Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Remember the Oil running out Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remember the Oil running out Thread?

Ok a while back we had a somewhat controversial thread going about Oil running out in the not so distant future. Well not to beat a dead horse but you have got to watch this clip.
Smoke em while ya got em!!!!
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...ef=videosearch

Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Default RE: Remember the Oil running out Thread?

I'll trade my CTD for one of these. 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. 220 miles per chanrge at a cost of 2 cents per mile.

I'll have a bank of solar panels in my yard and get the cost down to 0 cents per mile, unless it is cloudy.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 PM
handymanherb
Banned

I willwait for them to make a truck that fast, but that is going in the direction we need to be going, so we can tell them where to put the oil

Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 AM
SpLaT
Captain

One has to remember.. thats 2 companies that merged to make those profits.. now get Shell and BP together and see those profits!! With the media jumping all over that, they forget as they do in some many other controversial stories, the facts!! They need to educate themselves rather then sensationlize. If you are a stock holder of Exxon/Mobil bully for you!!

Now if they can only make an electric vehicle run on a single charge for say 1000miles then they have something! But then I'd like to see an eclectric car pull my TT and blow billowing clouds of "black death"! [8D]

Old 02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

I'll trade my CTD for one of these. 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. 220 miles per chanrge at a cost of 2 cents per mile.

I'll have a bank of solar panels in my yard and get the cost down to 0 cents per mile, unless it is cloudy.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

100K ?!!?

It's a badd azz car, but it's a little too outta my range. Hopefully someday these cars will become more affordable.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

In the video the reporter guy again mentioned the "record profit" of Exxon Mobil. For Pete's sake, Exxon Mobil is the biggest company in the world! They should have the biggest profit! In 2007 they made about $40 billion in profit on sales of about $400 billion. That's a 10% return on investment, which is very reasonable. When I worked at Northrop Grumman my sector of the company strived to make 10%. Compare Exxon Mobil's profit percentage to Microsoft's. They made $14 billion on $50 billion in sales. That is more than 25% return on sales! Why is it that nobody seems to be up in arms over Microsoft? If Exxon Mobil is "gouging the customer" and making 10% profit, what is Microsoft doing to us?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: Joel_MD

In the video the reporter guy again mentioned the "record profit" of Exxon Mobil. For Pete's sake, Exxon Mobil is the biggest company in the world! They should have the biggest profit! In 2007 they made about $40 billion in profit on sales of about $400 billion. That's a 10% return on investment, which is very reasonable. When I worked at Northrop Grumman my sector of the company strived to make 10%. Compare Exxon Mobil's profit percentage to Microsoft's. They made $14 billion on $50 billion in sales. That is more than 25% return on sales! Why is it that nobody seems to be up in arms over Microsoft? If Exxon Mobil is "gouging the customer" and making 10% profit, what is Microsoft doing to us?
My whole reason to post this wasn't because of the money they made. It was about the time frame that the government, Oil companies and experts give. Did no one catch the part about they project that in 15 years, the known oil fields will be worthless? And all the hurdles and problems with finding oil elsewhere?

That was my point. Just shoreing up my comments from the other post. It's comeing folks and it will be in my lifetime!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Joel_MD
Why is it that nobody seems to be up in arms over Microsoft?
Probably because people can survive without Microsoft, however the same can't be said for fuel.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

100K ?!!?

It's a badd azz car, but it's a little too outta my range. Hopefully someday these cars will become more affordable.
Its a good place to start. The first internal combustion engine that was put into cars 100 years ago is a joke when compared to your riding lawn mower of today. But it was a good place to start. After the Wright brothers inveted the first airplane, it took almost 50 years to put a jet engine on one. Give it time and we all will be driving these things soon enough and giving Exxon the finger as we drive by their gas stations.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
73Jim
Veteran

A pure electric car will never work, and here is why. First you need to have a basic understanding of electricity. Power (in watts) is equal to voltage times current. A good analogue is a water pump connected to a 1" diameter pipe. If the pump creates 5 pounds of pressure the flow through the pipe will be a constant and the output will be say 10 gallons of water an hour. If the pipe size is constant and the pumps pressure increases or decreases the output of water will be greater or less. If the pump stays at a constant pressure and the pipe diameter increases or decreases the output of water will be greater or less. Now replace the pump pressure with voltage, the pipe diameter with conductance (the inverse of resistance), the flow of water through the pipe with current and the output of gallons per hour with watts per hour. If the voltage is constant and the conductance goes up (resistance goes down) the current will increase and the output (watts) increases.
So here we go using my 115 hp 1994 Geo Prizm as an example: My commute to work is 30 miles and 45 minutes one way, 1.5 hrs round trip. Say I use on average ½ of the engines power for the commute 115 / 2= 57.5 hp. If I need 57.5 hp for 1.5 hours I need a total of 86.25hp or 64,342.5 watts (1 hp = 746 watts so 86.25 times 746 = 64,342.5). I need 64,342.5 watts or about 64 kW (kW = kilowatts, 1kW = 1000 watts) at the ground.
So now we know we need 64 kW on the output of the motor to complete my commute. Lets look at some of the key players in the process:
[ul][*]Electricity comes into your house as AC (alternating current) to recharge the batteries in the car. Electricity costs about $0.10 a kW per hour.[*]The batteries in the car run on DC (direct current).[*]You will need to converter to change the AC coming into the house to DC to charge the batteries. Most converters are about 95% efficient (100 watts in, 95 watts out).[*]An AC induction motor (also called a squirrel cage motor) will be needed to move the car. Most AC induction motors are about 70% efficient.[*]You will need another converter to convert the DC of the batteries to the AC the motor requires. 95% efficient.[/ul]
To sum up the process, you need to take AC from your house, convert to DC to store in the batteries, convert back to AC for the motor. If you know you need 64Kw output from the motor and you work backwards, here is what you get:
[ol][*]64kW out of the motor means 91.4kW into the motor (70% efficient) from the DC to AC converter.[*]91.4kW output from the DC to AC converter means 96.2kW into the inverter (95% efficient) from the batteries.[*]96.2kW output from the batteries needs to be charged by the AC to DC converter.[*]96.2kW output from the AC to DC converter (95% efficient) means you will need 101.3kW from your homes power.[/ol]
Sounds good, right? Well 101.3kW of power costs about $10 vs the $6 gas (60 mile round trip @ 30MPG = 2 gallons of gas @ $3.00 a gallon). So it is more expensive to purchase and drive an electric vehicle. What about charging you ask, well if you charge the car from a 110V 15A circuit, which can provide 1.65kW per hour (110 times 15 = 1650 watts or 1.65kW) it will take 61.4 hours at 1.65kW/hour to replenish the 101.3kW need for my daily commute. If you use a 220V 20A circuit, which can provide 4.4kW (220 times 20 = 4400 watts or 4.4kW) it will take 23 hours to charge enough energy for a daily commute. Lets pretend I have some special circuit of say 420V and 30A (420 times 30 =12600 watts or 12.6kW) so I can charge the batteries in about 8 hours (101.3/12.6 = 8). Even if I did have that type of outlet at my home it wouldn’t work. Why you ask? I live in southern California and during the hot summer days we have rolling blackouts because the infrastructure can’t supply enough power when everyone turns on their 2kW air conditioners. What would happen if everyone plugged in 2, 3 maybe 4 cars drawing 12.6kW each! We don’t have the infrastructure to develop that type of power (nuclear) or the ability to transmit the power to homes. I’m to trying to rain on anyone’s parade, but facts are facts. If I did something wrong let me know. Sorry about the long post, it is a lot to cover.

Quick Reply: Remember the Oil running out Thread?