Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing upgrades; need recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
xecutivenetworks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing upgrades; need recommendations.

I’ve had my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 dually diesel for over a year now. As you can imagine this truck can really move some weight right out of the factory. Other than the addition of a mid mount hitch, front mount hitch, and receiver winch, most of my changes have been cosmetic.
A big day for my truck includes hauling 6 tons of horses and trailer (bumper pull), and about 1.5 tons of carriage, hitch wagon and equipment taken on long trips. (I love the class IV hitch being built in!)
The truck handles this task very well. I would however like some additional upgrades and I could use some recommendations.

More power for hills. A plug in module that can be dialed up and down on the fly would be ideal. I saw one once in a 2001 dodge.
A friendlier electric brake controller. My farm and fleet version can be very grabby on the trailer brakes even when I dial it down.
Jake brake / Exhaust brake. Any thoughts?
Brighter Headlights/bright lights… combo?
Upgraded / brighter cargo light that would fit in the factory housing.
Front wheel brake adjusters. Under certain slippery conditions It would be useful to minimize power to the front brakes. At present I just increase the trailer brake power (so the trailer drags slightly and truck stops very straight in snow and ice). Some Heavy tractors have no front or disable-able front brakes and the driver uses the trailer brakehandle instead of the tractor brakes… any thoughts?[/ol]

Thanks all….

[IMG]local://upfiles/82539/10D4B175D2004670A7B0D5B3446B6EAB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/82539/7C04C78ED7B5444E8E57463B0B84FFD9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Towing upgrades; need recommendations.

ORIGINAL: xecutivenetworks

I could use some recommendations.

More power for hills. A plug in module that can be dialed up and down on the fly would be ideal.

I use and really like my Edge programmer. They go from basic, to extreme. Check em out here.

A friendlier electric brake controller. My farm and fleet version can be very grabby on the trailer brakes even when I dial it down.

Can't help you here

Jake brake / Exhaust brake. Any thoughts?

HIGHLY reccomended, especially if you tow a lot. Having one of these installed will probably take care of your other braking issues as well.

Brighter Headlights/bright lights… combo?

GENO'S sells a box that once wired in will leave your low beams on when you click on your high beams. Currently when you switch your high beams on, the low beam goes off. You'lll notice it when yo switch over and your lights get brighter just before they click to high. THATS when both lights are on at the same time

Upgraded / brighter cargo light that would fit in the factory housing.

No clue

Front wheel brake adjusters. Under certain slippery conditions It would be useful to minimize power to the front brakes. At present I just increase the trailer brake power (so the trailer drags slightly and truck stops very straight in snow and ice). Some Heavy tractors have no front or disable-able front brakes and the driver uses the trailer brakehandle instead of the tractor brakes… any thoughts?
[ol][/ol]
Having a Jakebrake may helpwith this

THAT is badd azz !!

Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Thats onebeautiful carriage!!

There are as many opinions as there are CTDs... If one is going to a programmer or box a larger turbo is going to help. Programmers/boxes add fuel, with some adding timing... so one is going to need to pump more air. IMHOa bigger turbo will add more air which is needed with the extra fuel and as a added benefit will help reduce EGTs. A Phat Shaft 62 will do best when it comes to those who tow regularly, as its good for around 400hp+/- still easy on the tranny.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
xecutivenetworks

Thank you MayFair...

I'll check out the Geno's and Edge link right away...
I've had an exhaust brake before... It was outstanding in dry weather, medium in wet weather.

Looks like I'm still looking for ...

upgraded electric brake controller
more front brake control
bright cargo light

By the way, don't think that I can't stop, I would just like more control if possible.

THANKS.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
xecutivenetworks

SpLat

I like the idea of more air and more turbo, I think I need to increase fuel with the turbo or I won't get any more hp. I guess that's what the "phat" helps me with huh? I will look up phat as well. If anyone has more suggestions please try to indicate specificaly what make or site a part comes from.If you have a favorite vendor I would love to check them out!

Thanks all...

Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Mayfair
Legend

OK, we've seen pics of the horse, and we've seen pics of the buggy, but where are the pics of the RAM ?!?!?

Old 01-25-2008, 05:20 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

If you add a programmer you are going to have an issue with EGTs while towing that much weight. I'd suggest getting an EGT gauge if you go with a programmer or chip. Then plan on getting a cold air intake to help with the EGTs.

Get the exhaust brake!!! If I were limited to only one acessory on my truck, I would choose the exhaust brake. It will solve most of your braking problems. Unless you go with a Brakesmart controller, your trailer brakes are gonna be grabby. I haven't found one that works well at all. I have a Brakesmart on my wish list.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exhaust brake, and a edge box will do you well. . .BTW, splat, I'm pushing over 400hp to the wheels on my stock turbo

Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I hear ya Drew, but what are your EGTs when pullin 12 to 15k lbs up a6 or 8% grade while trying to hold 60-65mph at your 400hp settings?When using your tuck to pull heavy loads you have to agree EGT are a major concern.With straight through exhaust sans areo muffler, CAI, Blade runner arc, ATS 2piece exhaust, Diablosport programmer set on tow mode,withpredator fuel module off,pulling my 12k lb TT through the Canadian Rockies I can easily reach 1500deg pre- turbo, trying to run at 60-65mph.With the programmeradding more fuel,my truck is running hotter, with the addition of a turbo like thePhat 62 I can get the additional air to go with the aditional fuel to keep my EGTs down and still enjoy the added power from the programmer. Just MHO.

Or one could add a water/meth injection system, use it when EGTs are getting there?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:07 AM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

im with everyone else but ide like to add maybe considering getting exhaust.... if your going to be adding and kind of power and you want to keep your egt's low then free flowing exhaust would be a big benefit... the stock set up is VERY restrictive!

.......nice horse, and BEAUTIFUL carriage but how bout some pictures of the truck!!!!!

Quick Reply: Towing upgrades; need recommendations.