Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

FASS or Air Dog

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:01 PM
solarwarp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FASS or Air Dog

I want to get another mod for my truck. I think that I want a FASS or Air Dog.

The benefits are more than just providing "plenty" of fuel, it seems. Increased capacity in filtration and a separate water seperator. Also, both boast some benefit to removing air from the fuel.

Air Dog's filters areoverall shorter and fits better under the framerail of the truck. They both seem to do the same job. Are filters cheaper or over the counter available or are they special made? What is the difference?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 PM
sallyman1
Captain
Default RE: FASS or Air Dog

why does everyone seem to think theres so much air in these systems(especially 3rd gen)?hookup a sight glass on the suction side of the filter and see if theres bubbles and count them.I definitely think the extra filtration is beneficial over the long term but I cant see any performance increases.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:32 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

While I haven't studied long enough to understand it yet... but I think that the air that they are alluding to is not particularly visible, but rather atomized if you will. Air in a compressed fluid system, such as a hydraulic jack or brake system isn't a good thing. Is it bad in our fuel system?

How detrimental to our fuel system is a bit of air? I don't know. I do know that in a high pressure steam setup with steam temps over 850 degrees, water vapor is removed making dry steam to prevent damages to the valve bodies. Does some air in our fuel system act as a "sand blaster"?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

solarwarp, have you done anything with this yet?

I was surfing a bit and found the AirDog for $499 w/ free shipping. I am thinking this may be the way I'm heading.
Does anyone hererun an AirDog?
I guess the owner is the guy who "invented" the system, and the son owns FASS. Kind of a falling out I guess. But with the AirDog $250 less than the FASS, it's hard to ignore.
Any opinions, bitches, gripes or complaints?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'd go with a FASS. I have one, and I love it. Also, it's pretty hard to find someone who isn't happy with their FASS. Usually the only people who bitch about the FASS are bitchin not because of the product, but because of the price.

Check out this video and tell me this guy hasn't done his homework

http://www.fassride.com/video-demonstration.html

The storyifI have it right is that the owner of FASS's father stole his idea and opened up a company called Air Dog. I also believe he just lost a case in court because of it.All rumors of course, but if any of it is true the guy is scum in my book and not worth a nickel.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:16 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

Nope, I haven't bought either one yet.

But, the story of the father-son as I understand, was that they were in business together 10-12 years ago. The son wanted to go a different direction from the father so he started his own business. The father filed the lawsuit accusing the son of stealing the father's patent for removing air from the fuel.

The judge ruled that the son's system was enough different thatthere was no patent infringement by the son on the father's patent. So, in essence the son won. But in my book, since they are father-son... they both lost.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: solarwarp

But in my book, since they are father-son... they both lost.
Agreed .....

Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

Ditto.

I think the systems are more alike than not, but what I have read is that the AirDog comes with a 3 micron Fleetguard filter (rebadged to say AirDog) and the FASS comes with a 7 micron Fleetguard filter.
Is this correct or am I misreading something?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Mayfair
Legend

You may be right, but if you can't get it right now, there will be a 3 mic available for the FASS. I think it's out already, I'm just not sure. In all honestly though, I think a 7 is probably fine.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Do autopartstorescarry replacement filters for these systems? I change my fuel filter about every 2k miles. I have been planning on just purchasing a replacement pump when i upgrade my system because I fear that the filters will be too expensive and hard to get find. Do you stop using the stock filter when you install these filtration systems? Sorry, I figured I would ask since yall are on topic. Thanks

Quick Reply: FASS or Air Dog