Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Finally got to pull someone out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:56 AM
cujo
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally got to pull someone out!

Yeah, I've lost count of the number if times I've seen chains come unhooked or snap and go flying because of improper use, it's scary. I've always been a strap man myself.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
solarwarp
Veteran

To each his own... some just like it rougher than others.

But, which is worse, the turnbuckle flying wildly away or the other persons front bumper flying loose and hitting your tailgate? []

Old 09-30-2007, 12:30 PM
frogslinger
Captain

the turnbuckle is worse...

much the same as getting hit with a bullet is worse than a baseball bat.... both suck of course....

I love pulling people out usually, however a chunk of my life is taken up with being a miliary wrecker operator, and it gets old pulling he cops out of the same mudhole every couple of weeks... worst pulout I ever had to do was when someone else buried our 20 ton wrecker.We had to use a duece and a half and a 10k At forklift to get it out.

Bigget thinkI have pulled out with my personal truck (07 silverado 1500 texas edition) was a civillian wrecker (think it was a 15 ton)... some kids got drunk and drove into through the base fence and down a ravine on base at about 3 A.M. The wrecker got called to pull them out. He stopped at he top of the ravine and towed them o he top with his winches, but could not get traction with the load in the really soupy grass... He would move forward 5 or six feet and then slow to a stop. I used a tow strap attached to a d ring mounted to attachment for my class 4 receiver, and he hooked it to his rcovery hook on the front bumper... the rope was only longenough for me to keep one wheel on the hard surface and i had a little wheel spin when thesecond tire got onto it butI had just enough extra momentum to keep that wreker moving through the spot it was getting stuck at.

Best part was my Col. had been called out and thanked me personally...

Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Chains are bad, Ive seen one break and it scared the **** outa me, I wont be doing that again. Tow straps all the way baby...

Old 09-30-2007, 06:52 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Anything that snaps under extreme loads will take you OUT! I picked up two tow straps rated at 15K each with nice hooks on the the ends at wally world and they have thus far pulled a F350 with trailer up the hill in front of my house, and a ricer up the same hill. Stupid people seem to like to bring their badly running vehicles down to the bottom of a big hill that says DEAD END at the entrance. [:@]Oh well, Big Pete gets to have fun and pull em out.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Mike454
Professional

my dad had a friend pulling out a tractor, with a tractor, with a chain. the chain broke at the 'towee' end, what was left of the hook flung back through the tractor cab and killed him, scary stuff. i keep a 20,000lb strap instead, and i always throw a sweatshirt or something other the rope/chain to direct it down. saved me with my 4wheeler and winch, winch cable snapped and if my shirt wasn't there im sure someone woulda ate it.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

Well, about 3 months ago the brother of my wife came to my house an early sunday telling me he sanked is 12wheeler in sand about 1 mile from my home whit still about half the truck in the street
,so i jumped in my dually cummins 2001 to help him,despite the truck 9800lbs+about 2000lbs tool i carry,i was spinning all my 6 35'x11.5' tires on the DRY asphalt in low 4x4,my truck was hooking than slipping...jumping like a frog and the 12 wheeler was coming about 1 feet each time but falled back when tracting broke down.So we turned back to take the loader to drag him,we arent supposed to drive this thing on the road cuz it have no plates,brake and is about 40years old rusty big thing.When we come by the 12 wheeler,2 cops were standing by the truck to slow traffic,of course we planted orange signs around and some fireburners around,the cops didnt even talked about the loader,they were glad we were able to remove this thing of the road.

(I speak french so dont mind the typoS)
Woligator

Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 PM
buckwill

hi buckkk hereee,,, new guy,,,,, ljsut lookin around,,,, i came upon new forddd crewwcaab dually diesel 4wd,,, truned around in city street,, well edge of city street here in californai high desert,,,, tried truaning a 30 foot travel trailoer and was highcenteredddd froant and rear diff on grader sand at teddge to street, tires in the air idly turnaing and two blocked, trailor to back bumper so coaulnd back down,trailor across street blocked, cops theree stoping travffic,,, i aske if i couald help, sure, had to usee two cahians so i coald readch the pavement, imonly two wheel drive, 92 dual,,,cummins , gale banks, 265 hp 12 v,,one his frainds showed up just as i ws about to get hism back to where he coalds start to pull agian,,,, his fraiend,, ford diesels allso yelled, laughaing,,, ride your brakess,, dont liet that little cummins pujlllu out,, give us ford guys bad name in town,buck

Old 10-05-2007, 12:30 AM
speakle
All Star

Give me an S
Give me a P
Give mea E
Give me2 LL's
Give me a C
Give me a H
Give me an E
Give me a C
Give me a K
Whats that spell???
SPELLCHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Sorry guys but those two posts are some of the most painful reading I think I have ever encountered.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: speakle

Give me an S
Give me a P
Give mea E
Give me2 LL's
Give me a C
Give me a H
Give me an E
Give me a C
Give me a K
Whats that spell???
SPELLCHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Sorry guys but those two posts are some of the most painful reading I think I have ever encountered.
I have a lot of common words that I mispell like I usually type teh as oppose to the. I dont know why my fingers just work that way. (Sharx, Mayfair, Don't even)

Quick Reply: Finally got to pull someone out!