Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Finally got to pull someone out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:39 PM
speakle
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally got to pull someone out!

Damn, I learned that with rope and my riding mower. I cant imagine how tight that knot must have been with a strap and 7k pound truck!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:40 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

I love pulling people out when they get stuck, I get at least 2 a winter ever since I was 16. The best are the guys that are insanely brand loyal (chevy guys in particular) and think their truck is the best and then can't get up a hill or something. The looks on their faces when I had the old Ford were amazing as it was an 83 and was a farm truck.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Bigriver

Generally speaking.........if you tie a bowline knot, typically it's easy to untie the knot. With a strap I'm not sure, but with rope, a bowline knot will always untie

Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

haha thats awesome..havent got to with the cummins yet..buts thats wher the chain comes in..

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 AM
12vanthony
Rookie

Pullin people out is awesome. I pulled an old timer out late one night last winter and he was a little drunk gave me 30 bucks he was so happy.

I hear ya big river on the bowlineknot. Comes undone every time.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: NCcummins

haha thats awesome..havent got to with the cummins yet..buts thats wher the chain comes in..
chain is Brutal. I prefer straps. however in a pinch I would use dental floss if it would get me out.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM
minex
Veteran

The other day, I saw a Ford Ranger attempting to pull a delivery truck out of a ditch. He couldn't quite do it, but it was entertaining to watch. There was a police officer there stopping traffic to give the Ford Ranger a chance to pull the truck out. I was in my truck too, so I should have pulled over to help, but was in a hurry. Oh well.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

chain is Brutal. I prefer straps. however in a pinch I would use dental floss if it would get me out.
Nothing beats a chain just for a simple pull. (But they are clunky, noisy and heavy.)

If you have to ****** someone our of hole, the recovery strap is the best. It's a nice smooth effort, instead of a bang when you ****** them.

Word of advice, be careful of how/what/where you hook onto your vehicle and always let the owner of the other vehicle hook the strap or chain to their vehicle.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:20 AM
beachmstr

i dont like chains unless they are hooked by someone i know and trust. i dont want to be anywhere near it if it comes undone. likewise i dont want to be near a rope when it breaks. thats where all the sweatshirts and jackets come in handy

Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep a 12' military 1/2 chain in my bed just for this reason. . .Ive pulled three people out of the ditch.

and yes, I know a chain is the worst choice, however if you load it properly* there are no problems.

*I saw someone attempt to ****** someone out of a hole with a chain. . .they started. . .I ran the other direction. . .chain exploded from the shock load.

Quick Reply: Finally got to pull someone out!