Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pressure

Why didn't you remove the stocker triton? I'd think you'd want to clean up the engine area as much as you could.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Why didn't you remove the stocker triton? I'd think you'd want to clean up the engine area as much as you could.
in 05.5 the pump went into the tank

Old 07-25-2007, 05:23 PM
triton
Record Breaker

like myself most of the time... I forget to look at what model /year people have when answering something. The stock pump for my truck is in the tank. The GDP kit requires you drop the tank and install a new feed tube. That's what my lines are onnected too. The stock lines ( except foe the return ) stay in place. If you ever have a problem, all it takes is unplugging the walbro ( OEM electrical connection ) and plugging the stock pump back in.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend

That's pretty cool !!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I might be a little off... but I believe the the OEM fuel system is good enough for stock tomild modded trucks, only restrictions would be the "banjos" ids are too small, one could "drill" em out to open em up and allow more fuel1? No? (would be cheaper then a new system)

Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: SpLaT

I might be a little off... but I believe the the OEM fuel system is good enough for stock tomild modded trucks, only restrictions would be the "banjos" ids are too small, one could "drill" em out to open em up and allow more fuel1? No? (would be cheaper then a new system)
yep just a little.... I forget exactly but, I think the stock pump only does about 15psi. Another problem is they have a tendency to stop working at the most inconvenient times. The restriction is in the fuel lines themselves. The fittings may also restrict some whih is why I went with AN fittings. GDP's big line kit takes your fuel lines from about a 1/4" ( stock ) to 3/8". The bigger line enables more volume. I don't know that I'd drill out any fuel system fittings unless you EDMed them after doing it. It would be easier to just change them.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

All this stuff is still a little greek to me, but I think I'm getting it. So, if I understand the previous posts, Triton, you have a Walboro lift pump kit. The one for my truck would be this link (http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...?pf_id=3920345) and then you have the Big Line Kit with the 2 micron filter. Does that sound right?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: aka_chewy

All this stuff is still a little greek to me, but I think I'm getting it. So, if I understand the previous posts, Triton, you have a Walboro lift pump kit. The one for my truck would be this link (http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...?pf_id=3920345) and then you have the Big Line Kit with the 2 micron filter. Does that sound right?

yep, you got it ;-)

Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

My truck was replaced with an in-tank lift pump and I hate it.It alreadys has 40k on it and it goes down to 3 PSI when towing and climbing a big hill, 2 PSIif it is a really big hill, and I have seen 1 PSI on the gauge going up a really,really,really big hill. When it hit 1 PSI, the EGTs were at 1405 so I backed off real quick.

I found several places on the Internet that sell just the pump for around $125. The glacier diesel kit is $400 and I figure I won't be using half of the stuff they have like the fuel line, because I am going with SS hose and AN fittings. I've already sketched out the electronics that will switch between pumps on a failure, so you won't even know that you lost a fuel pump other than a light on the dash.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Mayfair
Legend

That IS what you were thinking about doing though right Bob? Going with two pumps just in case one fails?

How were you planning on plumbing them up?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure