Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

my trucks new butt cover ;-) >>

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my trucks new butt cover ;-) >>

Well, my wife got a look at it in the day light and says it's good. Many of you may know " wife terminology " and that really means... well, it's ok but not great. Pfft! I like it myself. It does change the look of the truck a bit from blingy to a little more rugged.

Please tell me you honest opinions and/or ideas. One thought I have is to leave the top of the bumper black and paint the rest the same color as the truck.... or, leave the top black and have the rest chromed ?? Or... leave it as is. I vote for as is ;-)

and one more of the intercooler. After a test driver today I found.... my EGT's climb a little slower, I have a ton of low end power and the turbo doesn't go over 38 psi anymore. I was seeing 42 max boost at WOT. I guess the extra volume in the intercooler is keeping the pressure down a little. That's ok for now on my stock turbo. I think the stock turbo and intercooler are a good match for the amount of air being moved. I'm sure when I install my bigger turbo I'll be back to a good match of components. Don't get me wrong... there's no performance decrease after the install. If anything, it's a nice increase of stable boost and power.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:11 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts
Default RE: my trucks new butt cover ;-) >>

that is a massive cooler, what did it run you? The bumper looks great in my opinion... phft to the wiffy lol. one question though on the cooler... when you say "a ton of low end power" why do you think that is? slower intake air velocity?

Old 05-05-2007, 12:21 AM
triton
Record Breaker

I picked it up for $1200. to my door from one of the forum sponsers at the Garage. Anywhere you go it's $1400 and up. A couple places sell it for less but, none at the price i paid. You siad it, it's massive.

I'm not sure about the low end power. Possibly cooler, less restrictive air flow? I'm sure that's what's helping the EGT's. I'm running Smarty on moderate #7 which definitely contributes to the low end power.... it just seemed to have a nicer/quicker throttle response after the install. I didn't drive it long but, it almost seemed as though the CAI was a little quiter too.... could be my imagination ????

Old 05-05-2007, 12:28 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts

which cooler is it?(who made it) I'd think the air intake sound would drop if the turbo isnt pulling as much when compaired to the stock cooler... it would be nice to monitor before & after IAT's & intake air velocity... that would help to see what is happening I think.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:28 AM
sharx ram
Champion

I feel bad for anyone who should ever rear end you. Are you going to paint it to match the trauck or leave it black? It's a sweet bumper but I think Id like it better the color of the truck. But what do I know hehehe

Old 05-05-2007, 12:40 AM
aka_chewy
All Star

I agree with Sharx. I think the bumper is awsome, but black doesn't fit the truck; the color is kind of out of place. My opinion is chrome the top and color match the rest. I took the liberty of throwing together the general idea in photoshop. Forgive the lack of detail and exact color match, I did it fairly quickly.however, I think you get the general idea. Again, this is just my opinion.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 AM
triton
Record Breaker

Thanks Chewy. I was hoping you might do that. I'll have to study that pic for a while. I do like the red but, I don't know about chroming the top. I'm thinking that should stay powder coated black since it will hold but better. I do like that red though :-)

Steve .... it's a Spearco intercooler made by Turbonetics http://www.turboneticsinc.com/ It's supposibily the best cooler on the market. A lot of people know of the BD cooler but to me, BD is like Banks. A product I don't care for. I'd say it's a full inch thicker than the stock and from what I've read it's bigger than the BD too.

The turbo probably is pulling as much as it always has, the air is just not as restricted anymore. There not as much turbulance from the air fighting it's way through a smaller orifices. You're right though.... a offical test would be the best way to figure it out.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:00 AM
triton
Record Breaker

I got a BIG no way from the boss on the red bumper. Hmmmmm ???

Old 05-05-2007, 01:12 AM
cr80renob
Captain

That bumper is BEEFY!!! I like it!

As stated above.....I feel bad for anyone who might rear-end you!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:17 AM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cr80renob

That bumper is BEEFY!!! I like it!

As stated above.....I feel bad for anyone who might rear-end you!!!
Yeah... you guys are right, it's a thick heavy hunk of metal. It was probably twice or three times the weight of the stock bumper. One thing nice about it being black is it doesn't get covered with soot like the chrome.

Quick Reply: my trucks new butt cover ;-) >>