Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Steering Issues - I've Had IT!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issues - I've Had IT!!!!!

I just drove my 01 CTD back from Tunica, a 4 hour drive and my truck was all over the road. I don't think I made a straight line the whole trip. I had to stop about half way to give my arms a break. I am ready to get rid of this thing and buy a Freightliner FL60 with a Cummins ISB in it. Please help talk me out of this. I love this truck other than the constant sterring issues. When I crawl up under the truck and have my wife move the wheel back and forth, there does not seem to be any play in the trac bar. I suspect that the steering gear box has gone bad again because there doesn't seem to be any play beyond the box. Does anyone make a good gear box and stand behind it with a gaurantee? The $400 gear boxes are as much a piece of junk as the $180 you buy at Autozone. Here is what I have doen so far.

The truck turned 166k on the trip.

4 steering gear boxes, last one put at 148k miles ago. Also put on new pitman arm and Sterring Stabilizer with bearing from PSC motosports.

4 Firestone 10 ply tires put on at 162k along with a front end alignment.

Moog Trac Bar, put on at 43k replaced all front ball joints with Moog at same time.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steering Issues - I've Had IT!!!!!

AGR Performance. They make a Superbox for the Rams.

http://www.agrperformance.com/produc...&model=102

Good luck with your ride.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:04 PM
CamperAndy
Rookie

Sounds a bit like tire steer. Ask the tire place that put your tires on to un mount and remount the tires. You do not mention the tread pattern but it may have an adverse effect on the steering depending on the design, not all tires are great on the highway.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I drove my 1500 Ram in to work today. I'll check the tires when I get home and let you know. It is an allterrain tire, not highway tread. I have never used Firestone tires before, but my wife started working for them and gets one heck of a discount.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Drew
Professional

there is a bracket that is out there somewhere that attaches to the bottom of the gear box to remove also of this flex you are having. . .I'll see if I can dig it up.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've got one.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/produc...products_id=90

The truck doesn't wander like it did before the brace. The brace definiately solved the road wander. The problem isabout 4-6 inches ofslop in the wheel, and it won't correct itself at highway speeds. So you are constantly turning it one way or the other just to keep it inbetween the lines. Adding a 10k Lbs. trailer on theback just makes it worse. I was thinking that the trailer weight in the back relieved some of the pressure up front and that is why it is worse with a trailer.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
timesublime
Veteran

What tire pressure are you running? Too much pressure up front will cause a hell of a lot of "auto-swerve"

Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Any chance the steering components are worn, and you just haven't caught it yet? Maybe the drag link? Pitman arm is tight? I have that steering brace as well. I love it. It adds a lot of stability to the steering.

Any chance your track bar is bad? I know you said a new one was installed but I have had them go at 5000 miles. Mostly because of the way I drive. The same company that makes the steering stabilizer also makes an adapter bracket that allows the use of a third gen track bar on a second gen Ram. I also use that. The third gen track bars have no ball stud. Just two bushings, and two bolts.MAJOR difference in the front end.

Anyway, good luck with your ride.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:56 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Here is that site I was telling you about with the track bar conversion bracket. Same company that made your steering stabilizer.

http://www.solidsteel.ca/Products.htm

Good luck with your ride.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

I've got one.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/produc...products_id=90

The truck doesn't wander like it did before the brace. The brace definiately solved the road wander. The problem isabout 4-6 inches ofslop in the wheel, and it won't correct itself at highway speeds. So you are constantly turning it one way or the other just to keep it inbetween the lines. Adding a 10k Lbs. trailer on theback just makes it worse. I was thinking that the trailer weight in the back relieved some of the pressure up front and that is why it is worse with a trailer.
thanks for the extra large mug of shut the hell up he he he

Quick Reply: Steering Issues - I've Had IT!!!!!