Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:39 AM
philcgrow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!

, I wanted the ngk's but they were sold out on the ones people reccomend and I wasnt bout to pay 6 bucks for the other ones they had the ex ones or whatever they were. So I went with copper champs, I wanted the ngks tho and I will get them this comming fall or so

Old 02-11-2006, 12:56 PM
1994shadowman
Captain

I am using copper autolites right now. I dont really like them, because they just get carboned up too fast. Whenever i pull the plugs they are always half black.[:@] I bought some NGK V-Power plugs from Bumper-to-Bumper. I will replace them next time i change my oil. Hope they are better than the autolites.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:43 PM
1994shadowman
Captain

Just replaced the autolites today.(skipped until waiting until oil change) All I can say is wow. The car idles even better. Feels like it has more power and the plugs dont get so carboned up.( thats what the box says) I would recomend the NGK's to everyone i know, they are awesome!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:37 AM
95NeonJS
Professional

I just put in the NGK V-powers, which are plat. and they work awesome.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM
bill14224

My new '05 Neon has a tune-up interval of 100,000 miles according to Dodge so it must have platinum plugs, as the others all erode. I'll let you know in 7 years how they worked-out!

Arrive alive,

Bill

Old 03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Somethingdirty
Professional

I put NGK Iridiums in recently, and I love them!
Great idle, more responsive blah blah...
I highly reccomend them.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:33 PM
bill14224

A word on spark plugs. I've owned many different brands and types of cars over the years, (I'm not brand loyal because I'm not swayed by Madison Avenue advertising dorks) and I've learned that you can't go wrong using what your car maker recommends. I've found that NGK, Bosch, and Autolites are excellent plugs. I don't like Champions because I've encountered many that leak compression past the insulator. Where I work we make (among many other things) modified plugs to monitor cylinder pressure in experimental engines and we stopped using Champions because of too many "leakers". However, this is old information from the late 80's. Hopefully Champion got their act together since then.

A well made plug of the proper heat range for your engine will serve you well, and I reject the notion that what a plug's electrode is made of affects anything other than how long it lasts. From an engineering standpoint nothing else makes sense. When you read about crap like "this plug gives you 137% more spark power" that's just advertising. Plugs don't provide spark power, your coil does. There is no need to upgrade a properly working ignition system to a "high energy" ignition system unless you increased compression substantially, lift and duration, added turbo or a blower, or all three. Usually the stock ignition system will do the job quite nicely. If it ain't misfiring your ignition DOES NOT NEED UPGRADING and will not yield more HP or better mileage.

In today's ignition systems the spark is regulated to provide only as much energy to the plug as is needed, making even plain old stock plugs last 3 times longer than when my elbows were always scratched and dirty. (we used to have to change them every year) Also, a properly gapped plug of the correct heat range in good condition (and not leaking like those old Champions) will yield the SAME HP no matter who made it or what material the electrode is made of! Anyone who tells you anything different is either lying or repeating lies.

If you hot-rodded your engine A LOT you'll probably need to move to a cold plug (5). If they foul move to 6's. If you find you need 7's IT AIN'T A HOT ROD! There, that was easy! Also, if you pay $30 for 4 plugs thinking you'll go faster I have a bridge I'd like to sell you! If your recommended plugs in your stock engine keep fouling your engine is worn-out! Don't move to a hot plug to keep it running, rebuild your engine or junk it! Enough of this silly spark plug debate, use what the book tells you! THOUSANDS of hours of education, testing, and experience went into it. Unless you're an EXPERT (I'm not, I just play one at work!) DON'T SECOND GUESS THEM!

Arrive alive,

Bill

Old 03-18-2006, 01:26 AM
ewetho
All Star

I guess that would mean Champion CopperPlus as that is the original plug.

Anyhow for the most part any properly gapped plug with the proper geometry (Ie. Projection and heat range) should work just fine but they do make a difference and it is precisely that worn out effect you feel when the new plugs go in. Douple platinum and Iridium plugs actually lower arc over voltage requirements and Champions average about 8000 Ohms verses the 5-6000 Ohms for most others in their resistors. So It does change the ignition operating environment and spark output which can lead to better economy and HP as your O2 sensor will adjust for what you can burn.

But simply put maintained plugs are well and dandy and changing brands can improve IDLE Quality a bit (Change to new plugs from worn out Champs and see). So with the V-Power with the extra angle and Double Platinums with their little points and Iridium the same the work longer because they do not erode and the little fine points make a more possitive spark. This in turn means the run like new longer.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:16 PM
AirWolf

Ok as soon *** my 04 sxt reached 35 k I changed the plugs to champion plat. and started to have some problems so changed to bosch plat. and so far so good if I need to I will try the ngk v powers also have mopar performance wires.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:08 AM
ewetho
All Star

Why run Bosch Platinum if they even admit it is not designed to run in your DIS equipped car??? Have the NGK's standing by or any standard plug such as Champion CopperPlus, Bosch Super, Autolite Copper, AC Delco, what ever.... Or if you must run a "High Perfomance" plug then for long life choose a plug such as Auolite Double Platinum (Designed for DIS) or those special plugs all the way to Iridium. Either way simple moral is not to run single platinum plugs. They are known to be incompatible and even admittedly by the spark plug manufacturers. So quit fighting the obvious. Just choose the right type of plug for your car as this thread has so diligently pointed out and now worries.

Quick Reply: Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!