Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Thinking of buying....have several questions. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 PM
dwilliamsceg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying....have several questions. Please Help.

Hello-

New poster. Ford guy looking at buying a new diesel and the 6.4 Ford has had too many problems....now looking at Dodges.

Anyways, I found a nice 2008 6.7, 4wd with a 6 speed manual transmission. I have always wanted a manual tranny with a big diesel and the Ram does not disapoint.

My questions are:

-Why is the HP and tourque lower for the 6sp manual than for the auto?
-What is the opinion of the manual tranny?
-What is the overall opinion of the 6.7? I cannot find much bad press on it.

Thanks guys!!

Dave.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 PM
dwilliamsceg
Default RE: Thinking of buying....have several questions. Please Help.

ttt

Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

There are plenty of members running the 6.7 CTD. Just be patient and one of them will chime in.

The 6.7 is the way to go. The new Fords are not that impressive. My buddy's 6.4 blew up at only 6,000 miles. He got a new engine and has had problems since.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Well I am no expert, these guys will be able to fill you in much better. I believe the HP ratings for the manual transmission are lower for longevity purposes, and the fact that you lose less power through a MTX than an ATX. From what I have read, the new 6spd manual is an overall pretty good transmission. The 6.7 has mixed opinions. It is a cummins, so you know it has a certain level of quality, there have been no major issues, a couple of turbos replaced under warranty, lower gas mileage then the 5.9, and some mixed emission problems. Again nothing major. Just like the ford, it is a new engine and will have some bugs, but it seems most of them have been worked out.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

I don't think we have many 08 owners here yet, but there are a few 6.7 guys around. I haven't heard of anybody getting the manual on the 6.7s, but I have no reason to think that there is anything wrong with the manual. The 6 speed auto and built in exhaust brake are a great combo.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 PM
dwilliamsceg

Cool. I figured the specs were lower for the manual because you lose so much with the auto that this is how they may even it out. I have really been dreaming of getting a manual with all of that power.

I drove one today and it is unbelievable. Amazing amounts of power. True story - I kept starting in 3rd gear by accident due to how the tranny shifter is positioned. It actually felt fine. When I figure out where 1st gear was, I could not believe it. It is super super low. When I dropped the xfer case into low4 and then put it in first, it was ridiculous.

I currently have a v10 F250 and love the truck but it is 2wd and an auto. I looked at Ford's first but I have read so much about their problems with the new motor that I have been scared away.

Does anyone here actually have a manual with a 6.7?

D.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
dwilliamsceg

ORIGINAL: Super Dave

I don't think we have many 08 owners here yet, but there are a few 6.7 guys around. I haven't heard of anybody getting the manual on the 6.7s, but I have no reason to think that there is anything wrong with the manual. The 6 speed auto and built in exhaust brake are a great combo.
SD - are you mil, GS, or a contractor at Hill? I work at Langley.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

We has a manual 6.7 for a while (long story really you don't want to know). We didn't have any of the emission problems with it or anything; there was nothing wrong with the truck. I will tell you the clutch on that thing weights a TON!! 1st gear isn't even marked 1st...it's Low. Never used it; even towing the 5th wheel it was useless.

There is plenty of "bad press" on the 07 6.7's. They had a ton of issues with the DPF's and such. Most of the guys who have 07 1/2 or 08's and are current on their flashes are doing just fine.

As for power...don't think you'll find a limit of the power the 6.7 puts out There is plenty on tap. I haven't seen one on a dyno yet though.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Mayfair
Legend

The only think I can really remember being kinda problematic was they kept going into regen mode. Once the dealer refalshed it though it seemed to fix the problem just fine. I honestly haven't heard of any problems other than that that I can think of. I think you'll be just fine.

Welcome aboard !!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
dwilliamsceg

Why did you get rid of it (I really want to know)?

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying....have several questions. Please Help.