Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AC problems .... anybody know what this is ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007 | 05:22 AM
Mayfair
|
Legend
Default RE: AC problems .... anybody know what this is ??

Jake,I don't "notice" the compressor comming on and off at all. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I dunno.

I'll check it tomorrow from outside of the truck and see whatI can see / hear.

Old 05-11-2007 | 06:49 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

I picked up 2 more cans of R134a last night, and I also found the caps. They comewith a repair kit and they included these little vlaves with them. The instructions say that sometimes they leak. Should I replace my low pressure valve with this one, or am I just asking for trouble? If so, what AM I in store for?

Here they are ...

Old 05-11-2007 | 07:11 PM
Drew
Professional

if the system is pressureized your asking for trouble. that little core will end up going through the back of your hand if you dont evacuate the system.

have you by chance checked for a blown fuze???

Old 05-11-2007 | 07:16 PM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I picked up 2 more cans of R134a last night, and I also found the caps. They comewith a repair kit and they included these little vlaves with them. The instructions say that sometimes they leak. Should I replace my low pressure valve with this one, or am I just asking for trouble? If so, what AM I in store for?
DON'T KEEP ADDING R134a. I looks to me as though your guage is bad, or if it is OK, then your loosing the R134a as soon as it goes in. If that were the case, the AC compressor would be clutching in and out all the time on very short intervals. I'm no expert on AC, but being the cheap b****** that I am, I usually do my own work on my Co. and Personal vehicles.

If you have 2 cans of R134a in and it is not blowing cold with the airconditioning on and the vehicle moving, then you have another problem.

The original post on this thread sounded like a bad valve on the drier, (a screw in fitting with a wire attached to it). It may be called an expansion valve, I don't remember. I know if the valve does not cycle off and on, the system gets so cold it freezes the system up, and you have to turn off the AC for a few min. to melt the ice. More of a problem with high humiditty.

Ralph

Old 05-11-2007 | 07:30 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

ORIGINAL: Ralph78

If you have 2 cans of R134a in and it is not blowing cold with the airconditioning on and the vehicle moving, then you have another problem.

The original post on this thread sounded like a bad valve on the drier, (a screw in fitting with a wire attached to it). It may be called an expansion valve, I don't remember. I know if the valve does not cycle off and on, the system gets so cold it freezes the system up, and you have to turn off the AC for a few min. to melt the ice. More of a problem with high humiditty.
That's just it, it DOES blow cold for a while, but after a while, THIS happens ....

I've got almost 2 cans ( 11ozs each ) stuffed in there with not much of a change to either the gauge or the problem. I DO now hear a hissing noise when I get out of my truck, but may have always been there and now my "bat ears" are tuned in for it. I dunno ...

Old 05-11-2007 | 07:33 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

have you by chance checked for a blown fuze???
No, I haven't. I figured if it was working, fuses were fine. Am I missing something?

Old 05-11-2007 | 08:27 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

I have used photobucket for a while with no probs.

its the way your linkin the pics.....

otherwise, i just upload em from my pc to this forum...unless they are too big

Old 05-11-2007 | 09:01 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Can't you see the pics ??

Old 05-12-2007 | 12:59 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Mayfair, look and see if the a'c clutch is kicking in and out. If it stays engaged all the time, then that switch on top of your accumulator is bad causing the clutch to stay on all the time. When the clutch is engaged all the time, the compressor will pull the lowside way down causing everything to freeze. This switch is supposed to cut out the compressor everytime pressure in the lowside drops below a certain point.

Old 05-12-2007 | 04:06 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Mayfair, are you timing the A/C compressor clutch cycle at all?

I'd hate to think that the clutch engagement IS continuous. That would explain your icing up.

Stick your tongue on the accumulator, and then inform us of your findings.

OVER.

Quick Reply: AC problems .... anybody know what this is ??