my neon 95 SOHC I wondered Why it was running like @@@@ it had a very poor idle and was rough(it also had no power). So I went through it and changed the wires and pulled the plugs they sere boch platinium plugs. It as a little hadr to tell they were even spark plugs since they were burned badly and had no electrode. I changed them and to denso and the car runs like a champ. I think the coil just doesnt like platinum plugs and they would work with an msd coil. i never liked platnium plugs anyway copper conducts better

Old 12-12-2005, 05:35 AM
joejunior253
Rookie

hey i have been wondering why my neon would sputter or hesitate at a red light and i noticed that in one of your web pages listed the guy had said it was his spark plugs. so i'll try some new ngks and see if they work. thanks for the info

Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 PM
DodgePerformance

I use the Bosch Platinums, no problems, but cars seems to high rev when its cold. Plus has this sound like a turbo, when its not. I don't know why it makes that sound, sounds crappy. When car warms up it goes away. Don't know if any others have this problem.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:28 AM
ewetho
All Star

Sounds bad well, then it is time to try proper selection of plugs. Go to either basic plugs, Champion or NGK. Then there are better plugs such as Double Platinum (RUN GREAT) or Iridium. See what happens. Make sure the gap is right!!!

Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 AM
Jporter2147

I just bought my neon about 4 months ago. (2005 SXT Auto Trans) I am new to this whole car thing and my brother in-law told me to come here with questions. (Brother in-law is a mercedes tech. He doesn't like dodge.) I was wondering about the whole Nology thing. Why are the not good? Oh and thanks for all the info so far. I have already learned alot of what to look for when buying parts. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!