Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Do it all over?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 AM
cmnspwr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do it all over?

If you had to start from scratch again with another CTD, what mods would or wouldn't you do? So far I have no regrets. I just wish that I would have bought a built tranny first. I think mine is starting to get a little slip-happy.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:16 AM
finny
All Star
Default RE: Do it all over?

i would get a beefed up manual transmission

Old 06-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: cmnspwr

If you had to start from scratch again with another CTD, what mods would or wouldn't you do? So far I have no regrets. I just wish that I would have bought a built tranny first. I think mine is starting to get a little slip-happy.
Dodge does say to adjust the auto trans every 30k.

change the filter, adjust the bands..or pay to have it done.

if you have lower miles on it, have a full trans flush done.

then the filter and adjusting is extra [:@]

the flush is about $150 + due to the higher capacity diesel rated trans.

filter and adjust is about $50 or more depending on where ya go. talk to local diesel shops and see who they recommend. Dodge will rape ya with out lookin back for that procedure.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Good question !!

I'm assuming starting over with the same Ram that you have now right? Well ... I'f I would have gotten it when it was brand new instead of used I probably wouldn't have gotten the hard top tonneau cover. It works really well for keeping things dry and out of the way, however it keeps me from using the truck as a TRUCK. I can't put anything taller than the bed rails in it which at times has been a real PITA. Taking it off is at least a 2 man job and someting always gets "bumped". Totally removing it altogether now isn't really an option because it's really rubbed the paint almost off where it closes.

If they were available at the time, I'm pretty sweet on those power steps instead of the running boards. I don't know why, I just think they're cool.

I probably wouldn't have gone with that bug deflector thing either. I don't think it deflects $hi*.

Other than that, I'm really happy with all of the choices that "I" have made, and I wouldn't hesitiate to make the same choices over again. I guess that's because I wait SOOOOO long to finally make a decision in the first place.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 PM
sharx ram
Champion

I have been really happy with mine, I wouldnt do it any differant...now its time to re-stud the head and goup on the injector size..if anyone has any thoughts about injector sizes I am open for suggestions.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
ga_noplugs

I like mine. I might have sprung for the megalimo had the price been better. I definitely would have saved a few more clams and spent them up front on some other mods. Different steps, Tires, etc.
Overall though, I'm happy and I always get a grin when I hop in and start her up. Heaven help when I add HP, I'll start lookin' like the Joker in Mayfairs Sig.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:07 PM
savage.basher

This is a good topic. I don't have any complaints/regrets about my current truck or anything I have done to it (which isn't much). However I wish I would have know earllier how sweet this truckwas going to beso I wouldn'thave wasted a year driving around in the 06 ram 1500 4.7L that I bought just before this one, hahaha.

Moral of story: Don't ever waste time or money buying a half ton with a week *** gasser in it.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

I am happy w/ whatI got now. If I was educated then as I am now. I would've spent less money and going through testing everything to get to where I am now. No programmers next time also. Just suspension and tires.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 PM
speakle
All Star

I made the mistake of buying a black 2wd and fixed it by trading it in on the inferno red 4wd I have now. My only regret is not telling the dealership to switch the exhausts for me and probably would have waited on installing the edge until the truck had more miles on it.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 PM
rausch42
Rookie

There is 2 things I wish I would have done different #1 manual trans but dealer shot me a hell of a price on the auto #2 wish it was blackagain dealer gave me a great deal.