Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New guy, needs some help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:29 PM
cmtrue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, needs some help please!

Hey guys, new guy here... I got big problems with my truck. It’s a 05’ 2500 Cummins it’s got a BD chip, intake, exhaust, wheels/tires and a leveling kit. So heres the deal... My girlfriends was out driving it, she ran out of diesel and so I ran here some diesel(5 gallons) thinking that everything would be ok, it wasn’t. I tried resetting that battery and giving it a jump and nothing worked, so I ended up calling a tow because it wouldn’t start. When we were putting it up on the tow truck I noticed that the serpentine belt had fallen off the pulleys, wasn’t broken or split it was just hanging there. So simple fix right, take it to the dealer and have them put the belt on? Wrong, I took it to the dealer and the first thing they tell me is that I’m out of diesel, I was irate I just put 5 gallons in it and the gauge said I had 45 miles, keep in mind that they haven’t tried putting the belt on yet. So I ran and got more diesel, put it in and then they tried to start it, it almost gets there but doesn’t make it all the way, so I wait all day for them to scan it and do w/e they do (nothing) so around 5:30 they come tell me that they are going to need it until at least Monday, it sounds like I have no compression in the engine etc! I’m flipping out at this point because they still haven’t put the belt back on, my g/f make the mistake of leaving the Bully Dog box in the cab and they asked me if I had chipped it or anything... ouch! Yes, I told him I put it back to stock and checked for codes before it went in. Didn’t have any codes so I don’t see how I could have lost compression and not throw a code?? The truck has never been ran hard, it is driven a lot but not hard and much city driving its a 05' with 69,8-- all the tune ups and oil changes have been on time and it ran perfect before she ran it out of gas and the belt came off! So I don’t know what to do, could running it out of diesel cause a loss of compression? Anything you have for me will be helpful guys, Thank you!

Thanks
Corey

Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: New guy, needs some help please!

Definatley not compression if it ran fine when it died (unless it threw the belt and overheated) but it should still start. The lift pump could have gone out and that could be the reason it wont start.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

lack of fuel will destroy the injector pump.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:48 PM
cmtrue

Man you guys are fast![sm=smiley20.gif] Thansk for the help, she said it didnt over heat or anything... I mean a loss of compression can be like 1of5 things and none of them can really be caused by loss of fuel can they?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I hate to say it but, I would find another dealer. Unless I am mistaken, the waterpump is driven by the serp belt. I am not sure I would want them to crank it without the waterpump pumping. It really sounds like they have no clue. I have never seen a CTD just lose compression. When a diesel runs out of fuel, it can be hard to restart. Try turning on the key and listen for the transfer pump to work. If its working, turn the key off and then back on a few times to "prime" the fuel system. Do not use starter fluid. I have seen people use wd-40 to help CTD's crank after running out of fuel. Ask the dealer what they do to prime the system after they change a fuel filter....

Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
burban2002
Veteran

I thought the cp pumps were safe if you ran out of fuel because it was lubricated by engine oil

Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 PM
cmtrue

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service
Man I hate to say it but, I would find another dealer. Unless I am mistaken, the waterpump is driven by the serp belt. I am not sure I would want them to crank it without the waterpump pumping. It really sounds like they have no clue. I have never seen a CTD just lose compression. When a diesel runs out of fuel, it can be hard to restart. Try turning on the key and listen for the transfer pump to work. If its working, turn the key off and then back on a few times to "prime" the fuel system. Do not use starter fluid. I have seen people use wd-40 to help CTD's crank after running out of fuel. Ask the dealer what they do to prime the system after they change a fuel filter....
Yeah, I never thought of that... that cant be good! I have a friend who works at my local 4wheel parts and he said once they run out of fuel they sometimes require a jump but other than that it should be fine. The dude at the dealer said he sprayed something in there, I think he said silicone but I have no clue why he would spray silicone trying to get it to start? Idk, it sounds like im going to get worked on this one.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you can get fuel to the CP3, she'll fire. . .run VERY rough for a little bit, but she'll run.

the CP3 is not as bad about dieing as the VP44. you can run it out of fuel without much damage since it is certified to run on the ULSD fuel we have today.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 100's of trucks on the lot and many, many customers, I see a lot of CTD's run out of fuel and I have never seen 1 need a new pump just from running out of fuel. I do see them very hard to start after running out.....Good luck....DAVID

Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 PM
JR 06
Professional

An easy way to tell if an engine has lost that much compression is to listen to it while cranking, if it sounds like the starter doesn't even have to really try to spin the motor then thats the taletell sign of it. But unless it was overheated, the loss of compression is highly unlikely. Like parts/service said, you should prime the fuel system by turning the key on and off a few times, thats how we do it on the powerstrokes-and thats usually after replacing the pump and/or injectors on it!