Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

RUNNIN SMOOTHER

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUNNIN SMOOTHER

As some of you know from my previous post I run up and down the road a total of about 750 to whatever miles a week towing a 27ft piece of crap stock trailer. Anyway, whenever I burn EXXON fuel my truck runs smoother ,much more quiet andmy mileage picks up a bit. If I run any other fuel everything seems to go backwards. Im not saying its running bad ,just better. Anybody else noticing this. Since the new rule has applied to off topic post I thought I would throw in a pic of Nickbeeks new tractor in this post.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52408/D8ACBA7F7EC34A8B80F3EADFA95ED1AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Default RE: RUNNIN SMOOTHER

Yup, I have found the same thing to be true about fuel from Exxon. I had sworn them off when they allowed that capt to run the tanker aground in Alaska, but hey my truck runs better and gets better mileage.

Watermelon, you are mistaken.... That's Jakes tractor. Now go play with ur FLOWERS!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 AM
SpLaT
Captain

Could be that the particular fueling stations you get your diesel from might be close to a "raw diesel" storage facility, where the additives like cetane, de-waxers and anti-static compounds are added directly to the tankage then trucked to fueling stations. Where the stations that get fuel that was "spiked" at the refineries then "pipe lined" to storage tanks, tend to lose some of the effects of the spiking. Notice alot around western Canada, where the raw stuff is spiked just as its loaded to tankers for delievery, is better quality, then thestuff that is"prespiked"then pipe lined, long distances to storage tanks.(pre delievery)

Many years ago worked at a place where we recieved large diesel batches which were "spiked" as it went into 100,00bbl tanks then trucked out. Even had a guy sitting at the loading facility who would climb onto the tankers and dump 1/2 cups of dye into each trailer for dyed diesel(before automation came along).

Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

dont have much choice for diesel roun here. you have circle k , what was a mobile station, joe blow on the corner, and maybe a shell 8 miles away. i run circle k diesel. safeway diesel when Im in north Phoenix.

havent seen an exxon with diesel for a while...

Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Nothing beats the B20 that I have been using. It runs smoother and quiet. I get better mileage than regular diesel with additives, plus I don't have the added cost of the additives and the bio is usually a few cents cheaper than regular diesel.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:20 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Cowboy, we have had a local chain of stations selling B20 around here for 3 years now. They were selling Bio-***** (***** Nelson's Fuel) but they switched toa locally grown soy based suppplier now and my truck runs like crap on it. When they had the Bio ***** stuff my previous truck ran better and got better mileage. I wish I could find good bio again. Oh well, just have to make due until the local guy gets some competition.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

I agree that the fuel matters - - for me it is a 76 station. Safeway diesel does bad things to my rig, Fly'n J is just as bad; but I think that was LSD not ULSD and my truck has been on ULSD for so long I think it forgot how to swallow it.

We have a few bio stations up here - - but they are all hard core tree huggers and only sell 100% We've thought a couple times about doing our own so we could mix it to B20 but honeslty I don't have the room or the time. I'm sick of sending letters to the co-op that runs the bio stations up here begging for B20.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

We are Flying J all the way... for the same reasons, consistant better power and economy.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Lilfrog, under fill your truck then add the appropriate amount on top of B100 to get the blend you want. All that is really needed is about 2 - 5% bio to get the benefits. Just a thought.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

I filled up at a valero station the other day, it said "use in 07 and later is prohibited" so I assumed it was LSD. Anyways, Filled her up from 1/8 of a tank , and drove for a while around the outskirts of town. Got a really bad case of dead pedal, felt like a 6.0 Ford. Milage sucked on that tank, i think I got 13 (usually get 15)however, it seemed like the idle was better(not necessarily smoother), sounded more like my 2nd gen(Box ofwrenches in a paint shaker)Im on my 2nd tank of fuel that I know is ULSD and she's running fine with milage back up.

Quick Reply: RUNNIN SMOOTHER