Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What to do if EGTS are over 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:25 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain
Default What to do if EGTS are over 1500?

Its me again. I am puzzled still as to why my truck sees egts as high as 1500. (even on stock level 0). I am running a edge juice attitude with hot unlock, ****** Whistler intake (amsoil eaau6080), Factory 4" exhaust with cat and stock muffler deleted. I do have a aero4040xl where the old cat was though but still my exhaust should be pretty str8 threw.? right? I only set egt alarm off when i mash pedal or hold it to floor for 4 seconds or more. Level 6 (hot) I can only hold pedal for 3 seconds before alarm goes off.Is it just the way these digital egt gauges read? maybe I need a analog one as well because its not as jumpy?

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:39 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: What to do if EGTS are over 1500?

if I'm not mistaken, you have basically a stock truck. The things you've done are great but, not enough to keep the truck cool. You're always going to see those high EGT's whether you've done more or not. It's the nature of the beast. My engine is built from the ground up and I still see high EGT's.

If you want to lower them, you're going to have to put a larger turbo on. With a larger turbo comes larger injectors, with larger injectors comes a aftermarket lift pump. All will help but can also increases the EGT's again.

My advice to you is to not run your truck at WOT and to cut back the tuning with the Edge. If you don't, you're going to start melting things. The Edge is probably a bi part of the problem too. The added pressure, fuel and timing is going to make the truck runs hotter

There's a lot more to these trucks than installing a exhaust and air filter. Finding the sweet spot can be very expensive and hard to do. It takes a lot of testing with different products to find the correct setup. To really cool your truck down, these would help....

intercooler, larger turbo, correct injectors. You could also add water injection to help.

remember..... aluminum starts to melt at 1250F. The pistons can handle that and more for a short time but, do it too much and you'll be having a melt down !

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:45 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain

whats a short time? like 5 seconds?

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:45 AM
triton
Record Breaker

btw... seeing your post at the other forum

you need to go to the dealer to see if there something loaded in the ECM. If there is, maybe a flash could clear it. From what I was told though.... if there is no flash available from D/C for your truck... it can't be flashed.

Another option is to get rid of the Edge and get a Smarty ( a smart move IMO ). It will load the most current D/C firmware into your truck.

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:46 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain

how much are these smartys? also if im hitting this on level 0 then there are 4,000,000 stock trucks that hit high egts to everyday. Because when i go on level 0 (stock)i still see 1400 egts on the attitude.

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:53 AM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sallyman1

whats a short time? like 5 seconds?
yeah... 5 to 10 seconds but, just know during that time your cylinder walls are probably starting to glow !

Drive pressure is the key to lowering EGT's. You want to have as much air coming in as going out. The stock turbo isn't the most efficient when is under a big load like WOT. You've opened up the intake side of things but, your turbo is a big restriction on the outlet side of things. To much drive pressure is also what will melt your pistons. The cylinders can only take so much heat saturation before bad things happen.

The question really is..... what are you trying to do ? What kind of hp are you looking for ? do you use your truck for towing, daliy driving, racing, sled pulling ? All these are factors in building your truck. If you don't figure that out first... you'll be spending money the wrong way and may have to spend it all over again.

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:59 AM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sallyman1

how much are these smartys? also if im hitting this on level 0 then there are 4,000,000 stock trucks that hit high egts to everyday. Because when i go on level 0 (stock)i still see 1400 egts on the attitude.
This is true but, most don't drive around at WOT. It's ok to see higher temps but, only for short bursts. The newer model trucks also run hotter than your truck so you can base you'r findings on what everyone else sees. Each truck reacts differently to the same mods.

I'm sure you've read or seen all the posts about the smarty over at DTR. My advice to you is to start reading as much as you can about EGT, drive pressure...etc. You could read for weeks without ever posting a question and end up knowing more than many that would answer your question.

The smarty is a great box and if you really want more power, it's the way to go. You'll wonder why you ever used the Edge in the first place. The smarty is solely a downloader though and you won't have your safety features the Edge does. IMO, your safety feature should be yourself though.

Old 02-03-2008 | 11:12 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain

true. thanks. i just wanted extra HP and wanted a bit more power to tow my 34 foot TT. it weighs about 10,000 lbs. Ill probably use the edge on level 2 tow.

Old 02-03-2008 | 11:17 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Sal, how many miles does your truck have on it now? Im thinking you have all the power you need pulling 10k.

Old 02-03-2008 | 12:26 PM
sallyman1
|
Captain

i have 200,000 km on it now. km has nothing do with power?

Quick Reply: What to do if EGTS are over 1500?