Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 AM
sharx ram
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure gauge

For those of you that have installed fuel pressure gauges, how hard were they and what all is involved? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks [8D]

Old 04-08-2007, 06:18 PM
sharx ram
Champion
Default RE: Fuel pressure gauge

Now I know someone here is running one...

Old 04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it depends on what type you want. . .either electronic or the standard type that will bring fuel into the cab. the electronic is better for this purpose.

the ones I have seen go between the fuel filter and the CP3. this way you can see if your filter is getting clogged as well as watch the lift pump.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:13 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Hey thank Drew...that answers my next question as well. [8D]

Old 04-08-2007, 11:32 PM
cmnspwr
Veteran

I've got the standard type where fuel runs into the cab, into the gauge. I bought a Billet Fuel Filter cap from Geno's Garage, some nitrous hose, and a needle valve. I screwed in the needle valve onto the cap and connected the hose to the valve. I then ran the hose into the supplied hole in the lower section of the firewall and into the gauge. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow, if I remember. I have it disconnected now because the hose leaked, therefore the gauge was reading 0 psi constantly. It was real easy to do.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:44 AM
sharx ram
Champion

I dont know how crazy Iam about having the fuel run into the cab...I think I will go with the electric. Thanks for the the info.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
cmnspwr
Veteran

Well thats great, I cant find my camera. I'm not too worried about fuel running into the cab. With my setup, if I smell fuel in the cab, I will just pop the hood and close the needle valve.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:53 AM
jakebrake
Champion

usually they put an isolator in so fuel stops at the isolator valve in the engine compartment, then a coolant filled line runs from the isolator to the gauge.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:09 AM
sharx ram
Champion

ooops...Did I say something wrong? hehehe as bad as diesel fuel smells Id hate to get a leak or anything that could put that smell in my truck. I think Iam going to go with the electric one, my buddy has an 01 with the Edge in it and unlike mine, his monitor shows fuel pressure.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 AM
triton
Record Breaker

I have one Sharx. The hardest thing I found installing it was... getting all of the air out of the gauge side line. I used a isolator so, the fuel side was easy because the isolator has a bleed screw for it. The gauge side if you go with a analog you can fill with anti-freeze. It helps to get as much into the gauge as you can and make sure any air bubbles are gone from the line. I didn't want fuel inthe cab either so, anti-freeze was the way to go. I also used SS lines into the cab and in the engine compartment to avoid having any rubbing issues.

From what I've read it seem analogs are more accurate and electronic monitors will flucuate all over the place to where it's hard to see what your actual psi is.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure gauge