Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AC problems .... anybody know what this is ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AC problems .... anybody know what this is ??

ORIGINAL: Drew

I cannot see any of the pictures at work since they are comeing from photo bucket (dang websence[:@])
I switched over to loading the pics into photobucket only because I thought it was easier than resizing them, and I thought it was better to see the full sized pic when it's posted rather than to hafta click on an image to pull it up. Doyou think more people are having the same problem as you? Should I go back to re-sizing the pics?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that might jossle something loose in Demons head hopefully.
Where's the love?.lol.

1. Ok Mayfair, that can will only hook to the low pressure line. If the can hooked on and stayed on, you're on the right valve.

2. I would MOST DEF get a replacement cap. Autozone sells them. The cap should have inner threads and an oring at the top. If you are ambitious, coat the oring with motor oil. It won't mix with the refrig oil. You are just keeping the oring wet for the summer months. So ya, I would get a new cap. I may have one . There is a stem valve in there like a car tire. Can it be leaking? Absolutely. Probably not. If the leak was there, you would have no freon. You have an ice build up so freon is present. That's good. Means there shouldn't be air in the line and a charge is all you need.

Let me stray for a moment and give another opinion. Four years ago, I gutted my entire A/C system. The evaporator had a leak. As did MANY Rams from my years. Anyway, I replace everything. comp, evap, cond, acc/dryer, lines, orifice. Soaked all the oring in refrig oil for 3 days...lol. I put this system together like I was building a ship in the bottle...lol. My point is, it took 4 years for me to loose a little freon. I am adding some to my Ram as soon as I get done with you. Maybe I'll take a pic. You know I hate to dirty my electronics....lol. Losinf freon is completely normal. You only need the winter temps to drop down to about 10 dgrees and those orings shrink right up. That's when freon will get by. Nothing you can do. It's physics.....

Don't panic with the A/C. A simple charge may be all you need. If it needs new orings, that easy too. Drive to NY, with beer, and I have a vacuum pump....lol. You may need an oring. I don't use that stop leak crap. Just freon with oring conditioner, or I slap a quick once of pag oil in there. I have gauges tho. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.....lol. j/k/

3. As far as that gauge, stick it your ear because that's what it's wirth..lol. It won't be near accurate. That's why I'd rather see you on the hide side of that blue zone. If blue is what the directions say.

According to the manual, your low side (suction side where you are hooking up the fix-a-flat can) should be between 32 - 40 psi.

Your high side (discharge) pressure should be between 190 and 220. After 220, the head pressure gets too high and too hot. Usually a sign that you are compressing large amounts of air mixed in with the freon.

If that gauge is numbered, WITH THE A/C RUNNING, see if you can get that gauge up to 35, closer to 40. And did I read that you are on your second can of freon? Did the first one bleed into the air?

You shouldn't need that much if you are replacing what you may have lost over winter.

What's the amount of freon in the can? Do the 98 still have orifice tubes? That may be clogged with stop leak now.lol.

Yes Dono...the rag goes around the fitting so you don't get sprayed with stop leak.....lol.

The hot water makes the freon enter the truck quicker. Stops the can from frosting up. Boils the freon. Stop asking questions.lol..j/k.

Add another can and see if that gauge comes up. If it does, your on the right track. Keep me posted.....I am running outside for a bit. We have a tornado warning about 7 miles from my house into PA> ADIOS!!!!

If you have a more serious problem than low freon, doing what you are doing now won't hurt. Just money spent for diagnosis....

Old 05-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: Drew

I cannot see any of the pictures at work since they are comeing from photo bucket (dang websence[:@])
I switched over to loading the pics into photobucket only because I thought it was easier than resizing them, and I thought it was better to see the full sized pic when it's posted rather than to hafta click on an image to pull it up. Doyou think more people are having the same problem as you? Should I go back to re-sizing the pics?
dont worry about it bro. . .when I get home I'll be able to see the pics
this is just a work thing since they are getting all a|\|@l about where we can go on the net. heck, I can go to moveon.org, but not AP news[&:](like I would go to either in the first place) youtube and google videos are also blocked

Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

1. Ok Mayfair, that can will only hook to the low pressure line. If the can hooked on and stayed on, you're on the right valve.

