Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Am I a glutten for punishment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Am I a glutten for punishment?

OK, so as many of you know I like to hike... did half dome 2x this year, backpacked into little yosemite valley for a couple of nights, hiked back to Merced lake and did a bunch of little hikes during the year. All said & done I'm probably sitting at about 70~80 miles of hiking so far this year. I was invited to do the Mt Whitney hike, 22 mi RT & 6500' elevation gain. My 1st response was hell no. been there done that. but as time went on & the trip nears (end of Sept) I feel an opportunity to day hike it for 1 last time. At the beginning of the year I was 30+ lbs heavier and in far worse shape than I am now. Been doing 60~90 minutes of cardio a day/5~6 days/weekand worked really hard to bump up the metaboilism to help loose the weight (still have 22~25 lbs to go) So I've committed to the Mt Whitney trip and am looking to do a marathon hike to "tune up" before the trip... Looking to do Clouds Rest & Half Dome on the same hike which is doable but will be hard. I'm guessing 24 miles & 7000' of elevation change (not 100% sure on the elevation gain, I'm guessing based on past experiences up there).

reason for doing the hike this weekend is to gauge my current condition to see if the top of whitney is feasable... (mostly due to asthma). Last time I did it I had no asthma medicine and we backpacked into the upper camp @ 12500' and did the last 2000' as a day hike. That day hike was the most bruital hike to date, mostly in part becuase of the asthma and I couldnt hardly breath. the last 1/2 mile was spent hiking 100' then stopping, 100' then stopping. when I got to the top, I forgot to sign the "guest book", took some pictures and then kinda forgot what the hell I was doing... (really light headed). So this time around with med's I'm sure I should be better...

So I guess the point of all this is does anyone here have anything to point out before these 2 trips? the only thing I can think of is on the whitney trip, I need to spend 1~2 days @ 8k or above to get somewhat aclimated to the altitude...

Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Am I a glutten for punishment?

Damn, that sounds like a hell of a hike.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?!?!?!?!?![sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 09-13-2007, 08:39 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: bajafun

WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?!?!?!?!?![sm=goodidea.gif]
Happy Isle trailhead at about 5am this Saturday lol...

Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Kudos man...14,500 feet is a bit up there, and the air is gettin a little thin there. I live relatively close to there and have never been up there, but in the shape I am in climbing into my Truck is work sometimes. However I am working on that...so maybe someday.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

that sounds like a fun and bad a$$ hike! good luck...wishI could do it!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Bigriver

Hey Steve, Glad to see that there aresome backpackers still left around this world. A lifetime ago, (about 20 years)I and two friends hiked the entire John Muir Trail. It consisted of 26 days on the trail, covering 250 miles including the hike outs to outfitters for re-supplying. We began in late Aug. in Sequoia National Park, traveling north to Yosemite National Park. The trail actually begins at the top of Mt. Whitney, crossing 13 mountain passes along the way. It was a tough climb up the swtich backs, and altitude sickness affected us all to some degree. I remember that as we hiked to the top of Mt Whitney, which was about 10 miles along the trail, wegained about 1 mile in elevation! I was 30 years old and in decent shape at the time, but the hike ate every bit of fat off my skeleton. I have to say that the John Muir hike was my premier hike of all the places I've been around the US. I think regardless of how tough it may happen to be to make, you'll remember it as I do. I feel that you're truely blessed with living in an area with so much to offer outdoors. Enjoy it while your health allows you to and Happy Trails! __________________________________________________ ______________________________ Beginnig the Hike __________________________________________________ ______________________________ Mt Whitney Placcard __________________________________________________ ______________________________ Shelter at the Top __________________________________________________ ______________________________ King of the Mountain __________________________________________________ ______________________________ Mellow Sunset __________________________________________________ ______________________________ Trails End at Yosemite National Park __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Old 09-13-2007, 01:04 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

woohooo... thanks for the motivational pics Walt!!! I have a book with all the pics I took when I backpacked to the upper camp and did the day hike to the top. Did that in 2001 and it was an awesome trip. two things that I remember most (beyond the obvious one of making it to the top) was the willingness of total strangers to help setup camp at the lower camp. That blew me away... there were 4 in our group, 1 of them had altitude sickness really bad and the other 3 decided to hike all the way out and get a motel room in town. I stayed behind and hiked down to the lower camp the 2nd night which is where I had more than enough help... the 2nd thing was the hike out the next morning. it was truely awesome as the sun rose casting shadows on the canyon/mtn walls, the cool brisk October morning air... and the sight of a car door having been ripped apart because someone left food inside... OOOOPS...

anyways, thanks! now I'm even more motivated... I will be sure to post up the pics.

Quick Reply: Am I a glutten for punishment?