Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Automotive GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automotive GPS

Okay everyone, I'm thinking of automotive GPS units. I saw Mayfair's on his post installing the gauges and started wondering about them. I've seen quite a few on E-bay, garmin, magellon and tom-tom's. Can anyone describe their experiences with what they may happen to own. Of course with rapid changing development in technology, theses dudes upgrade on a semi monthly basis, but can ya'll steer me to what ever works best for your applications. Thankseveryone..............

Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 PM
speakle
All Star
Default RE: Automotive GPS

I have never had one but have been looking recently. If I were to get one I think I would get one of the in-dash units. They are clean looking, play dvds and are usually loaded with other features.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Bigriver

Are you talking about the Mopar model, or does it come that way from the other maunfatures, ie garmin, magellon, tom-tom?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I can't reccomend the Garmin that I have enough. It honestly was plug and play. It's the model C-330 and I got it at Walmart for about 300 bucks. It has a lifetime udate feature meaning that every 6 months or so you log onto Garmins website and upload new streets for free.

The unit was ready to use out of the box. Honestly, you just take it out of the box, stick it to your window, plug it in, and it picks up where you are and all of the surrounding streets. you couldn't ask for better.

I chose the Garmin simply because I remember a garminGPS in my dads boat and i figured if they've been doing this stuff for that long, they must be pretty good. The Tom Tom looks so much like the Garmin that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Garmin makes it as well and just sells it at a cheaper price.

Any questions, feel free

Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Bigriver

If they could only have changeable software that changes the voices. Hummmm?.....Anjola Jolie....... ...Jennifer Aniston.........Dolly Parton......May West.........Goldie Hawn...........Elvira....??????????

Old 07-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Believe it or not, there IS a unit that does that, but unfortunately it's not the Garmin. I was looking to have Mr T's voice in mine " Turn left ya FOOL" " Turn right SUCKA "

The Garmin DOES have different voices though. I currently have some Brittish sounding chick. Kinda sounds like Supernanny.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Bigriver

Turn here you naughty boy...........or I'll have to spank ya!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

Turn here you naughty boy...........or I'll have to spank ya!!!
ummm ... now you're gettin carried away ....

Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

thats funny i ran across this post because i just purchased a MAGELLAN ROADMATE 3000T off ebay a few hours ago... i have a friend thats got that one and has nothing but good things to say about it. im sure they all work awsome or else they wouldent be on the market. one think i heard about tomtom from a few reveiws was that it dident reconize alot of roads but who knows, its just what i read. im sure any one you get will do just fine bigriver.... when mine comes in ill post my $.02 on the unit and u do the same if you get one!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

I have a Delorme Gps Unit that just plugs into my laptop. It has a large screen so I am not squinting at a little screen hoping I dont miss my turn. It is loud and gives visual aid. I have my laptop mounted and you just stick the GPS on the window with suction cups. It has a very accurate map system, the best I have found. It is real easy to plot the course and save many things. It also is just like an atlas saved in your computer. This is the unit at bestbuy for only 70 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1175902230322. Here is my mount:

Quick Reply: Automotive GPS