OK - good. I figured so, I just wanted to make sure

2. I would MOST DEF get a replacement cap. Autozone sells them.

Ok, I'll get one ASAP

Don't panic with the A/C. A simple charge may be all you need. If it needs new orings, that easy too. Drive to NY, with beer, and I have a vacuum pump....lol.

Don't put it past me !!!

3. As far as that gauge, stick it your ear because that's what it's wirth..lol. It won't be near accurate. That's why I'd rather see you on the hide side of that blue zone. If blue is what the directions say.

LOL ... I actually though of you as I was buying the can. I was thinking " if Demon saw this POS, he'd FREAK !!"

According to the manual, your low side (suction side where you are hooking up the fix-a-flat can) should be between 32 - 40 psi.

The can actually has numbers on it. The "blue area" where they want me to be, is between 25 - 45, so if I can get it into the blue area I should be fine.

If that gauge is numbered, WITH THE A/C RUNNING, see if you can get that gauge up to 35, closer to 40.

AC running on WHAT ? Max AC with the fan all the way up? Vents? Why is all of this so important?

And did I read that you are on your second can of freon? Did the first one bleed into the air?

Yes, I started my second can. Since the gauge didn't really move at all, I figured I'd try the second can. When I unscrewed the first can, some green stuff shot out so I'm assuming that I didn't run it all the way out. That green stuff is COOL !!! They gave me a little pen that shines purple to help find a leak if nessassary. When I shined the light onto my hands after unscrewing the first can, they glowed GREEN like alien hands !!

You shouldn't need that much if you are replacing what you may have lost over winter.

Why doesn't the gauge seem to mave after putting almost 2 cans in ??

What's the amount of freon in the can?

The cans say they have -
11.5 ozs of R-134A
2.5ozs Lubricant, QuickBoost, AC Performance booster, System safe leak sealer, and O-ring conditoiner ( what is that ... .5 ozs of each ?? LOL !! )

Do the 98 still have orifice tubes?

How the eff should I know ?? All's I know is that I'd better not find any "orifice tubes" heading towards my back pocket area !!!

That may be clogged with stop leak now.lol.

You're kidding right ??

Yes Dono...the rag goes around the fitting so you don't get sprayed with stop leak.....lol.

Oops ... I'll remember that next time. See comment about Green Alien Hands above ...

The hot water makes the freon enter the truck quicker. Stops the can from frosting up. Boils the freon. Stop asking questions.lol..j/k.

NEVER !!!!!!

Add another can and see if that gauge comes up.

As log as it doesn't make my "orifice tube" come up !! LOL !!

If it does, your on the right track. Keep me posted.....I am running outside for a bit. We have a tornado warning about 7 miles from my house into PA> ADIOS!!!!

ummmm .... shouldn't you be EVACUATING !!!!

If you have a more serious problem than low freon, doing what you are doing now won't hurt. Just money spent for diagnosis....

Should I go out and get some sort of cool looking gauges that I won't have any CLUE how to read ??

Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Drew
Professional

you need to have the compressor running when you are filling the system or you'll just pressurize the low side not the entire system. with the system running (fan on high, compressor on) this will circulate the freon and charge the entire system.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I kind figured that, but Demon says to set it on VENTS, whereas the can says to set it to MAX - AC.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I kind figured that, but Demon says to set it on VENTS, whereas the can says to set it to MAX - AC.
Set it on whatever you want. Use max if you want to. I use the regular setting and check the temp that way. Then when I switch to MAX I know I will get even colder air. You can use the setting. I'd keep the doors and windows shut. MAX A/C does get any colder unless it can recirculate the cabin air.

BBL.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Ok, I'll try it again tonight. Any idea why the gauge didin't seem to move after almost 2 cans?

I DID have the doors open last night whenI was filling it up. Could that be why?

I'll pick up another can since I'm now out of it and try it again tonight. AC set to vents, fan on full blast, doors and windows shut, temp set to the coolest setting.

Wish me luck !!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:41 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

I wouldn't keep adding oil and stop leak. I would just use a standard can of freon.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Mayfair, do me a favor. With the engine running, turn the a/c on. Blower max and on vents. See how often the compressor is cycling. How long does it stay on and how long does it stay off.

Quick Reply: AC problems .... anybody know what this is ??