Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What did your tax return buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
minex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What did your tax return buy?

Meh, don't get me started on taxes. I ended up owing $5,000. I had a feeling this would happen, so I had my employer take out more than normal from my paycheck. I guess that still wasn't enough. Does anyone know the average percentage of your income that actually goes to the government? I read somewhere (nothing official though) that 60% of your income goes to the government after you figure in state, local, federal, and various other taxes and fees.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: minex
I read somewhere (nothing official though) that 60% of your income goes to the government after you figure in state, local, federal, and various other taxes and fees.
Even though it FEELS like it's that high, I don't think it is. I think it's more like around 35%

Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

the avaerage is 35% +/ - depending on if your very wealthy or very poor.

after you hit 60g's or so a yr, you enter the next tax bracket.

I eneded up payin bills, buyin new tail light assemblies for my ctd..well, ok the truck anyway

it bought a new set of shiny treads for the wifes 1 ton 15 passenger van!
the grip of new tires on the mountain climbs has never sounded so good!!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
cumminalong

Fenced just under an acre of the backyard, re-tiled the bathroom, and had enough left over to put new shoes on my Focus. It needed tires anyways.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM
ga_noplugs

Lets see

2 Dannin guages (EGT and Trans temp)
A pillar guage mount
2 Yaesu amateur radios and antennas.

My total taxes end up being about 25% of my salary.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
minex
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Even though it FEELS like it's that high, I don't think it is. I think it's more like around 35%
It has to be higher. Don't forget that income tax is only one form of tax. There's tax on fuel, property tax, sales tax, AMT, etc. You also have to register your vehicle every year. Basically, if money moves, a portion is taken away. I'm in the 33% tax bracket, plus the 4.63% from state, then the 8% sales tax whenever I purchase something at the store. Correct me if I'm wrong, but fuel in Colorado is taxed at a rate of 20%. I just bought my brand new 2007 Dodge Ram 2500. How much of that went to taxes? The interest rate in my bank was taxed. The gain I got on my stocks were taxed too (AMT). Property taxes in my area is about $1.9774 per $100 of assessed value. Adding up all of these values comes up to about 60%, but obviously, each person will vary depending on how much they make, what they buy, where they live, etc.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: minex

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

It has to be higher. Don't forget that income tax is only one form of tax. There's tax on fuel, property tax, sales tax, AMT, etc. You also have to register your vehicle every year. Basically, if money moves, a portion is taken away. I'm in the 33% tax bracket, plus the 4.63% from state, then the 8% sales tax whenever I purchase something at the store. Correct me if I'm wrong, but fuel in Colorado is taxed at a rate of 20%. I just bought my brand new 2007 Dodge Ram 2500. How much of that went to taxes? The interest rate in my bank was taxed. The gain I got on my stocks were taxed too (AMT). Property taxes in my area is about $1.9774 per $100 of assessed value. Adding up all of these values comes up to about 60%, but obviously, each person will vary depending on how much they make, what they buy, where they live, etc.
I think Minex is correct. Here in the Peoples' Republic of Maryland we get hit with a big state income tax, higher than average fuel taxes, a 5% sales tax, hefty property taxes, etc.

Fortunately I spent half of last year in a combat zone after getting called to active duty by Uncle Sam, otherwise my tax bill would have been considerably higher. In 2005 I did a rough estimate of my total tax hit, trying to include everything such as vehicle licensing. For my wife and I together it was over $80,000! I've had it up to here with the tax-and-spend politicians in both parties!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

money towards my waverunner!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Oooooooh, NOW I understand what you are talking about Minex !! I thought you were only asking about what comes out of your paycheck each week.

You're talking about ALL taxes !! Someone just sent me a couple of weeks ago all of the new taxes that have come out in the last 60 years or so. I was blown away. Phone taxes, utility taxes, inheritance tax, ect ect ect ... ALL new within the last 60 or so years.

Sucks ...

Old 05-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats funny is you get taxed for dieing[&:]

how screwed up is that. . .you better not die. . .the gov't will tax you[:@]

Quick Reply: What did your tax return buy?