Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

HELP, about to buy a new truck!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP, about to buy a new truck!!

my uncle has a new 6.4 and i drove it long before i had my new truck i was still stuck in a 4.7 gasser that was slow as hell, and even that felt fast compared to the 6.4. the brakes on the truck SUCKED, i actually ran a stop sign because the brake was almost on the floor and i wasnt slowing down at all.i just rolled right through it.did i mention it was in a neighborhood and i was only going 30 when i tried to stop? it has almost no low end power that a diesel should have and he has had it in the shop so many times it aint even funny.

i have a new 6.7 that i have had to bring to the dealer once for a recall for something so minor i dont even remember what it was, but i do remember that it was just as simple as them hookin it up to a computer and reflashing it and then i was good to go. and dont even get me started on the exhaust brake on these trucks. its friggin awesome. i love it so much that when i first got it i would find myself speeding up above the speed limit just so i could hear the brake kick on when i let off. it feels way more powerful than the ford, looks way meaner, and doesnt have the retarded looking tail pipes that you cant remove without voiding warranty.

trust me, you wont be unhappy with the new cummins.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
soniclm
Professional

I just had to point out that BK2008 called the cummins a "cummings", I thought I had seen somewhere on here before that some brought this up that someone else did it.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
BK2008

Yeah that's real mature, make fun of a guy who is just starting to get intrested in diesel trucks. Sorry for my lack of knowlege. Just know one thing, In three weeks when I get what ever I get....It will look better than your ride, it will run better than your ride, and it will pull more than your ride!! The whole reason for thisthread was to get some positive feedback on "CUMMINS" engines and I did (not from you). I think the Ford is out of the picture, now the Duramax and Cummins are all that's left!

By the way Mayfair, those pictures are freakin hilarious!!

Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian. . .this is probably the best advice I can give. . .go over to The Diesel Stop, and all the chevy forums and do a little reading up on the issues the duramax is or is not having. . .if you ask me, for the short time it has been on the market it is a pretty decient engine.

then head over to Turbo Diesel Register, Cummins Forum, Diesel Ram, and look at the issues revolving around the Cummins.

No matter where you go you will have people steering you twards the one THEY want you to have. but if you do anonomyous research on the problems, and common problems the vehicles have that should tell you what to expect.

I Love my truck, and I also have a toyota road burner, but I've been procrastinating on fixing the yoda cause Ive been enjoying beasty soo much

Old 01-25-2008, 08:13 PM
BK2008

Jr. John & Drew, thanks for all the help! You guys have had some real good info. I think I'm just gonna buy an 2008 GMC 2500 and put a cummins (5.9L) in it cause I really like the dodge motor but don't care for the styling inside or out, unless it's a mega cab with the right set of rims on it and that is gonna be real hard to find. Although the GMCdesperately needs a wheel and tire upgrade as well!! Ahh hell, maybe I'll just wait for the 09 Dodge 2500. Hopefully they'll have some of the bugs worked out with the emissions/check engine lightcrap. That's assuming the 09 will come out with 6.7L, right??

Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Thanks for the info, what about the 2008 Duramax? Any known problems with those?
Don't forget the crappy aluminum heads they use. Get that engine good and hot and you'll warp a head.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:16 AM
al5608
Professional

Read any of the new issuess of Truck Trend, Motor Trend, Consumer Reports, and any other magazines that test new vehicles. The Duramax always comes in first, by a landslide. Powerstroke second, and Cummims, well............ Get the picture. From what I have been reading lately, and after talking with some people, the Cummins is not the fuel misor motor it use to be. Look's like the Duramax is getting better milage unloaded and loaded now. Just my .02 But, it's still a Cummins, and that seems to be what most people want.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:45 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Quick Reply: HELP, about to buy a new truck!!