Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesel Death Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Otis30
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Death Illegal?

So the other day I pull up behind this 04 CTD. It was all worked... his license plateread "Torqued", lots of performance stickers, obvious exhaust, and who knows what else was done. He sees me pull up behind him in my stock 06 and he decides he's gonna get me. Well, his diesel death didn't just get me. It coverred the entire 5 lane highway! Coming the other way at just that time was this poor motorcycle guy who got swamped. It was so bad, you could hardly see the car in front of you. Needless to say, I thought it was great! But then I got to wonderring... if a cop saw that, could he get a ticket? Is that illegal? After the warranty expires, I could see myselfmodding up and would like to know if I have to be careful about where/when I let it fly.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Diesel Death Illegal?

Its not illegal yet, But from the chatter here in SC it wont be long. The EPA and the huggers are workin pretty hard to get the smokers off the road. [:@]You can count on it in the next year or two. The big rigs are already gettin it!!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Otis30

So the other day I pull up behind this 04 CTD. It was all worked... his license plateread "Torqued", lots of performance stickers, obvious exhaust, and who knows what else was done. He sees me pull up behind him in my stock 06 and he decides he's gonna get me. Well, his diesel death didn't just get me. It coverred the entire 5 lane highway! Coming the other way at just that time was this poor motorcycle guy who got swamped. It was so bad, you could hardly see the car in front of you. Needless to say, I thought it was great! But then I got to wonderring... if a cop saw that, could he get a ticket? Is that illegal? After the warranty expires, I could see myselfmodding up and would like to know if I have to be careful about where/when I let it fly.
Creating a traffic hazzard.
Obstruction of traffic.
Dispersion of a toxic substance.
Having a smoke screen device.

There are so many laws on the books you cannot get in your vehical and start it without violating something.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:37 PM
JotiGrains
Professional

That's a good question, I do that sometimes, but my dually is stock, for now, and I romp on it sometimes, but my smoke isn't nearly as deadly as that guy, I havn't been pulled over yet. Has anyone been pulled over and the cop actually cited you for something?

Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Watermelon
The big rigs are already gettin it!!
What's happening with the big rigs??

Old 05-07-2007, 05:03 AM
JotiGrains
Professional

I heard the sole reason that Dodge came out with the new 6.7L is because of the new laws that are going to be passed against diesels, and that it'll be a few years, then diesels will be REAAAAAALLY hard to get past emmisions.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Wish4vip

That's what I heard too. That's why I encouraged my old man to pick up the 5.9 while they still had them. Might as well go with something that is proven to be great than take some chances with the 6.7. I'm sure it's a great motor...but the 5.9 is solid.

He's had it for 2 weeks now and loves it! Has about 800 miles on it so far. I'll try to get some pics up of it soon. My damn brother has the camera.....[:@]

Old 05-07-2007, 05:45 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

All this emissions regulations nonsense. I've seen New Jersey DOT on the side of a state highway pulling all the 18's over and placing a hose over the top of the exhaust to do an emissions test. If your truck pollutes too much, and it doesn;t have to be blowing out billowing clouds of smoke either, they can force you to have the engine rebuilt. You can either spend many several thousands of dolalrs to have it done or not ever go back to NJ again. Me personally I wouldn't ever go back but I know a guy that had this very thing happen to him and he runs through there all the time, had to rebuild it.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Mayfair
Legend

pfft .... when the whole USA comes to a screeching halt because these poor truckers can't drive and therefore goods aren't getting anywhere THEN they'll learn !!

That would be AWESOME if ALL truckers just went on strike for a week and stopped driving !!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:54 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

they are making the clickady clack rain caps illegal

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Quick Reply: Diesel Death Illegal?