Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ouch.... a 07 blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007 | 04:26 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: ouch.... a 07 blown motor

ORIGINAL: triton

I'm learning real quick on diesel mechanics. I'm finding there's not a whole lot to it. These motors are very easy to work on. Just getting past the intimidation of not doing it before is the hard part. I have a service manual which make it a whole lot easier.
I hear ya brotha, especially the part I put in red. It took me about a year or so just to attempt to take a wrench to it. Onc I did and once I found THIS Motley Crew over here, there was no stopping me !!

It's weird that you put this up today, I was wondering where you've been. I was just going to post a question asking when you were comming to Carslle. Are you still planning on going? I'm trying to round up the troops *cough* DEMON *cough*

Best of luck to ya Triton. PLEASE take as many pics as possible of the chain of events. I think it would be cool to see.

Old 06-14-2007 | 06:44 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: triton

well dudes, I went and blew my motor. I went to ATL dragway Saturday just for fun. A couple runs down the track and I did very well. Ran a 14.0 at 94mph.

My third run at about the 1/8, a big bang. White smoke bellowing out. I couldn't see a thing behind me.

I rolled across the finish line under no power. get to the end and the track crew is yelling at me to shut it down ! They thought I was on fire. The fire truck, ambulance and every 4 wheels on the track was there in a heart beat.

pop the hood and it looked like oil bomb went off. literally everything in there was covered with oil. My first thought was that I just blew the turbo.... not a big deal.

Got the truck towed back to my shop and started in on it Monday. I had a new ATS manifold that was waiting on the new turbo I ordered. In hoping I just blew the turbo I took it out and my stock manifold.

Unfortunately, when I got the manifold off, there was oil in # 4 & # 5 exhaust ports. Still with the optimisum, I was hoping that was just blow back from the turbo. I cranked it up without the manifold on and the oil continued to come out.

Still being optimistic, I went ahead and installed the new turbo and manifold. With my fingers crossed I cranked it up. It ran but, with a very rough idle. Oil again began to pour out of the exhaust. Not a good sign.

So, today i removed my injectors and found this on #4..............

I'm going to pull the head tomorrow but, I'm pretty sure I have a hole in #4 piston. The amount of oil in the exhaust is almost a dead give away.

Yeah this sucks but, I played and was prepared for the consequences. Just not to this extreme. I thought these motors could handle a lot more than I gave it.

I was running my Smarty on beta 4.3 #7 and the TST on 2/0. Apparently, the stock turbo just couldn't handle the heat and not only smoked the exhaust side of the turbo but, seems to have fried a piston too.

When I get in there tomorrow, I do hope to find it's repairable but, my hopes aren't high. All the signs lead to a blown motor.

In looking into what can be done, I've found a new 5.9L 325hp motor will be cheaper than repairing the one I have. So, if I have to get a crate motor... it's gonna be built to the hilt with performance parts in hopes of avoiding this problem again at the track.
[align=center]
[/align]
Put crate motor in it to get back on the road and if the old block is still good build it up to be the bad *** motor. (you can take your time and do it right)

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:32 AM
Drew
Professional

mmmmm. . .12 valve???

in all reality, 1350F is about as high as one needs to go before bad things start to happen. . .this is sustained BTW. 1400-1600F at short bursts is ok, but what happened here was that sustained high temp that heat soaked the piston and well. . .you found the weak point.

get some marine 370 pistons, get them coated and 2000F sustained is possable

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:49 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

wow that sucks! any idea what the built motor is going to run you? I'd assume your going to be installing cams & larger turbo or twins?

Old 06-14-2007 | 12:24 PM
Bigriver

Man, what a drag........sorry to hear of your losses. Like Drew said, these engines are truely destructable, if we push them to the point of no return. Let me ask, it seems everyone agrees that heat was the cause of the failure. What changes to the engine could have helped prevent this from happening again? A larger turbo? Less program influence? Maybe different internal heat resistant and stronger parts?
I don't have any of those answers, kind of new here as well to owning my first CTD. Hopefully some good could come out of this train wreck, and help us all understand our limits and precautions on tricking out these engines.
Again, sorry man.........but you still have one of the finest rides here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2007 | 12:59 PM
Drew
Professional

larger turbo for one. . .second would probably be some 50hp sticks since they will atomize the fuel differently and actualy burn cooler.

the stock turbo is only good for about 100hp over stock. once you go past that things will get hot fairly quick. an aftermarket turbo will flow more air on the higher end, not only that, but the efficency mapping of the turbo is wider which means it can be spun to higher RPM's and not just start to push hot air.

the intercooler is there to help pull temps down before the air hits the engine. the cooler the air charge the coller the exhaust will be, also the cooler the air the more dense it will be, and thus the more power that can be had. once the stock turbo is pushed past 35-40 psi, it is only pumping hot air since when you compress air, it gets hot. the more you compress the air, the hotter it will get. aftermarket turbo's dont give much of an increase in boost pressure, however what they will do is flow more air.

Old 06-14-2007 | 02:14 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

STOP!!!!!!!

IF THE TRUCK IS AN 07, THEN IT SHOULD HAVE A 100% WARRANTY!!!

TOW IT TO DODGE AND HAVE THEM PUT A NEW ENGINE IN FOR FREE.

remove your mods if need be.

WARRANTIES DO NOT REGULATE HOW HARD YOU HIT THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL!!!!!!!!

dont mention racing either

I wasdrivin grade and the thing smoked and shut down.......

Old 06-14-2007 | 02:23 PM
Ben D.
Champion

i like baja's idea lol. hey jake if pure aluminum melts at 1220. i'm guessing duramaxs will see the same egt's as the cummins soooo waht would happen to that piece of junk if it saw 1600. wonder if the entire thing would just melt. seeing as it's made of aluminum.

Old 06-14-2007 | 02:38 PM
Drew
Professional

the 1600 has to be sustained, and not only that you would have to heat soak it for a while for it to begin to melt.

BTW, doing that Baja is considered fraud. people get away with it all the time, however I would say since he's got some suspension mods they wouldnt be to kind.

Old 06-14-2007 | 02:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

BTW, doing that Baja is considered fraud.
Is it ??

Why ??

I was kinda thinking the same thing Baja was thinking. I don't know JACK about warranty's so a little education here would be cool.

Thanks !!

Quick Reply: ouch.... a 07 blown motor