Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7 diesel problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
mslevy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7 diesel problems

I am in the market for a new Dodge Diesel. After reading all these threads on the problems people are having I am having second thoughts on Dodge. Does anyone know if the new ones that the dealer has still having these problems. Or should I wait until the '09 model comes out.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 PM
mjackson92rs
Professional

for all of you whos 6.7s are throwing a turbo engine code, this is the fix. My dads truck just had this problem and after many dealer trips this is what was done:

1. Turbo taken off
2. A hole was drilled and tapped into turbo
3. A port was installed on turbo to allow cleaning.

The check engine light comes on when the turbo is clogged and is no longer operable. You will loose all boost and all exhaust brake functions. The purpose of this "cleaning port" is so that a water based cleaner can be injected into the turbo and run through the system, cleaning out the turbo and anything else it comes into contact with. This must be done whenever the turbo becomes clogged in the future.

Now i don't know about you guys, but this seems like a temporary fix to me due to the fact that you have to keep up with keeping the turbo clean.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:42 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

wow, that IS crap...

so happy I have a 5.9...

Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 PM
2008cummings
Professional

my truck is having the check engine light as well. Turbo works so does the jake brake. actually don't notice anything but the light is on. They claim waiting on a new )2 sensor. drove home few days later the check engine light went off and then back on few weeks later. dealer claims a new flash going to be out next week... anyone else hear of this??

Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 AM
ProjectMegaCab

Those who are having the engine light come on; are you ever getting a warning about the DPF level? I thought at 80% full you would get a warning and 50mph mininum was needed to start the regen cycle. At 99-100% full dealer service is required. Just wondering if the warning comes on when it should.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Safari-rick
Default Engine Light Coming on 6.7L

Ok guys. I had the same problem a few weeks ago on my 2007 6.7L Turbo. I immediately called my service rep and ask'd if it was ok to continue driving as I had read various threads about the problems some were having. He said to go ahead and continue driving the truck and bring it in when I had the first chance. He mentioned that it was a software problem and they had just gotten in the fix.

So, the following friday, I took it in and they upgraded the computer to "2.0" and it's been two weeks now with no lights coming on, or any other problems.

By the way, I had mentioned an issue when I first got the truck last year with one of my speakers blown out. It appears that a bad batch of "Panosonic" speakers were put in and all you got to do is bring in the truck and the dealer is suppose to swap out the "bad blown" speaker. The speakers have a 5 year warranty.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth !!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
BLACKTRUCK

Was just going to read some of the threads to see what excuses and band-aids that Dodge has been giving out since my last entry, then I got all worked up and felt I had to vent.

Since my last entry my check engine light has come on 3 more times. Have been told about the new program, new sensor, yada yada yada. What really irritates me is being told the last time I was in is that "I was the guinea pig for this new motor." I feel so happy spending over $50,000 and being told that. All I can do now is just laugh. I have a new vehicle with the check engine light going on and off so often I think Im at a Pink Flloyd concert. I have a stereo system that has been completely replaced(radio unit, speakers twice, and amps) yet changes channels whenever it wants and can be turned on and off by hitting the dashboard. I have a truck that comes with a dvd to TEACH me how to drive my diesel. I took the dvd the other day and put it into the gps in the dash and the truck started up, did not idle, put the excaust brake on, got and the highway, drove 70 mph, right to the dealership. I didn't even touch the wheel. Which was good because on the way the light came on AGAIN!!!

Now it is 30 min later and I feel so much better. Thank you Dodge forum for letting me vent. I will be reading your replys and please keep telling us what the dealerships are saying...it makes me feel better that you all are being fed the same BS! Good luck!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
gud2b4lsu

I have an 07 3500. I have 63,000 miles on it. I have no such problems. when the truck was brand new I put a k&n air filter on it and the check engine light came on. I brought it to the dealer and they pulled the code and said it was the k&n. I put the factory filter back in and no more check engine lights. I also had a small crack on the injecter pump at about 10,000 miles. Ujoints at 20,000 miles. warranty covered everything. since then the truck has been great.
I have noticed everyone complaining has a jake brake. my truck does not. (mabe that is the culprit)

Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Safari-rick

I've got the jake brake and as gud2b4lsu, other then the engine light and then having the software update, and the one speaker replacement, no problemos. (will keep you guys posted if further problems occur)

Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 AM
hmb72

Hey Forum,
I just wanted to let everyone know that they got a new fix for one of the codes by wraping the exhaust and download. It came out on September 13 if you are having any problems stop by your service department. My 07 light came on again while waiting for the paperwork to clear for my truck replacement through Dodge. I will be glad to see that truck go. Hope I have better luck with the next one.

Quick Reply: 6.7 diesel problems