Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

need advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise

My son 6 year old. is a total brat. I know the parents are responsible and I am trying to correct that. today he hit the sitter. She is a great lady and loves the kids to death. I came home and after she left I open handed spanked his but a couple times, i have only spanked him 3 times in his life and this time Ifeel it was jsutified, I have grounded him from his beloved cartoon network. What else can I do. he isgetting too strong willed. I encourage free thought but there are limits. Any advise would be great

Old 09-27-2007, 01:29 AM
cracker
Rookie
Default RE: need advise

Make him work. Thats how my dad got me to act right. You screw up, you work after school raking leaves or sweeping the drive instead of playing with the boys. Worked for me. I didn't turn out too bad. Good luck. I am no kid expert and totally believe in a *** spankin when a kid screws up, but in this case the first punishment was a spanking. Thats pretty close to what he got in trouble for.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Jimmy, I have 4 children of my own 3 girls and 1 son. It is not easy being their dad and their best friend but you have to be. I try never to yell at then because Im not a drill instructor Im their dad. I make sure when I do spank them that it done in private, Public spankings only embarass a child. I try to make them a part of everything I do, Even working on the truck, cutting grass, etc. You have to remember that you are that you are your boys HERO no matter what in his eyes. My oldest daughter is 17 now and she would rather hang around me and her mom and do what we do than anything else, and man that is a blessing from God these days. And try to remember that it is more fun wanting something often times than getting it. try to screen some of that crap on the cartoons, alot of the rebellion in kids comes straight from them. Turn the TV off and go play with him outside or get him to help change oil in the CTD. Good Luck

Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

Jimmy

we all need to learn to respond vs react to our kids..you reacted. yes it sounds Dr Phil-ish but its works. let me find the info on it and I will get it up here.

example: instead of just yellin "go to your room!" you calmly say " This is not how you act at home , please go to your room, thank you"

a simple please and thank you starting and ending each request is very calming. shows you love and respecr them as kids.

now if the child was very offensive like what you were tlaking about Jimmy, then you tak to them but YOU must come down to there level. physical level that is. neal, or sit on the floor and talk. then you do not come off as OVERLORD when you are looking down from way ^ UP there!!!

yes it all seems like liberal ideology and Dr Philly sheet. It has been proven to work in a lot of places.

I will post the stuff later.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a 7 week old. . .gunna watch this one

Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 AM
speakle
All Star

My son listens to me very well, always has. He is the opposite with my wife if I am not home. I have always yelled if needed andnever hit him(this is useless, demeaning and and can lead to other problems). You need to start taking away the things he loves, from cartoon network to his favorite cereal, one thing at a time. When he has a good day let him know how proud you are of him, lots of hugs of course, after a while of good behavior take him somehwere...a day with dad with ice cream and maybe some time at the arcade or whateve rhe likes. When my son is bad the worst thing I can do to him is let him know I am aggravated and dont care to talk to him right then, this really bothers him, you have to find your ammunition. My son is 6 years old as well, just started first grade. I hate to tell you it will be hard but once they act a certain way it takes some work to get them to undo it. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 AM
cujo
Captain

I agree with what everyone has said so far. I have two grown boys 24 and 20. My advice is teach him respect and manners at an early age, it will be a damn near an impossible task in his teen years. There will be times you have to stop being his best friend and be the bad parent. That's a given. The only thing I would add is NEVER spank or punish while your are angry. If something happens send him to his room to think about his actions and tell him that you will think about his punishment. Then dispense after cooling down. Make the punishment fit the crime. If it's a repeat offense, make the punishment stronger. Best of luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this reminds me of something my supervisor told us.

my supervisorcoachesC league base ball. one of the coaches on another team has a kid that is a bit bigger than his father. for all this kids life he and his wife have used the hands off approach. well. . .many times his wife has had to call the cops in order to pull the son off his father due to fighting. . .sad part is a few of those times he had to go to the hospital. well, my boss was telling us that he witnessed one of these altercations in the parking lot. . .basicaly the dad took the fetal possitionas soon as his son took a shot at him nailing him in the eye. when it was over with it took 3 grown men to pull this brat off of his father and hold him down. the father had a black eye, busted lip, two broken ribs(from the kid kicking him) nice lacerations, and was 'wimpering'.

I tell you that to say this. . .by you disiplining your kid that way you are setting a stage of dominance, which is good. because one day your kid may be bigger than you, however he will know better than to swing at you during a disagreement from ingrained past experiences. However, I would also say that too much would cause resentment and cause the kid to lash out.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 AM
cujo
Captain

To follow up my own post, with something I forgot. Set boundries. Kids that age will start to test them. They will push to see how far they can go, its general nature. Set them and stick to your guns.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Thanks guys. whenever I am not at work I include this guy with everythig I do. Hell I even took him to the meet and greet with Sharx. He ususally listens to me the problem is that I am rarely home as I work 60-75 hours a week and the mom has a fast temper. I see he has no respect for her and it appears to be different with me and him. I have only spanked him 3 times in his life. I usually don't have too as most of the time he acts up when he is tired. yesterday was just too much and this weekend I am going to have a talk with him. he is always in teh garage with me at home when I am in there and always playing with my tools.

Again thanks.

Quick Reply: need advise