Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Questions about dealerships, please post answers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Questions about dealerships, please post answers...

I would like to thank everyone for posting. I am amazed at all crap that dealers put customers through.The info shared here will taken to a business center meeting. I think corporate officersand other managers are going to be in for an eye-opening experience. Some of the horror stories that have been posted are testiment to why the word stealership was invented.
When a vehicle is sold at my dealership, the salesman are required to introduce me to the buyer. I have a saying when I meet a customer that everyone appreciates. It is "I am brutally honest, I may not always make you happy, but I will always tell you the truth, I had rather you leave mad at me knowing that I am honest than leave happy and later find out that I am a liar". I have found that if you tell the truth, even if its unwanted news, people respect it. I don't see how service departments stay in business when their main goal is to provide poor customer service. The sad part is, most of these managers/advisors/parts guys don't know that they are losing customers because of their attitude and their desire to make as much money as they possibly can, no matter who they hurt or if they ever see that customer again. I believe that if a customer knows that you are honest, they are willing to pay alittle more for good service and fair treatment and will return to do business again.
Thanks again for the insight. Please feel free to call or email me if you ever need help.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:19 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am amazed at all crap that dealers put customers through.The info shared here will taken to a business center meeting. I think corporate officersand other managers are going to be in for an eye-opening experience. Some of the horror stories that have been posted are testiment to why the word stealership was invented.
Question is, Are they really going to do anything about the isssues? Will this information be shared nationwide? Not trying to bust your ***** or anything, but I don't see that happening because they are in business to make money, period!I do appreciate the fact that you came here to find out some of the problems with stealerships and service depts. I hope that you can do something about it. I wish you the best.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. What is your biggest gripe about the service department that you visit.
I have never had my Dodge in for service.

2. Same question about the parts department.
I know you guys can't do much about this, but my biggest gripe about dealer parts is the ridiculous prices for most of the stuff. Especially forparts that you shouldn't have to replace. I have a 2000 Chrysler 300M, and it has little center caps for the factory rims. They are about two inches in diameter and look like they should cost about $4. Two of mine had the little steel fingers rust off, so they would no longer stay attached. Those little caps cost $30 apiece, so it cost me $60 plus tax for two of these little caps that rust to pieces in six years! Like most people I avoid the dealer parts counter like the plague unless I need something that is just not available anywhere else. Clearly these parts departments would sell a lot more volume if the prices were more reasonable.

3. What would be something that you would like to see the service department do or offer you to make your visits more frequent or more pleasant.
How about a wireless Internet connection in the waiting room? Also, where I am (southern Maryland) the local Dodge/Chryslerparts/service is not open nights or Saturdays. Some evening hours would be good for service, and I think the parts dept should be open at least a few hours on Saturdays.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:16 AM
woligator
Record Breaker

idont like dealer more than u guys,ive called 2 time to get a appointment for my Cam.pos.sensor and they didnt called me back,and they only have diesel tech on tues, weds,thurs, all the others day no one even know
a thing about them....
and last time i showed in,they started to ask about my programmer on the dash,the gauges,saying that migh cause trouble because my boost gauge in my pillar steel some boost so the wastegate wont see full pressure and not operate...??? i do want the wastegaste to open at higer boost but the gauge will def dont get in the way....

Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM
behindbars

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

When a vehicle is sold at my dealership, the salesman are required to introduce me to the buyer.
My dealer did the same thing and the service manager is an old diesel head. He's actually the one that sold me on the truck. It was an auto and I wanted a stick. He promised to take care of me if something happened. Plus he liked to brag about his Bully Dog setup and told stories of taking carea fewpeople that destroyed their trucks modding them up. So I didn't think warranty BS was going to be a problem with him.

I've only been in twice. Once for my first free oil change. The second time for the inside door handle coming apart (warranty), the weatherstripping underthe front cowl blowing out (warranty), and to turn on my high idle (free). Both times I was in I was in and out real quick. They treated me great and actually seemed to appreciate my business.

The only complaint I had was Ibought a fuel filter at the parts counter and they charged me $24.99[sm=insomnia.gif] I shoulda made them keep it. I did buy my mudflaps from them cause they were the same price as the internet minus shipping.

Thanks parts/service. You're a good friend to the forum and we can tell you're a good friend to your customers.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 PM
UpBranchLiner

Lack of diesel tech

Old 11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Okso if you read my sig, you will see that I work at a dealership. I want to hear your answers to4 questions:

1. What is your biggest gripe about the service department that you visit.
2. Same question about the parts department.
3. What would be something that you would like to see the service department do or offer you to make your visits more frequent or more pleasant.
4. Same question about the parts department.
I am going to attend a service managers meeting to discuss customers concerns and want to have some idea of what can be done to make your visit to the dealer more appealing.....
Thanks in advance for you answers..........
1. lack of knowledge and the willingness to dig deeper

2. most will charge retail + ....discounted prices can easily be found on the web from dealers working the web. I understand money has to be made but, not retail + !

3. NOT care about mod done to the truck. I see nothing wrong with advising a customer certain things can not be warrantied but, be happy to do any work without whining. Most will see mod and treat you like you have the plague !

4. see #2

David, while I have you... if you happen to see this tonight ( Thursday )... I'd like to come down tomorrow to get my window done. Can you work me in or should I call in the morning ?

Thanks

Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

I thought service and parts were the same dept? Anyways I agree with the guy posting about attitude making all the difference in the world.I've had very little experience dealing with the parts/servc dept at my dealership but when I have they were always professional and nice. They also seem to be diesel oriented and do a lot of work on diesl Rams. I suppose they are one of the rare good ones. Maybe they realize if they don't take care of the customer the customer can go to dodgepartsonline.com. From the sounds of it a lot more of them need to wake up to that reality.

Quick Reply: Questions about dealerships, please post answers...