Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hard Starting Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008 | 07:56 AM
rjc1
Default Hard Starting Dodge

Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check for on this? It's a 2003....it's had to crank a bit to start since we got it, the one thing we haven't liked....but now that it's gotten cold, I'm talking only in the 40's this truck has to be plugged in and the gas feed pumped to start and if it's in the 30's like today...FORGET IT!! I had it plugged in last night went to start it and cranked it until the battery started to die.....getting very frustrated!!!
Any input would be great!

Thanks, Rhonda

Old 02-08-2008 | 08:10 AM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Hard Starting Dodge

Is the fuel filter clean, air filter? These are the easy checks, How many miles are on the truck?

Old 02-08-2008 | 09:17 AM
rjc1

Hi,
Yep fuel & air filtersclean...truck has 143,000.

Rhonda

Old 02-08-2008 | 11:27 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Does your truck still have the factory lift pump? the lift pump delivers fuel from the tank to the canister where the fuel filter is. It could be crapping out. Also, check the crank position sensor, sometimes they get funky from dirt or whatever and it wont function properly. It is located on the harmonic balance. Also have you checked for codes using the key switch?

Old 02-08-2008 | 01:50 PM
rjc1

I'm gong to say yes on the lift pump...we bought this truck used and they never said anything...I'll this stuff checked out Monday...it's going in for some minor stuff and thought if I could get some ideas I could have it looked at and figure it out. Another Dodge guy around here also said it could be a fuel injector gone bad (I hope not), we hear those can get pricey to replace.....

Thanks, Rhonda

Old 02-08-2008 | 02:03 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Make sure and clean the crank position sensor bfore you spend any money. Good Luck

Old 02-08-2008 | 03:20 PM
rjc1

I forgot to answer you on the key codes, yes we had done that when we bought it.

Will do on the rest though....thanks for some suggestions. Will let you know what we find out too incase someone else ever runs into this.

Rhonda

Old 04-03-2008 | 06:38 PM
rjc1

Well we figured out why it's hard to start when it get's just a bit cold...the intake air heater solenoid is bad...which will take me to my next post. But I said I'd post a reply to this when we found out what was wrong...just took me awhile to get back. Only a 25 dollar part but having trouble getting it.(My other post)...

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Rhonda

Old 04-03-2008 | 07:16 PM
05tonner

I also was once the owner of an 03 and it too was a very hard starter. I know of several other 03's that have the same problem. As far as I know noone has figured out why many 03's start hard. My family also owns a 99, 05 and 06 and all three of them turn over no more than 2 times max before they are running. Good luck

Old 04-03-2008 | 07:38 PM
RamItOne

maybe if yalls trucks had spark plugs...hahaha.

oh i remember the cold mornings when i forgot to leave the worklight on the engine block.... and then the black smoke once you finally got her started..... like you were making a smoke screen for an aircraft carrier. .. ...

Quick Reply: Hard Starting Dodge