Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:22 PM
TXOK01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Problems

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 Long Bed that I just bought used with 90K miles on it. I am having a horrible time towing with it. I had a 16 ft cattle trailer with two cows on it (maybe trailer and cows grossed 5500 - 6000lbs) that I was towing down an interstate just flat highway and the top speed I could reach was 62mph with the overdrive off and 64 mph with the overdrive on. Either way I had to have the pedal on the floor to reach either speed.What is the deal? I know it should be pulling way better and faster than that. The engine sounds just fine when running and without the trailer I can drive any speed pretty much. Any help would be appreciated. 5.9L Diesel.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Towing Problems

That doesnt sound right, That thing otta fly towing or empty. Is the air filter OK, or maybe the fuel filter. Do the easy checks first. Check to make sure the exhaust is not restricted. Good Luck. If not the easy stuff let us know, These guys can help with anything. It might just need a good cleaning with PSD.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:53 PM
TXOK01

The air filter is suspect looking. It is an after market filter and I am not really sure what it is. I will have to get some numbers off of it. But it is just a huge round filter pretty much sitting open in the engine. I figure it should have some kind of heat shield or something around it but it is just sitting there. Very large. I haven't had the fuel filter checked yet so I need to do that. The exhaust should be ok I think, it doesn't even have a muffler it is just a straight pipe from the engine back.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TXOK01

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 Long Bed that I just bought used with 90K miles on it. I am having a horrible time towing with it. I had a 16 ft cattle trailer with two cows on it (maybe trailer and cows grossed 5500 - 6000lbs) that I was towing down an interstate just flat highway and the top speed I could reach was 62mph with the overdrive off and 64 mph with the overdrive on. Either way I had to have the pedal on the floor to reach either speed.What is the deal? I know it should be pulling way better and faster than that. The engine sounds just fine when running and without the trailer I can drive any speed pretty much. Any help would be appreciated. 5.9L Diesel.
What rpms?
What axle gear?
Are you blowing black smoke?
If so air filter or turbo.
If you are not blowing black smoke change the fuel filter.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:12 AM
TXOK01

There is no black smoke or any smoke that I can tell. The rpms are normal I think around 2,400 to 2,500. I just got the truck and there really wasn't any books or information with it and I'm a complete novice. I looked on the door and under the hood for a sticker to tell me if has the 410 or the 355 rear end but couldn't locate anywhere that said. I can hear the turbo whistling when going down the road.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

There is no black smoke or any smoke that I can tell. The rpms are normal I think around 2,400 to 2,500. I just got the truck and there really wasn't any books or information with it and I'm a complete novice. I looked on the door and under the hood for a sticker to tell me if has the 410 or the 355 rear end but couldn't locate anywhere that said. I can hear the turbo whistling when going down the road.
The absence of black smoke says you have enough air for the amount of fuel you are feeding it.
Change the fuel filters and try it again.

Those rpms sound a little on the high side what trany do you have?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:27 AM
TXOK01

Sorry I was a little high on the rpms, I just went and took a look and it is more like 2,100 - 2,200 RPM. That may still be high though I guess. My brother has the same truck except it is the short wheel base without the 4 wheel drive and it runs more around 1,900 at 70mph and closer to 1500 at 60 mph with a trailer. I apologize for my ignorance I am not sure what size transmission I have.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

Sorry I was a little high on the rpms, I just went and took a look and it is more like 2,100 - 2,200 RPM. That may still be high though I guess. My brother has the same truck except it is the short wheel base without the 4 wheel drive and it runs more around 1,900 at 70mph and closer to 1500 at 60 mph with a trailer. I apologize for my ignorance I am not sure what size transmission I have.
auto or 6spd?
My rpms match your brothers.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:18 AM
Local Yokel
Professional

Trans slipping?

Old 03-31-2007, 02:21 AM
TXOK01

Auto. It seems to shift fine. I am not sure if I am not use to it or if it is a little off but occassionally it seems like it should be shifting a little sooner maybe. It doesn't shift hard or anything like that though.

Quick Reply: Towing Problems