Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

1st Gen With SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:16 PM
King87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen With SRT-4

This is my first post and my first neon. i have done the minor mods but want to take it a step further. i want to swap with srt-4 motor and i wanna know other than just the engine what else would i need to do. what other modifications would need to be made and what other parts are needed.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Matt_92988
Default RE: 1st Gen With SRT-4

prolly a new transmission, you can get a complete engine swap on ebay for around 3,000 bux.

you'll need new motor mounts as well since its a 2.4 instead of a 2.0

Old 04-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

Unlike the 03-05 neons, if your running even an 02... its gonna definately take some modding to your engine bay to fit that SRT-4 2.4 Turbo engine.

Its gonna take more than most people would thinkt hey would need.

You would need to, for starters, pruchase the engine, tranny, PCM (which i dont think your older neon will be able to accept)...

even after that you have to custom fit the engine including the mounts, and you have to also make sure the engine doesnt fall out or go without the car (aka new mounts need to be exact and STRONG).

Lol, im Know im not being the vote of confidence here, but im stating it how, IMO, what you need to do.

You would also need to move your battery and a lot of the engine parts around to make it fit.

I really do hope you decide to go with it. It would be really nice, but LOTS OF MONEY AND TIME!![8D]

Old 04-23-2006, 03:31 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

From the wrecked SRT-4, you're going to need the entire engine, exhaust manifold/turbo (one piece), intake manifold and TB, instrument cluster, PCM, ignition key, ignition switch, intercooler and piping, engine wiring harness, all the other electrical wiring harnesses (yes, all of them), and probably a handful of other items I can't think of off the top of my head. While you're tearing the car apart, you might was well grab the seats and center console... From your car, you're going to need the clutch, tranny, and a big hammer to make room for the turbo at the firewall. You'll have to get a larger fuel pump, the motor mount adapter, and plenty of electrical supplies for cutting and splicing. You'll probably want to go ahead and spring for a service manual for your year Neon and the SRT-4 if for nothing other than the wiring diagrams. All said and done, expect to spend $5-7k easy on the swap and a couple of weeks to get it done.

You don't need the SRT-4 tranny. You don't need to "custom fit" the engine. You don't even need to relocate the battery. You're cheapest route is to find a junked SRT-4 that runs, take what you need, sell the rest.

djx2 on these boards is the first I've known of to do the swap, and there have been a couple since.

This thread has a more complete how-to, as well as a discussion on motor mounts (P.S. - the above posters are incorrect...).

Best of luck!

Old 04-24-2006, 12:09 AM
DaJokerx2

Yeah it takes time and costs a good amount. I would def suggest buying a running wrecked srt like radarlove said..I've seen them go for 4..5k..wish I did it that way lol..There is an outdated how to on this board somwhere that I sent over months ago ;I have since redone the interior wiring; I swapped in an srt rear wiring harness, an uncut dash harness and door harnesses(well..don't have the p-side and rears..need to pay for them first lol) All the rewiring made for a much cleaner swap and using the srt dash and door panels(NOT A DIRECT FIT) made it so I could use all srt switches.
Few pics

Later
Jake

Old 04-26-2006, 07:40 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Awesome work, Jake. Can't tell you how much I wish I was still living up there and could be a part of that install... So jealous...

Old 04-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Neon2.0T

Very nice Djx, awesome job!

Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 PM
DaJokerx2

Thanks for the compliments. Radarlove..come visit and take it for a drive :-)
I just put in new rear brake hard lines, fuel supply an vapor lines. Swapping in a non abs disc/disc booster and cylinder to get more room in the bay ..should be able to turn my filter under the cylinder.
Just put in the srt p/s lines and test fitted the pump today..also got a ton more coated parts..solid fmm & bracket..throttle linkage, p.s, ac bracket etcs..icemna tie down matched to vc
pic

Sorry for the jacking :/
Later
Jake

Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 AM
King87

wow you guy have been a really big help and i love the pic nice i hope my finished work looks like that. what does your it run in a 1/4 mile.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
boczo777

hello

i got lil bit off topic question, im looking for clutch for my 95 neon i use in solo

will srt4 clutch kit fit ??

thank you

Quick Reply: 1st Gen With SRT-4