Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

just ordered

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:52 PM
MAB_CTD_4X4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: just ordered

Don't get me wrong I love my truck because of the 6-speed auto trans and the power it has even being stock. As for as the fuel mileage it's no better than my gasser but the power makes up for that.... The funny thing is the harder I drive my truck around town meaning getting on it from red lights and such it seems to get better mileage than letting it lug. I'm going to try down shifting to fifth or maybe fourth when driving around town under 45mph and see if that chages it any.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
2008cummings
Professional

mab your mpg from the tires etc...? I did not want to get much higher then the gasser 1500 but wanted like 14 city-15 and 18-20 hwy

Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I wasn't trying to be a smart azz or anything. And not trying to put a damper on your new purchase. Other than the fuel economy, you are going to enjoy your new truck. The 6.7 actually drives smoother and has a little more pep off the line than the 5.9L.
You asked what to expect and we are just trying to answer your question. Most of these guys who are speaking up for you, have been long time CTD owners and a lot of them know the Cummins engines inside and out. This place is without a doubt the best source for information on your new Cummins.
I know you haven't heard what you wanted to hear so far but in the end your still getting the best 2008 deisel on the market. Just not going to produce the economy and performance of it's older brother the 5.9L. And thats all due to the tightened restrictions put on 2007.5 to pressent deisel emmisions laws.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

We have some more 6.7 members on here, I forget who they are tho.... try reading other threads and looking at signatures and then PM them to check out this thread to get their opinions as well. I have heard many praises and complaints. Personally I went with the 5.9 while I still had the choice becauseI knew with every new thing there will be growing pains. With the 5.9 its proven, done deal.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
2008cummings
Professional

I understand go with proven technology with the 5.9 but cummins is cummins and they would not put out crap. I figured not as good with mpg but down the line probally get a module to increase the mpg.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

The 6.7 guys will be on later tonight...just wait they will find this don't worry....

Like I said it was a great truck...it just didn't fit our needs the way my 5.9 did....so it went back.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Frogger, where did you get your jake for that rig? Did it come installed or dealership option. It was my understanding they only come standard on 6.7's? Also need a pic of your jeep too....

Old 11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

Even the 5.9s didn't get those numbers when they were brand new. It takes 20K miles of towing to break one in.
I have a feeling that a lot of people with the 6.7s are driving them around town and never really working them hard enough to get the EGTs high enough to help KEEP the DPF clean. Driving around town is a sure way to plug it up because the EGTS never get hot enough for a long enough period of time, so it has to dump fuel to regenerate. If you were towing heavy, the EGTs would be high enough on their own to do the job without extra fuel.
The other problem is DC has has a some issues with the programming for the regen, at first they weren't regenerating at all and plugging up the DPF until they died, now they are just working on getting the software right so they regen without killing the mileage.

Face it, the 6.7s have only been on the market since January. The highest mileage I've heard of on one thus far is about 35K. That is just barely broken in. I think we'll have to wait another year to come to any real conclusions.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
2008cummings
Professional

Good point superdave I always see mpg getting better as milaege increases. I assume the same for the 6.7s

Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

You bought a good truck so don't worry about your purchase. You cannot buy a new 5.9 anymore (most likely there aren't many) so you definately got the best diesel truck you can buy in 2008. My buddies 03 5.9 gets better MPG than my 06, but that's no reason for me to have bought an 03 compared to my 06. I love my truck and I know that I made the right decision for me. When I bought my 06 I was getting between 14-16 MPG highway and now I get 19 all day long and 21-23 on long highway trips (hand calculated).

Quick Reply: just ordered