Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing upgrades; need recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:12 AM
xecutivenetworks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Towing upgrades; need recommendations.

Here is a couple of ram pics you have been asking for... salty right now... but It's what i could do on short notice...

I guess the exhaust brake will solve my front wheel brake problem as long as I'm in 2wd... exhaust brake will only slow rear wheels...

BTW... what does EGT stand for??? []

Thanks for all the good advice.

[IMG]local://upfiles/82539/E86944F5421648D49016C9BD42A2B5DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/82539/2507F2A6D6FA4C439AAB39D2222E1ED1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-26-2008, 06:30 AM
SpLaT
Captain

EGT = Exhaust Gas tempature

Too high a tempature for extended runs may result in damage to pistons (you will melt them!). If..err when you decide on a programmer make sure you set it to "tow" when towing, the tow modes run less fuel resulting in cooler EGTs, or simply run stock setting. But before you install a programmer you ought to installl some gauges, like EGT (pre-turbo), boost gauge and fuel pressure, to aid in monitoring your engine. Then add cold air intake, open the exhaust ....hell just get ready to spend lots of money... it never stops!!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 AM
lesimon
Professional

1) I have read lots of good reviews on the Prodigy Brake Controler and would recommend it.
2) I would recomend Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge aslo
3) I would recomend Transmission Temperature gauge,( apparently or trucks come with a transmission temperature hi temp lamp, but damage would have already occured before the lamp comes on)
4) The automatic front brake limiter on tracktor trailer units works on air, (air brakes), I dont think that it would work for hydralics, and I dont think that I have ever seen anything of the sort for our trucks. A new brake controler and engine brake should definately help out with this problem.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:17 PM
dasnake
Veteran

hey x, welcome to the forum from a relative newby. i have an '07 5.9, with a 48re, drw with a longbox, i've had it for a year and have upgrading for towing since i bought it. i have been adding bling, but i also have been adding improvements to aid in towing a 38' fiver. i have the jake on now, i changed my gearing, added air springs, i also put four gauges in the cab, tranny temp, boost gauge, pyro, and fuel pressure. i am not adding a power boost until my warranty is up, i know some say the dealer will never know but i don't know for sure and the power train warranty is to dear to lose. we have an rv show next weekend and i am looking for a great fiver hitch, and looking at a comparison between the prodigy and the brakesmart, if the brakesmart is available up here i will get it, that's about all i can put together for you, i'm new to both cummins and towing, enjoy and take care.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:47 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

nice rig ya got there!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
xecutivenetworks

You too Nick!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah those running boards that run all the way to the back I normally don't like ( I had them and took them off ), but for some reason they look really good on your Ram.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Horseman
Rookie

The exhaust brake is a great item, I use all the time, but when I'm towing my horses, 11 to 12 K down a 6 percent grade, 5th gear, will hold at 55 to 60. Will really save your truck brakes.Not a good idea to use it on slick roads, it'll swap ends, EGT's pre turbo keep at or under 1300, turbo fan blades will melt and thats just the beginning.

Quick Reply: Towing upgrades; need recommendations.