Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Please Help Fixing 01 2500

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Fixing 01 2500

I have 2 problems. First, it sounds like there is a LOUD cricket under my hood. You only hear it when I get on the throttle, or the exhaust brake kicks in. Also, the boost will only go to 26 psi, again pulling a 10k trailer and flooring it only gets 26 psi boost. It is a high pict whistle / cricket sound. There seems to be a bunch of hot air blowing out of the inter-cooler on the top left passenger side corner. The air is so hot you can't hold you hand in front of it after a 5 hour drive with a 10k trailer. I think the inter cooler is blown. Any other ideas???

Second problem, I was coming home from a trip on the interstate and a truck lost its load of sawdust right in front of me. Look like a white out blizzard for about 10-15 seconds. Now there is saw dust all inside the inter-cooler, radiator and ac condenser, I got enough out to get home, but the truck overheats if you put any load on it. How do I get the saw dust out? I have tried blowing it out backwards with an air hose. I'm afraid if I try it the other way, it will just lodge it in there even deeper.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Please Help Fixing 01 2500

Pressure washer maybe?? I'm guessing.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:04 PM
triton
Record Breaker

man that really sucks... You really shouldn't have anything in there though as long as your air filter did what it should. The only way to get it clean right is to remove the cooler and intake manifold. Flush the cooler out good with water. Also clean the intake out and make sure you don't see any dust inside the plenum where the intake horn attaches. If you do, you better change your oil and it's filter. Blow off as much as you can on the outside of the a/c and radiator and hope for the best.

Like I said though, your air filter should have aught most of the dust. It might be a good idea to replace it also.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

UPDATE: It looks like it could be the rubber boot from the turbo to the intercooler. I can't tell where the air is coming from, but it is blowing out hard on the passenger side (around the coolant overflow). Anyone got any ideas how to narrow down the problem? I'd hate to buy a new intercooler and it only be a rubber boot.

Triton, It did not get inside the engine. The air filter worked. When I say it is inside, I mean in the fins of the AC condenser, Inter cooler and radiator. I was thinking the pressure washer would do the trick, but I don't want to jam it in there further.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:24 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I never did address your hiss problem. You're likely right, the boots are known to blow and that would be a good reason why you have the low boost.
There are boot kits you can buy to replace what you have but, you might want to check all the hose clamps for tightness first. One ould have just slipped enough to leak.

no expert here... just throwin' out some suggestions [sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Pressure washer will bend fins, just use a garden hose with no nozzle on it and wash it out from the engine side, you may need a little pressure to get it to flow through all of the coolers. Corse it sounds like you intercooler is blown so if you pulled that out you can easily flush the sawdust out of the other coolers.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Bob, I had the same thing happen to my 2000 ctd with the sawdust. I just removed the radiator and washed it out with a garden hose. Jake is right about the pressure washer, If your not careful you will bend the fins. If you take it out you also might be able to see better whats going on with the intercooler. You would'nt believe the crap that came off of mine when I washed it. Good luck

Old 07-15-2007, 11:18 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Pull your air to air pipe off the turbo and the intercooler and check the boots. It's a lot easier to see any tears/holes when you have it out of the truck. If the clamps are tight and the boots aren't torn, its gonna be the intercooler.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:41 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I blew everything out with my air compressor and you guys are right. There was just as much crap in there as was saw dust. Dead bugs, animal hair, grease and all types of other stuff I don't even want to think about. It might be a good idea to just blow it out from time to time. I figure if the intercooler is shot, then it is gonna have to come out and I can clean the ac condenser and radiator at that time.

I'll try tightening the hose clamps and see what happens. It sucks because the only time it does this is when the truck is under load and you can't put it under load in the garage.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Is anyone running this hose kit? I think the hoseconnected to the intake side of the intercooler is causing the air leak. I figure might as well replace all of them, if one is shot, the others might not be too far behind, especially with 171k on the engine.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ber=BD-1045210

Quick Reply: Please Help Fixing 01 2500