Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Check Gage Light On @ 3000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 PM
minex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Gage Light On @ 3000 miles

I own a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD w/ 3000 miles. I purchased it around the April time frame. On Friday, I towed a 6000 lbs. TT 400 miles through several Colorado mountain passes. There were absolutely no problems. In fact, I couldn't even tell that there was a TT behind me. On Saturday, I filled up and almost 30 minutes later, the check gage light turned on and remained on. Today, I towed the TT home (the light stayed on the entire time) and pointed out this check gage light to my father in law.

He asked if I filled up with fuel shortly before the light turned on. Sure enough, I remember filling up almost 12 miles before the light turned on. He told me to open the gas cap and close it again. The light went off after I did this. He didn't have an explanation for this but just told me that it has happened to him before. Anyone else ever hear of this? Why would my check gage light turn on after fueling and why would opening and closing the gas cap make it go away. *shrug*

Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Check Gage Light On @ 3000 miles

vacume in the tank???

Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 PM
minex
Veteran

Thats what I thought, but when I opened the cap, it didn't seem as if air was rushing to get in or out.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

Alot of the newer vehicles will throw a code if the fuel cap is not on or threaded properly. A couple of years ago I purchased a GMC Sierra and when I was test driving it. The engine light was on. The dealer told me that the gas cap was the wrong one because the original one fell off or something. They replaced it w/ the right one for my vehicle make. Cleared it and no engine light for the two years I owned it. I forget the reason they put a sensor on the fuel/gas cap. I wasn't really listening to the salesman.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
dieselram
Captain

Thats common with late model vehicles, but this is the first time I've heard about it on a diesel. It is a vaccum sensor I believe. Just make sure the cap clicks a few times when you screw it on.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Doesn't the sensor have something to do w/ the "people of california" knowning that vapor's from a fuel tank are bad for you?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
allmine
Rookie

happend to me on my '02 ram 1500..same problem not putting the cap on all the way...just dissconnected and reconnected the electircal power from the battery and everything was good to go

Old 07-08-2007, 09:59 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

Doesn't the sensor have something to do w/ the "people of california" knowning that vapor's from a fuel tank are bad for you?
Anything is possible out here.[sm=boohoo.gif]

Quick Reply: Check Gage Light On @ 3000 miles