Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

20% a Good Place to Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20% a Good Place to Start

I just put my first batch of commercial biodiesel in my truck. It is B20 (20% bio), made locally here in TNand 10 cents cheaper than petrol diesel. I have been wanting to try it for a while and have experimented with a few small batches of homemade stuff but haven't tried it on a large scale until now.

I was reading in a newspaper article that 25% of all the oil used to make diesel fuel comes from the mid east. Which is one of the regions of the world that I could really care less about. So I was thinking that if we (the US) could just find a way to get all trucks running bio diesel and then trim off another 5% somewhere, or run B25 then we could eliminate the need for any oil comming out of that region of the world. So after filling up with B20 and reading this article I thought to myself, 20% is a good place to start. No we aren't going to see B100 at the pumps for a long time if ever, but 20% stimulates the demand for this stuff which in turn cause more companies to find bigger and better ways to make it. Plus the bio portion is 100% USA made, keeping the jobs inside the US. Just something to think about the next time you fill up.

Here is a link to cummins web site. http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve..._biodiesel.jsp
Yes you can run up to B20 in your cummins under the engine warranty on engines from 2002 and up. Are there any 2001 engines still under warranty? Don't know why cummins added that other than a CYA.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: 20% a Good Place to Start

Nice, they do not have that in my area yet. I would make my own if it was not so expensive to start and time consuming to try and find the oil.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Finding the used oil has been the hardest part for me. 99% of the restaurants already have a commercial company picking it up for free. My time is also worth more than the few bucks you save making it yourself. Unlessdiesel goes over $6 a gallon or I can find a way to make 10,000 gallons of bio at attime,I figure I am better off buying it at the pump.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

B-20 as you say is a good start if you can find it at the same price or lower then diesel fuel and a place that sells it close to where you live or drive. FYI, Dodge still only approves the use of B-5 Bio in our trucks when it comes to warranty work/repairs, only the Fleet and Goverment trucks got the OK to use B-20 Bio. Cummins may say its OK for all trucks to use B-20 but Dodge is the one who pays the repair bill on our trucks under warranty not Cummins. BTW, if you don't have any warranty left on your truck then burn what ever fuel that makes you happy.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Silverline
Veteran

Hey CowboyBob. What system did you use when you make your own? I've got around 200 gallons of oil and have been trying to find a system to use it with.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:43 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Like my title says "It's a good start". Yes it may be tough to find in your area right now. I realize that the biodiesel pump that is located close to me is one of the only bio diesel pumps open to the public in the state of TN. I'm lucky enough to be close to one and the bio diesel is made right down the road. Also if you can get B20 and you don't want to run over B5 for warranty reasons, then put 1/4 tank B20 on top of 3/4 petro diesel and you've got B5. The more demand for the stuff, the more businesses will be making it.

I never built a processor because I could not get enough good quality used oil to make it worth my while to build one. I used the virgin oil and blender method to make all of my small batches. I got pretty good at it then quit because it cost around $5 a gallon to make. If I can get a good source of oil, I'm going to build a 30 gallon processor out of an old water heater. I figure 30 gallons = 1 tank so it would be worth while to do. There are 2 things to remeber if you want to run B100. #1 run it above 45-50 degrees outside temp and #2 you will need to upgrade your lift pump because B100 is thicker than petro diesel.

One other thing if you do decide to start breaking the addiction, keep some extra fuel filters on hand and watch the fuel pressure gauge close when you first start. If you have any sludge or crap in your tank or fuel lines, the biodiesel will break it loose and clean out your tank because it has a solvent like property. I have not had any problems in my 01 Dodge or 1974 Ford 3000 tractor with clogged filters. But once it is cleaned out, you're good to go. I've often wondered if the PS (power service) does the same thing to clean out the lines and tank. Of cources I'm not running 20% PS either. But running the PS could be the reason why I don't have any clogged filters. I was almost certain that the 33 year old tractor would have had something cleaned out and in the filter, go figure.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

what part of TN? maybe it will come to Asheville soon. considering Asheville is all about the "earth"

Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

I'm hoping we get some more commercial Bio places selling fuel up here. Right now the only place close to me is 70miles away, and they are purdy dran proud of their fuel.

http://www.prairiefirebiofuels.org/

If I could buy any mix cheaper than reg. diesel prices I'd be all over it.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob
#2 you will need to upgrade your lift pump because B100 is thicker than petro diesel.
FASS offers a model that is OK to use on Bio. I don't know what the difference is, or if it's OK to switch back and forth between bio and regular ole diesel, but they make one.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:27 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

It is in Brentwood,TN. I also think there are 2 places along I-40, one in Cookeville and one in Lebanon that sell BioWIllie which is just regular B20. I have already noticed that I get the same MPG with B20 as I do with regular diesel and Drew's Brew. So even if it cost a little more I'm still coming out ahead by not having to buy additives. There was is a Pilot station East of Memphis on I-40 that had it in the truck lane but only on one pump.

Quick Reply: 20% a Good Place to Start