Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

new to cummins, help with maintance please

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 PM
reddodge98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to cummins, help with maintance please

i have just purchased a 2005 dodge ram 2500 cummins, i bought it for $38, 500 and the truck has 75K and is still under warranty, i dont know too much of how to maintain it, i talked to my buddy and he has a 98 cummins and runs like a dream, he let me know to do Valve adjustments, check push rods, engine fuel valves, kill test injector valves, fuel filter change and pressure test for fuel pumps.....
while this truck is still under warranty im not going to be doing much to the engine, i want this truck to last but im also making the truck big like it should be....so if you experts dont mind let mein toa couple tricks of the trade...

Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Default RE: new to cummins, help with maintance please

Check out the FAQ / DIY stickey at the top of the forum... Tons of info there. Welcome to the site and we need pics of your rig dude. Gotta see it. Congrats on your purchase.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

Maintenance isn't hard on the cummins it will just cost a little bit more. You won't regret buying it.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

welcome to df...

Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome to DF. what model did you buy SLT, Laramine, Lone star, Big horn?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:03 PM
handymanherb
Banned

Oh No you didn't get the 2005 yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, now you going to fall in love with it, check the FAQ's and order a quick drain from Geno's so you can do quick and clean oil changes.

Click on the camera under my name on the left side of the page to see more pictures of mine at work and play

Welcome glad to have with the best group at the Dodge Forum, Our trucks have real ***** so we don't have to hang fake one's under the bumper

Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 PM
reddodge98
Rookie

awesome man u guys are wikid, yea i bought the SLT...i wasnt too worried about the leather and all inside i just wanted that cummins, i will take pics of the truck tomorrow and show u guys, i use to have a dodge avenger pretty fast one and then i bought this rig and i could so get used to this power!!! when i seen this truck i had to get it, it was exactly what i was looking for, shortbox, black, and low Ks...
also i forgot to ask u guys i have a tiny lil squeel on the right side of the truck and its a soft lil squeel, cant hear it on smooth roads but when it gets a lil bumpy its always there, maybe rock in rotor???? im bringing it in the dealership on friday to get that checked out and maybe ill tell him to do a valve adjustment??? even tho the truck is running perfect i was told it was really good to do.....what u guys think?? maybe change fuel filter?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts

nope the valve adjustment is not something you want the dealer to do... they will charge you way too much. there is a DIY writeup tacked at the top of the forum in one of the info threads... it is supper easy and does not cost a thing (valve cover gasket is reuseable).

Old 09-25-2007, 11:26 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I would change all filters and fluids, with 75k slam synthetic in diffs, trans case, oil, of course tranny requires synthetic atf4.... I would ask the dealer for a list of everything they did to the truck when they got it.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 PM
reddodge98
Rookie

yea i thought that too....this guy i was talking to has a 98 cummins and takes really good care of it....he gave me a list of the annual maintance and the valve adjustment was one of them....i will call the dealer tomorrow and ask for a list of what they did when they safetied the vehicle b4 the sold it to me...i changed the oil today and i added fuel additive and i can already notice that its running way better....so i will talk to my dealer tomorrow and see what they think, i know a good mechanic there so i will see what he has to say about it.....i mean the truck is running good i dont see why im worrying about it but i just want to run good now, and to keep it like that cuz i know diesels can be expensive to fix....i rather take care and not break it to not fix it....
u guys ever had a lil squeel on the right side of the truck b4?? sounds like its coming from the shock?? springs?? rotors??

thanks guys

Quick Reply: new to cummins, help with maintance please