Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hey EXPERTS . . . . over here!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007 | 03:55 AM
Ramman18
|
Champion
Default Hey EXPERTS . . . . over here!!

Found a local truck so let me know if it's worth getting =

-2002 2500 QC 4x4 Long box
-6spd HO CTD
-55 block casting
-Black fender flares and running boards
-rear sliding window
-PW/PL
-CD
-Cruise
-cloth interior
-huge 5" exhaust
-Edge Juice
-Pyrometer in cab (EGT, right?)
-After market lift pump on the frame, brand: "Diesel Performance Products"
-Jake brake (very cool)
-5th wheel hitch
-5th wheel style vented tailgate (original MIA)
-claimed 400hp/600+ lb-ft
-made in Mexico
-60 day/ 3000 mile warranty
-92,XXX miles
-$21,995

This truck is a local one (seen it driving around) and owner traded for a new dually 6.7. It was used primarily to tow a camper. Front end looks good, little play in steering box but none in the track bar or anything else. Driver side engine mount broken (they will fix), one blinker and one taillight broken (will fix) and some wear and tear but overall pretty clean. It drove AWESOME!!! GOBS of power and black smoke! It was so fun to switch on the jake and slow down from 70 using no brakes There was a little oil seeping between engine and tranny. Any thoughts?? Also, all the performance upgrades were done at a local diesel performance shop (I've called them, but haven't heard back yet.) I tried to get them to reduce the price by removing the 5th wheel but they don't want it lying around. Aren't those hitches some money? Driveline and ujoints looked good and no rust anywhere. Should I still test the fuel pressure or is that new lift pump good? There's a dark gray filter on the passanger side, is that the fuel? What brand is that color? I even got the salesman to crawl under the truck with me (ruined his suit ) and then I walked. . . . . boy were they pissed!! I couldn't buy it without getting y'all's advice now could I? With my gasser trade-in, I'm looking at $16,500 difference including T/L. My only issue is I don't like W H I T E !! Should I get past that? Is there anything else I should know or look for?

Sorry for the long post, but this is a huge deal to me.

Old 06-01-2007 | 04:01 AM
02cummins
Captain
Default RE: Hey EXPERTS . . . . over here!!

sounds great to me, i just payed 23k for a 2002 short box qc 4x4 2500 with 51k miles on it with nothing special in the interior. all stock...only thing u gotta watch ius someone was playin with ur truck...all those mods arent for looks haha. either way if it drives good get that ****

Old 06-01-2007 | 04:03 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yeah I think you should get past the white color problem mud shows really well on a white truck! lol

the truck sounds like a good deal, the right block, go-fast goodies and nicely equiped... the price to me seems kinda high... I've seen the 3rd gen trucks approaching the low to mid 20's with slightly less mileage (preferred truck IMO), less tracbar issues with the updated design and better injection pump from what I can tell. wait a day and see what the experts have to say

Old 06-01-2007 | 11:20 AM
Drew
Professional

DPP lift pump. . .thats good to have away from the stock crappy pump. dont worry about the 5vr, you can get a few banjamins for it on ebay or craigs list. if she's got 400+ hp that thing will have an upgraded turbo, and injetors at a minimum.

talk them down a little but not much since they have to do some repairs, does sound like a good deal that wont be around long.

Old 06-01-2007 | 05:41 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I dunno .... maybe it's me, but I'd rather buy a basically stock used truck and mod it myself rather than buy an already modded one.

If it were me, I'd spend a little less money on a stocker that wasn't modded, isn't leaking, and is the right color for me and mod it myself.

Best of luck whatever you decide !!

Old 06-01-2007 | 05:52 PM
GFB
Professional

I'd pay $18-19k max for that truck. Don't get in a hurry. The deals are out there, you just have to hunt a little for them. I drove 200+ miles to get my truck. Look on autotrader, cars.com, etc. I've never understood why people pay 2-3k more at dealers for a used vehicle when they could buy cheaper from a private seller.

Old 06-02-2007 | 04:43 PM
Ramman18
|
Champion

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I dunno .... maybe it's me, but I'd rather buy a basically stock used truck and mod it myself rather than buy an already modded one.

If it were me, I'd spend a little less money on a stocker that wasn't modded, isn't leaking, and is the right color for me and mod it myself.

Best of luck whatever you decide !!
Oh, great wise and powerful sage, sir Mayfair, I have taken your advice. Well, actually, felt pretty much right away that this wasn't gonna be my truck. Nice rig but not for me. Got to thinking about the enigine mount and if that was broken, they must have worked this truck pretty hard. I'd rather find a stocker in my color and mod it my way, like you said. The salesman called me yesterday and said it was sold, so somebody will use it for what it's designed. I've been looking every day for the past 6 months and haven't found what I really want yet . . . .but she's out there somewhere!

Old 06-02-2007 | 04:51 PM
Ramman18
|
Champion

ORIGINAL: GFB

I'd pay $18-19k max for that truck. Don't get in a hurry. The deals are out there, you just have to hunt a little for them. I drove 200+ miles to get my truck. Look on autotrader, cars.com, etc. I've never understood why people pay 2-3k more at dealers for a used vehicle when they could buy cheaper from a private seller.
You're absolutely right. I've been looking on line and in every ad and paper and dealership for 6 months. The good thing is that I'm not in a hurry and that allows me to walk away from anything that isn't right. Only reason I would go to a dealer is to trade-in my half ton. But if I wait long enough, I may just pay cash for a diesel and have two trucks! Btw, your black one is what I'm looking for except non-sport.

Old 06-02-2007 | 05:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Ramman18

Oh, great wise and powerful sage, sir Mayfair, I have taken your advice.

LOL ... I think you made the right choice. No sense paying for something that your not real happy with. Keep looking, it'll find you.

Old 06-02-2007 | 06:02 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Ramman18
I've been looking every day for the past 6 months and haven't found what I really want yet . . . .but she's out there somewhere!
Thats exactly what I did. I bought every auto trader for a couple years just "keeping my eye out" for one. Ended up finding the one I have now and it's everything I wanted. Plus the wait makes getting that much more exciting and when you find the right one, the wait will be worth it.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Hey EXPERTS . . . . over here!!