Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First mod?

LOL .... I know how I am. I LOOOOOVE speed, and the LAST thing I need is a chipped Ram. Unfortunately, I just don't have that kind of self control.

LOOOONG story short. The ONLY reason I wound up with a truck in the first place was to slow my azz down. I was WAAAAY outta control with my 79 Trans Am. I sold that in order to keep my license and got myself a 4 banger 4-runner. THAT slowed me down. After I put 185K on that, I went to my 96 F-150. Yeah, it was an 8 cylinder, but I never got into it. From that I got my Ram. I KNOW me. The LAST thing I need is a chip ... trust me.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:28 AM
JotiGrains
Professional

Good call, I'm proud of you Mayfair, self control is hard.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
sharx ram
Champion

Thats self control I never had, good job...I lost my lisence at 18 and did not see it again until I was 32. Ive always had muscle cars and "no self control"...and never had an accident either, thank Gawd. [8D]

Old 04-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: JotiGrains

Good call, I'm proud of you Mayfair, self control is hard.
Thanks man, and yeah your right, self control IS hard.

Here's a recent story in the life of "Mayfair" that you might enjoy ....

About 4 months ago a friend of mine came pulling up with a new I think it was a Saleen Mustang. Beautiful car !! He took me for a ride and it's a really nice car. Then he say's to me " You wanna drive it?" I said " No, that's nota hot idea, but thanks anyway". Wego back and forthand he's being pretty insistent. I flat out TELL him that I won't be able to control myself and that it is NOT a good idea. ( He'swasn't around with me back in the day ). He laughs it off and insists.

OK ...

I get in the drivers seat, and he see's me buckle up. He laughs because I never usually wear one. I tell him that he might as well want to buckle up as well. He gives me the "naah", but thenyou could see in his face that he KNEW that he'd made a serious mistake.

He did ...

I effing NAILEDthat car !!! We were all over the place and I would NOT let up RIPPING throught the gears!! I have no clue whatour final speed was, butthewhite stripes in the street turned into a blurr.

When I finally pulled over, my friend was FREAKING out !! The car had a little over 100 miles on it before I drove it. He started tearing into me about me and why and blah blah blah. I flat out told him " Look, I told you what was going to happen before it happened and you didn't believe me. When a gift horse comes along, I don't waste time looking it in the mouth. I get on it, and hang the eff on. These opportunities don't come along often, so you've gotta jump on them when they come along.".

When my other friends found out about it they laughed.

I still don't think he found the humor ...

Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 AM
JotiGrains
Professional

Wow, so now I know the story behind you getting a truck. What's the story on your name? Is their one?
Serious question... Brace yourselves.
I'm doing alot of towing... Obviously, I drive a dually. Will removing the stock muffler & cat, and replacing them with an aero 4040.... do what? What will that do if I put the aero in?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:21 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Your down in seattle right, I'm only a pissing distance north, infact I'm headed your way this weekend. My dually is a 4" straight pipe with a 5" tip, It is loud especially towing, but it lowered my egts. I lost a little low end torque but gained at peak torque. The aero should work out to keep some of the noise down but if you tow a lot, you may want to add another muffler like steve-o did.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:52 AM
JotiGrains
Professional

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

Your down in seattle right, I'm only a pissing distance north, infact I'm headed your way this weekend. My dually is a 4" straight pipe with a 5" tip, It is loud especially towing, but it lowered my egts. I lost a little low end torque but gained at peak torque. The aero should work out to keep some of the noise down but if you tow a lot, you may want to add another muffler like steve-o did.
What city do you live in? I live a little less than 20 miles west of Seattle, in Sammamish/Issaquah/Redmond area.

P.S. Can the Aero 4040 just go in the same place as the cat? So if I get a cat back exhaust system, I can just put the aero in and don't worry about custom fitting?
P.P.S. For the 4 gauges I'm getting: pounds of boost, EGT, fuel pressure, and tranny temp. Which ones are neccessary? I know I want boost and tranny temp, and I'm pretty sure I want EGT, because you guys are saying that like every other word on this forum.
Also, I know I need 0-60 pound boost, but what temps should the tranny temp go up to, and the EGT go up to?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: JotiGrains
What's the story on your name? Is their one?
Pretty short story ...

I live in Philly, in a section called "Mayfair"

Old 04-26-2007, 07:09 PM
JotiGrains
Professional

That's a boring story, you've got to come up with something like... "I was in a North Korean medical facility... My left ear was blown off and some guy highly doced up on morphine called me Mayfair." It's a start.. Fill in the blanks where you see fit.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:15 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

Thats self control I never had, good job...I lost my lisence at 18 and did not see it again until I was 32. Ive always had muscle cars and "no self control"...and never had an accident either, thank Gawd. [8D]
Ok, 14 years without a license? You've got to share with us.