Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7 diesel problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 PM
eaglestorm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got the tsb about wraping the exhaust We think it also just a bandaid fix. we cant even get the cleaner from chrysler It's on back order. and we have atleast 6 trucks lined up for buy back (lemon law)

Old 09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
nagaranch

i just bought my 08' 6.7L about 90days ago. i'm about 3 blocks from 5000miles. i had the check engine light read at an autoparts store. the thing had the no turbo boost and an emissions one, something like e 22687 code. not 100% on that number. called the dealership and she started blaming me in a round about way. i drive 5 hrs one way 2 to 3 times a month to my lease, and i work on galveston which is a 1hr dr. for me, mostly at 65-70. i do 80-90 on the lease trips. i would think this would do all the cleaning out needed. am i wrong on this. also i hear about a regen. cycle, this was never explained t me. can anyone here tell me about this, and how i perform it. thank you

Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM
soldbyyou.com
Rookie
Default Whew I thought is was just my truck

I had the same problem when my husband and I drove my truck from GA to British Columbia Canada back in august. We were going along and then the check light came on near Leavenworth KS and she lost some power. We took her to a small dealership and the mechanic pulled up the codes for me (pic) the doors work fine.

The mechanic told us that there was no sure fire cure for the problem at the moment, dodge is aware of the problem but the best thing to do is to keep the jake brake on at all times and when we leave the shop to punch it. Something about carbon on some fins in the turbo...and some other stuff. We did as he said and we made it to Canada without any check engine light on or loss of power. Of course when I took it to the dealership up there, the truck was acting fine.....

So she will be sitting in Canada for the next 3 years, hopefully by then there will be a permanent fix when i come back. ;-)

Attached Thumbnails  6.7 diesel problems-ramcodes.jpg  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM
boaterman

11,000 miles, first engine light. 5 days later after a DPF/turbo clean i'm back on the road.
11,010 miles, next light, code 22262. Keep driving and light goes out.
11,035 miles, another light, code 2262. Keep driving and light goes out. The overhead shows 'System OK' It is running good and I plan to keep driving until I have a loss of power.
Anyone with a better suggestion??? I hope these problems are corrected before the warranty expires. We should have our warranty extended until a fix is developed.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:19 PM
ramminit

you my friend have the same problems a friend of mine has heres the deal your truck will be fine except one thing you will soon have the light come on for the crank sensor your truck is doing the same thing as my other one is doing i mean to a T you will find that after that there shouldnt be any more problems if mine comes up with a code ill let you know ahead of time so you can tell your dealer there are at least a dozen trucks i know of following that same pattern and mine is in the lead i have also heard that if you put a chip in it the problems are less likely to come up im going to try it just installed a edge chip in my 08 and im telling you what it brought this monster alive even with the emissions stuff on there i did have to do one thing and that was to put a muffler delete pipe in but just reinstall it for inspection local dealer said they will do the warranty work with no ? asked because of the previous problems with my other 6.7's

Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 PM
rtrolli
Cool new owner is worried now!

Well Holy Cra! Batman,I just bought a new 08 Megacab 6.7 4x4,auto.My 1st new truck ever!I did this after a couple of good friends answered all my?I couldnt buy a 3/4 ton gas motor for what I gave for my new Dodge.I wonder if this is why?I have close friends who pull horse trailers constantly some have 3/4 6.0gas chevys pull great but tranny&intake trbls.my brother had 1/2ton chevy with tranny trble.I have 2 good friends that have 07 6.7 dodge diesels,and love them no trble they said & would buy again!I pull my camp trailer not too big but the wind out here in eastern N.M. when it blows will make a good gas truck fall on its a.$ Ive read some forums& the other day on my way to work with about 615miles my dpf filter light came on& I about sh*!I took it on the road after wrk& about 2miles into it my regen started @55mph,6miles into it because I reset the trip when I pulled out of work it was completed.So far so good.Whew,thanks for the tip on running with the jake brake on I will do this from now on.Any more info I would appreciate......Thanks

Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM
etchy
Talking 6.7good news

my 2008 3500 6.7 has been awsome.I have 8850 miles and i am very happy.I found some info that impressed me.mercedes top enginneers and dodge's worked together to design the blue tech then split.i've been told by higher up's at dodge that we have by far the best cummins ever,and to stay with any and all dodge rules to keep the warrinty and all the minor bugs will be handled.we have things on our blue tech that only 2008 offered. Mercades blue tech cant be touched with there greatness.look at this months diesel mag on there blue tech.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
nagaranch

well i now have just shy of 14000 on the truck and had to have the turbo replaced at 13500. the first time i took it in they drilled and tapped it (the turbo) and told me to run the exhaust brake all the time, and don't leave the truck running, which i did with much ridicule from my friends. "It's a diesel....that thing should be able to idle forever"....i'm not happy. i can see a lawyer and the lemon law in my future with this truck.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
mc1374

Look into your states Lemon Law, Find a law firm that handles only Lemon cases, keep all your repair orders. I used the firm of Kimmel&Silverman. In Ohio Chrysler had to pay my attorney fees, and they could not charge me milage. I got the truck replaced and choose a new 09 Ram over another Diesel. I loved the Diesel but did not want to risk going through the problems again. All in all it took about 5 months for them to get my deal done.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:14 AM
nagaranch

yeah i think it has to go to the dealer one more time. 3X in texas i believe. i probable wouldn't get another either. i used to have a v10 that i loved.

Quick Reply: 6.7 diesel problems