Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

A question about short trips

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007 | 03:20 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
|
Professional
Default A question about short trips

I always hear how it's bad to make short trips with a diesel. I'm sure everyone can't avoid this all the time. I wonder about all those diesel cars in Europe and how they handle the short trips. What about all the diesel rabbits.. diesel gulfs.. diesel audi's and diesel oldsmobiles in the USA? Are the new owners of the diesel jeeps and half ton rams always going to bring the engine up to opperating temps? Europe is pushing diesel cars like theUSA is pushing alternative fuels. Everyone can'tonly betaking long trips!!!! Does anyone have any answers? DoI really need to worry about those short trips to the grocery store killing my new diesel?

Old 08-16-2007 | 03:38 PM
CutterW
Captain
Default RE: A question about short trips

Its not really the short trips that kill it. Its the turning it on and off, I live in a small town so my pickup doesnt get turned off if its like a 5min grocery shopping.

Old 08-16-2007 | 03:41 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
|
Professional

and thats another thing! They say long periods of idling is bad too! lol

Old 08-16-2007 | 03:55 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Well if you put it in neutral and set the E break, and bump up the idle then you wont have a problem.

Old 08-16-2007 | 04:12 PM
savage.basher

What is really happening though??? If you idle for a long time at low rpm's, or you turn it on or off alot, or you make alot of short trips, also is it bad if it sits for a week in between being driven???

Old 08-16-2007 | 04:13 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
|
Professional

Closer to cold weatherI plan to go back to the dealership to have the high idle function enabled..I won't use it often..but the times it sits outside over night it'll be worth it.Also plan to plug theblock heater into timer and having it come on a few hours beforeIusing the truck.I think it draws 1500 watts..that could hit the electric bill over time..I need to search out a timer that can handle 1500 watts though

Old 08-16-2007 | 04:17 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
|
Professional

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

What is really happening though??? If you idle for a long time at low rpm's, or you turn it on or off alot, or you make alot of short trips, also is it bad if it sits for a week in between being driven???
(I think) they say carbon can build up on the injectors? The engine doesn't get hot enough to burn it off.. There may be other problems brought on by short trips and excessive low idling too.. hope the knowledgable chime in

Old 08-16-2007 | 04:23 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: halfdozenbuzzin

Closer to cold weatherI plan to go back to the dealership to have the high idle function enabled..I won't use it often..but the times it sits outside over night it'll be worth it.Also plan to plug theblock heater into timer and having it come on a few hours beforeIusing the truck.I think it draws 1500 watts..that could hit the electric bill over time..I need to search out a timer that can handle 1500 watts though
'

Its actually only 650 to 700 watts.

Old 08-16-2007 | 04:48 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

For those of you who use a timer for the block heater, what kind of timer is it? Where did you buy it?

Old 08-16-2007 | 05:01 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
|
Professional

[/quote]

Its actually only 650 to 700 watts.
[/quote]

I'm not sure whereI read the 1500 watts butI know it surprised me.. 700 watts is more managable.. I'd still want a timer.. but it will be easier to find one that can handle the smaller load

Quick Reply: A question about short trips