Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First mod?

ORIGINAL: JotiGrains

That's a boring story, you've got to come up with something like... "I was in a North Korean medical facility... My left ear was blown off and some guy highly doced up on morphine called me Mayfair." It's a start.. Fill in the blanks where you see fit.
Oh ... OK .... gotcha ...

Ok, so I got the name like this. I had my ladyfriend MAY up on the ole "workbench" and said "hey, it's not FAIR to leave you fine azz sister outta the loop, whadda ya say ??"

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/46EACEC2C540445881A96026315E052F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2007, 11:08 PM
jakebrake
Champion

I'm up in everett, trans temp should be around 100-260 temp range, egt should be about 300-1800 range. I would say that out of all the gauges you listed, fuel pressure is probably the one needed the least.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:04 AM
JotiGrains
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: JotiGrains

That's a boring story, you've got to come up with something like... "I was in a North Korean medical facility... My left ear was blown off and some guy highly doced up on morphine called me Mayfair." It's a start.. Fill in the blanks where you see fit.
Oh ... OK .... gotcha ...

Ok, so I got the name like this. I had my ladyfriend MAY up on the ole "workbench" and said "hey, it's not FAIR to leave you fine azz sister outta the loop, whadda ya say ??"

Hahahaha, that works aswell. Though I must say, yours is probally the better of the two.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:06 AM
JotiGrains
Professional

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

I'm up in everett, trans temp should be around 100-260 temp range, egt should be about 300-1800 range. I would say that out of all the gauges you listed, fuel pressure is probably the one needed the least.
I've been looking at gauges and I don't see one called EGT, all the ones I see are something called pyrometer, is that the same thing? Because the pyrometer gauges go to the same temperatures that you said.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 AM
CutterW
Captain

I believe Pyrometer is EGT. My ? which is prob stupid, do most gauges you see that cost $80 come with everything you need or buy all that to?

Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 AM
JotiGrains
Professional

Yeah that's a good question.
When you buy the gauges, for the 60 or 80 bucks, do they come with the wires needed to actually read the temps or whatever.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

I would say that out of all the gauges you listed, fuel pressure is probably the one needed the least.
Maybe for the 3rd gens with the tolerant CP-3, but I don't know if I agree if you have the VP-44. I would think the fuel pressure gauge would be the most important of all at that point.

Of all the gauges that I hear talked about, BOOST would be the one that I don't understand the most. Fuel pressure ... got it. Temp gauges ( oil, diff, trans, ect )... got it. But BOOST? Why is it so "important" to monitor your boost?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 PM
JotiGrains
Professional

Because it's sweet too see how much you're pushing? Plus, if you have the pre-turbo EGT sensor, it's a rule of thumb to multiply the ammount of boost by 10 and then add that to the EGT. So if you're running 40 pounds of boost, and your EGT (pre-turbo) is reading 1000, then your temp should be 1400. Or was it the other way around...? I don't know, either pre or post-turbo sensor you have to the the turbo off to get the sensor in, which ever you DON'T have to, then that is what you add the turbo boost too.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Mayfair, I say fuel pressure because you can get a small light insted of a gauge for half the cost. You don't need to know exactly what your fuel pressure is, just if it falls below a certain point. Boost pressure tells you if your getting good fuel into the cylinders and if you got intake leaks, engine load, ect.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 PM
JotiGrains
Professional

I don't know why but I remember a friend saying that fuel pressure is really important for my year truck, maybe because I have an automatic?