Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

OT.....SON OF A BI#@$ its fixed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT.....SON OF A BI#@$ its fixed

I was just browsing through the forum and my laptop just shut off. After checking power, I turned it back on. It went through the bios just fine and wouldn't load into windows. I hear a tick, tick, tick.......tick, tick, tick.....ect. I think one head crashed on my hard drive.
Does anyone know of a way to hook up a laptop hard drive to a desktop? I want to see if I can pull some info off my laptop. (mainly tax info....I already had stuff started for 07). I have just about everything else backed up. I have put bad HDD's in other working desktops before and been able to pull info off the good head (no smart *** remarks).
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Default RE: OT.....SON OF A BI#@!

yuppers there are adapters that you can plug the laptop hdd in.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...&sku=17705

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...&sku=39994

good luck!

Old 12-23-2007, 03:32 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Thanks,
I just wanted to know if they made such a cable.
I hope my boss can help me out. I work for a computer place. I do installs of high powered wireless network antennas during the winter. It's uses cell towers (different antennas than what cell phones use) and another high powered transceiver at the house. We can go about 10-15 miles depending on the system we are using. It gives rural customers access to high speed internet. The biggest limitation is that we need a clear line of site from the antenna to the tower.
Hopefully Dan has a cable I can borrow. Just sucks that I don't work again till Wednesday.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

have ya tried rebooting with a recovery disk?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:22 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

did you ever back up the computer? if you did you have all your stuff right on some CDs...

Old 12-23-2007, 04:36 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

I've built computers from scratch....I've tried everytrick I know to get it to boot. It is making the same sound that I was hearing over the summer when a friend and a nephew had hard drives crash. My website is on there, I should be able to pull that off the server it is hosted on. My tax stuff for 07, the dodge service manual, and a couple other little things are all that I don't have backed up. I hook my laptop to my router (hardwire) and backup most of my stuff on the desktop in the basement. It was just getting to be time to do that again.[:@] I just though to myself a week ago, "mmm....my laptop is 5.5 years old, it has been on almost that whole time......I'm surprized that my hard drive hasn't crashed yet." I guess I should have listened to my gut and backed everything up then.[:'(]
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-23-2007, 04:41 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

damn...man that sucks...

Old 12-23-2007, 05:01 PM
CamperAndy
Rookie

Crashed heads are not good. You can try installing the drive into an external USB drive case but it will not help if the head or head drive is dead. Data recovery is in the range of $5 to $15 a MB so not something cheap to do.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the HD in the freezer for about 2-3 hrs to get it good and cold. . .slap it in while cold and start it up and see if that may work.

Ive used this trick in the past for HD's that wouldnt spin up. I dont know if it will help the armeture.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:53 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Good news

I ran to work this morning a picked up an adapter for my laptop HDD so that I could plug it into an IDE cable. I was able to pull everything I wanted off of it. [sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]I can pull up everything off the HDD on my desktop. So.....I'm not sure what exactly is going on here. If its my hard drive or the motherboard in my laptop. I was planning on geting a new laptop this Spring or Summer but, I think I'm going to get one after the first of the year. I already know what I want
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: OT.....SON OF A BI#@$ its fixed