Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Thinking of buying....have several questions. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of buying....have several questions. Please Help.

ORIGINAL: dwilliamsceg

Why did you get rid of it (I really want to know)?
Hopefully frog does not mind me saying. They had 2 CTD's and they could not justify owning two, so they traded one for a jeep

Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

JR nailed it on the head...we have an 06 5.9 & an 07 6.7. I was being stubborn (yeah I know a stubborn woman go figure ) and wouldn't give the keys to the 5.9 back to the hubby so he bought the 6.7. We don't tow that much...we don't have a horse trailer...we don't hot shot...so there was just no reason to have two 1 ton trucks in the driveway. (even if it did look really cool ) So the 6.7 went back to the dealer and I got a Jeep to drive. I get the CTD on weekends now [&:]

The mileage was a bit low on the 6.7 but I think if we'd broken it in more the mileage would have picked up a bit. Seems the auto's get better mileage.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 AM
sabersix

I highly recommend you test drive the new six speed automatic. I have driven a Jeep stick for 20+ years, so I thought I wanted a manual shift until I drove the auto. If you do go with the manual, I'd check out the 3.42 gear option which will bring your cruise RPMs and help your mileage.

The 6.7L is a beast. Gobs of power. There have been some issues for the 07.5s with turbos and emissions, but those problems seem to be solved. I haven't heard many reports of problems with the 08s. I've only had one CEL in 10K miles which resulted in a turbo replacement. No problems now for over 5000 miles.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Bill DeByker

Hi, I ordered my 08 Ram on 22 Oct and it was built and sitting on the ship at VeraCruz,MXsince 13 Nov, finally arrived at the Port of Tampa on 26 Dec and the shipping co lost it till 7 Jan. Talk about waiting this was ridiculous 77 days since ordered. Well, the truck is all we could ask for. The wife loves to drive it. We just sold our 97 F250 4wd 7.3 with 188,000 miles on it and we could not havebeen happier. There is a world of difference. It is like driving a large SUV. Take care everyone.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Hey Bill welcome to the DF!! ....one word of warning though...don't let the guys know you let your wife drive the truck I stole the keys from my hubby & they still don't let him live it down Once she gets behind the wheel you'll never get it back

Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dwilliamsceg

ORIGINAL: Super Dave

I don't think we have many 08 owners here yet, but there are a few 6.7 guys around. I haven't heard of anybody getting the manual on the 6.7s, but I have no reason to think that there is anything wrong with the manual. The 6 speed auto and built in exhaust brake are a great combo.
SD - are you mil, GS, or a contractor at Hill? I work at Langley.
I'm AD. I work on the flightline and have the constant ringing in my ears to show for it

Old 01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
2008cummings
Professional

love my new 08 6.7 went with the auto. so smooth and glad did not go with the manual..

only about 1000 miles now and will be going on long trip in a week or two will let everyone know about mpg etc...

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying....have several questions. Please Help.