Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Should I Be Concerned About Fuel Lubricity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:30 AM
handymanherb
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Be Concerned About Fuel Lubricity?

Should I Be Concerned About Fuel Lubricity?
Lubricity is the fuel quality that prevents or minimizes wear in diesel fuel injection equipment. Diesel lubricity is largely provided by trace levels of naturally occurring compounds in the fuel that form a protective layer on metal surfaces.
In order to meet the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) specifications, refineries now utilize processes that not only reduce the sulfur content of diesel blend components, but also remove compounds that provide lubricity. This has led to some concern that ULSD fuel might result in lubricity problems for fuel injection equipment.
Should you be concerned about the fuel lubricity for your Cummins Turbo Diesel engine? The answer is no.All diesel fuel sold in the U.S. since January 2005 must meet a fuel lubricity specification established by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Any fuel lubricity additives necessary to meet this new specification are added by the fuel suppliers before the fuel hits the pumps. So you do not need to add fuel lubricity additives to your highway diesel fuel.
©2007 Cummins Inc., Direct Marketing, Mail Code 60610, 500 Jackson Street, Columbus, IN 47201 U.S.A.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Should I Be Concerned About Fuel Lubricity?

Despite that straight forward statement from Cummins
(and Cummins has to put its money where its mouth is on warranty claims)
there have already been hundreds of posts on forums
about adding some 'voodoo cure' to ULSD
and if you check back a year from now
there will be a hundred more posts.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:27 AM
handymanherb
Banned

I know but I figgured I post what Cummins sent me

Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 PM
blondeguy08
Professional

they are sooo full of $h!t......... lol who checks to make sure the suppliers actually puts the additives in the fuel........

Old 08-18-2007, 01:31 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

I think if you don't run any additive you will be fine. If you do... be sure it's something thats been tested safe. I've read some posts of people adding synthetic 2-stroke oil.. as far asI have read thats a big no-no. I just added 16oz of Power Service and 8oz of TCW-3 2-stroke oil to a full tank..I can tell it's more quite.. smoother.. and has a bit more zip when leaving a stop light... the avg mileage meter has kicked up a few tenths so far also.. I like the results of the additives so I will probly keep pouring it in.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:36 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ULSD and LSD meet the same exact minimum lubricity requirements but extra lubricity won't hurt anything. For me though lubricity was never an issue as to why I use additives. Because my truck can sit parked for a week or two at a time I need additives to keep bacteria growth in the fuel tank to a minimum. Also I like the fact that it demulsifies water from the fuel so my seperator can catch it. Bacterial growth and water in your fuel is a fact of life with diesels. If you run through lots of fuel bacteria not as bad but water is always a given.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
donnie
Professional

Im trying the 2 stroke additive now after using PS and MMO and noticed a little more zip when hitting the skinny pedal.
I may try the PS/ 2 Stroke.
Wont know the mileage results till I refuel but Ill let you know the results.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you need it. . .nope. do I use them. . .yup. mileage gains, truck shakes less and as donnie stated, a bit more zip when standing on the little pedal on the right

Quick Reply: Should I Be Concerned About Fuel Lubricity?